Apone

Permanent Fixture
Jan 19, 2012
MBTI
MEGA
Enneagram
MAN
Its not a great mystery

The corporations created an ideology called 'consumer-ism' and they pushed this down everyones throats for decades

They bombard human beings with their mind control Public relations crap from the moment a person breathes their first breath on this planet. The corporations also have huge influence on the education system and a monopoly over the mainstream media.

They have done their best to create a perception in the public consciousness; that perception is one where 'success' is seen as having lots of material things. TV teaches kids to think that way.

Humans are very adaptable; their success has been in learning to adapt to their environment. Its not their fault some very cynical people with no hope in their heart have sought to take advantage of them

Except consumerism predates corporations by centuries-- the difference now is that scarcity hurts business and consumption drives profits.

And yes, it is their fault. There is no valid excuse not to be a better person than the media might want you to be... and there's a difference between succumbing to influence and being rendered incapable of making a choice. Anyone is capable of improving themselves, and attributing personal failings to a shadowy entity is counterproductive and to be honest I think it's a large part of why people are capable of feeling good about doing bad things-- because they're not holding themselves accountable for their own destructive actions, and projecting blame onto the corporations.

Yes, the corporations are irresponsible, but the thing is that most of us already know that the corporations are irresponsible and yet we're still buying whatever they make.

Some corporations are integral to modern society because there's simply no way that smaller businesses could ever build cities-- you can't just wake up one morning and say 'hey, I think I'm going to go into the infrastructure business'. You can't go to the moon without a corporation, and without consumerism chances are people would be starving to death a lot more often... if there wasn't demand, production would decrease and you'd be on your own, which unless you know what you're doing and have the means to do it, isn't necessarily the liberating prospect most people think it is.

On the other hand, things like smartphones are NOT essential and in fact make our lives much worse than they could be... there's a disgusting amount of money spent on status symbols and leisure and nasty food that could be otherwise put into more productive things. The problem isn't that corporations exist, it's that they're not responsible enough and there's no incentive to make them more responsible, because that's not where the demand is.

If it were possible, I'm sure the corporations would love to sell us things that would lead to a cleaner better world-- the people running them want to live on a nice planet and improve conditions for everyone as well, the problem is that they haven't found a way to make it profitable and in the meantime the oil industry is using bullshit conspiracies to cover up the fact that they're being completely reckless and irresponsible with the future of our planet, and the same goes for plastics and other types of non-essential manufacturing that move to places where environmental regulations are crap.

If people refused to buy into this shit then we'd all be a lot happier, but it's too much work to redefine our lifestyles in an ethically responsible fashion, and since there's little social pressure to make responsible choices it continues to not happen.

Last edited:
Everything they want is cheaply made, low quality shit (aka swag); and you shouldn't have to work that hard to own shit. In fact I make my own.

Not surprising but it's not about consumerism. It's about gotta-have-it-ism. Everything is a need, not just a want. And if you want it, you must have it, making it a need. If you have a culture which says you have a "right" to everything you've ever wanted, should get it, and not have to work as hard to have it, and someone is willing to give it to you without you having to make an enormous amount of effort to earn or deserve it, then why would you not want to have it? Why would you turn it down? The younger generation is pretty smart. They know what's out there and what's available to them. They know that it's about using what you have access to, by being good at knowing how to use what's available. The focus is on the ends, not the means. It's about having access, and working hard to make it easier to have products, services, and technology more easily accessible. So, making things hard to have or achieve would not likely be the goal of modern technological generations. Younger generations have also seen previous generations work themselves to the bone trying to given them the opportunities they never had so that life would be easier for future generations. So, the younger generation of today are benefitting from the hard work of their ancestors which was kinda the plan of previous generations, to make life easier so that they wouldn't have to work as hard. And yeah, we are a materialistic culture today because we're socialized to think of value in terms of what you can physically touch and see, tangible benefits, rather than spiritual values (the intangible system of value which was predominant before the modern and postmodern age).

Except consumerism predates corporations by centuries-- the difference now is that scarcity hurts business and consumption drives profits.

And yes, it is their fault. There is no valid excuse not to be a better person than the media might want you to be... and there's a difference between succumbing to influence and being rendered incapable of making a choice. Anyone is capable of improving themselves, and attributing personal failings to a shadowy entity is counterproductive and to be honest I think it's a large part of why people are capable of feeling good about doing bad things-- because they're not holding themselves accountable for their own destructive actions, and projecting blame onto the corporations.

Yes, the corporations are irresponsible, but the thing is that most of us already know that the corporations are irresponsible and yet we're still buying whatever they make.

Some corporations are integral to modern society because there's simply no way that smaller businesses could ever build cities-- you can't just wake up one morning and say 'hey, I think I'm going to go into the infrastructure business'. You can't go to the moon without a corporation, and without consumerism chances are people would be starving to death a lot more often... if there wasn't demand, production would decrease and you'd be on your own, which unless you know what you're doing and have the means to do it, isn't necessarily the liberating prospect most people think it is.

On the other hand, things like smartphones are NOT essential and in fact make our lives much worse than they could be... there's a disgusting amount of money spent on status symbols and leisure and nasty food that could be otherwise put into more productive things. The problem isn't that corporations exist, it's that they're not responsible enough and there's no incentive to make them more responsible, because that's not where the demand is.

If it were possible, I'm sure the corporations would love to sell us things that would lead to a cleaner better world-- the people running them want to live on a nice planet and improve conditions for everyone as well, the problem is that they haven't found a way to make it profitable and in the meantime the oil industry is using bullshit conspiracies to cover up the fact that they're being completely reckless and irresponsible with the future of our planet, and the same goes for plastics and other types of non-essential manufacturing that move to places where environmental regulations are crap.

If people refused to buy into this shit then we'd all be a lot happier, but it's too much work to redefine our lifestyles in an ethically responsible fashion, and since there's little social pressure to make responsible choices it continues to not happen.

People aren't incapable of saving themselves, but you do have to acknowledge the obvious correlation between the growth of media influence (especially frivolous, materialism-centered media) and the results of this study.

You say that people are incapable of holding themselves accountable and instead project their blame onto corporations. Perhaps such a dramatic shift in culture was helped being ushered in by mass media in the first place. You have all these problems in your life and you should blame the corporations and mass media for them, now buy this product and it will help you make your life a little better while you're stuck in your shitty society! -- Is that not a convenient, "we're one of you"-type message for coporations and affiliated media producers to want to be projecting?

It's easy to be conditioned to instant gratification if the resources are always in front of your face.

Case in point: my 2nd grader wrote this:

IMG_1989red.jpg

At least he WAS worried about the toilet.
Smiley-Faint.gif
I'm only worried if the teacher knows that a garage sell is a garage sale (bad grammar mistake by most southerners.) BTW, all the kids in the class wrote a story about "a bad monkey" based on some silly book.

Last edited:
It's easy to be conditioned to instant gratification if the resources are always in front of your face.

Case in point: my 2nd grader wrote this:

IMG_1989red.jpg

At least he WAS worried about the toilet.
Smiley-Faint.gif
I'm only worried if the teacher knows that a garage sell is a garage sale (bad grammar mistake by most southerners.) BTW, all the kids in the class wrote a story about "a bad monkey" based on some silly book.

Wow your kid has his own iPad? What a baller.