Katharine and Isabel Briggs type? | INFJ Forum

Katharine and Isabel Briggs type?

Apr 28, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
United States
I'm having difficulty finding out what thinking type Katharine Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers were. Anyone know the answer? Also a source of information would be nice if you know one.

I believe Isabel was a self typed INFP.

Keirsey types Isabel Myers as an INFP and Carl Jung as an INFJ.

http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/famous_idealists.asp

I think I read ages ago that Katharine Briggs was an INFJ but I can't remember anymore where.

When I first read Carl Jung's book I thought he was an INTP. It seemed like such a cold and less than flattering view of human pyschology.

But more I think about it the MBTI typology is a very Ni view of the world not a Ti view of the world. It integrates opposites, contradictions basically. Ni is very at home with contradictions.

Last edited:
But more I think about it the MBTI typology is a very Ni view of the world not a Ti view of the world. It integrates opposites, contradictions basically. Ni is very at home with contradictions.

True dat.

It always astounds me when people claim he's a Ti dom. The man lived and breathed inductive archetypes, and had a strong focus on introspective ideas, gauging visions out of the subconsciousness. It doesn't get any more Ni than that. the whole *collective* subconsciousness idea is so ridiculously Ni-Fe. The ISTP claim makes about zero sense to me. He sure used a lot of Ti to systemize his data and valued an empirical approach, but his theories were anything but. It's very apparent his ideas were rooted in Ni, not Ti. Ti was just the tool for presentation, the screening filter.

True dat.

It always astounds me when people claim he's a Ti dom. The man lived and breathed inductive archetypes, and had a strong focus on introspective ideas, gauging visions out of the subconsciousness. It doesn't get any more Ni than that. the whole *collective* subconsciousness idea is so ridiculously Ni-Fe. The ISTP claim makes about zero sense to me. He sure used a lot of Ti to systemize his data and valued an empirical approach, but his theories were anything but. It's very apparent his ideas were rooted in Ni, not Ti. Ti was just the tool for presentation, the screening filter.

The typology police would like to have a word with you lady.

Reactions: not sure
The typology police would like to have a word with you lady.

LOL. That’s funny. I don’t like the negative connotation that comes with it though, but thanks for making me laugh.

The issue here is that we have SEVERAL models of typology being used. At the top of all this is Carl Jung (arguably since we could go with other models that he used to come up with his ideas.)

So 1.) Carl Jung.

Then we have the people that spread out from Carl Jung and the common theories being used.

2a.) Socionics 2b.) MBTI 2c.) Beebe 2d.) Etc.

Each of these took the work of Carl Jung and interpreted it in their own way. Beebe’s being the closest.

Then you have things that spawned from those like Keirsey, etc.

An exact tree gets kinda hard since a lot of them start borrowing off each other or arriving to similar ideas.

For instance, Keirsey’s model is constantly synonymous with MBTI; however, those who read Keirsey will see that he doesn’t actually agree with the MBTI system. Stating that Myers is a “layman”, on page 13 of Please Understand Me II, who completely misinterpreted Jung’s ideas. (I believe this) He goes on to show that Myer used the terms Intuition, Sensing, etc. but not in the way they were meant to be interpreted.

However, Kerisey, an INTP (I believe) by his own system, goes through and shows proof that he too is misinterpreting a lot of Carl Jung’s ideas as well and I began to start to questioning if he has actually read the book “Psychological Types” and if so, was that the ONLY piece of work he read by Carl Jung? I plan to list out all the comparisons later with the rest of the Admins at PersonalityNation, but atm you’ll have to take my word for it, because it would be too long to explain in this medium.

Beebe is a lot closer to Carl Jung’s model; however, he’s the one that brought in the idea of the 8 function model. He based this idea off of a speech given by Carl Jung’s start pupil (can’t recall the name atm, will have to search for it.) The pupil stated why it would be very destructive if a person had both attitudes of the same function within’ their conscious and that’s where Beebe, an ENTP, got his idea for an 8 Function model. A lot of people subscribe to this theory; however, amateurs on Personality Websites destroy this model thinking that means it’s ok to be Ne, Ni, Ti, Te and that they have no Se, Si, Fi, Fe (or any other combination). By this theory, if you were an ENTP with high Ni, you wouldn’t be able to function at all. Probably couldn’t even read the posts on this forum.

MBTI is based off a sliding scale of BEHAVIOR that was a loose interpretation of Carl Jung’s work. There is already an article on this somewhere on this forum and at PerN.

Anyways, this isn’t something that you’re just going to KNOW.

I’ve read several books, lectures, and viewed several sites. Carl Jung has been typed INTP, INFJ, and INTJ by a lot of analysts in the United States through MBTI, Socionics, Keirsey, Bebee’s model, etc.

What’s interesting though is that a lot of the European analysts believe he’s an ISTP.

What’s even MORE INTERESTING is that Carl Jung states that his dominant function is Introverted Thinking, his auxillary is Sensing, his tertiary introverted intuition, and his inferior is extraverted feeling. He actually states this in several forms in Psychological Types AND in his 1925 and 1935 lectures.

So Carl Jung, and most European Jungian Analysts believe he is an ISTP using the 4 letter code.

Everyone else wants to scrounge around and say he’s something else (by their systems).

So maybe it’s true that Carl Jung is an INFJ by MBTI standards. Maybe it’s true that he’s an INTP by Keirsey’s standards, and so forth. What does that really mean though?

Who do you believe?

Ultimately it will come down to what you think/believe/value based off the information you know/understand.

It reminds me of Aristarchus of Samos, who postulated that the Earth revolved around the sun. Not many people liked that idea, and that idea had been around for centuries before Copernicus’ revolution started.

People refused to believe this idea because it was always taught other ways. “How can you say that the Earth is moving when I drop this rock and it does not go anywhere but down?” <<< That type of reasoning, although seemingly legitimate and hard to answer (most people can’t answer that now), held up for centuries. Christians killed “Pagans” by the masses who didn’t believe that the Earth was the center. “That’s against God’s ideas!”

Some people don’t question what they believe, or cannot. I must.

That’s one of the reasons PersonalityNation exists. To unravel just a little bit more, and get closer to an answer. If it does that then it will have served a huge purpose.

Now I must leave before people come in stating that I’m just advertising. XD

Keirsey types Isabel Myers as an INFP and Carl Jung as an INFJ.

http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/famous_idealists.asp

I think I read ages ago that Katharine Briggs was an INFJ but I can't remember anymore where.

When I first read Carl Jung's book I thought he was an INTP. It seemed like such a cold and less than flattering view of human pyschology.

I've read this as well. Carl Jung's Ni and Ti were very clear, and he'd claimed himself to be Ni/Ti, and called it a "Pure Type". He was just an INFJ with a weak Fe.

Jung did type himself as ISTP, however since he apparently mistyped many people using his own system he could have also have mistyped himself.

Why are you clinging so much to what Jung said? Taking him at face value contradicts your and by extension PerN purpose which you stated here.

Some people don

Why are you clinging so much to what Jung said? Taking him at face value contradicts your and by extension PerN purpose which you stated here.

I didn't state Jung said he was a "pure type". I'm sure it can be found out with some googling.

Please refer to what you’re stating. You quoted me and gave me the “pure types” when I’m asking for how that explains he is an INFJ.

Not ONE person has come up with a reputable response or shown any explanation for why he is an INFJ. I’d be willing to believe it if someone could shed light or show any evidence of understanding. I’ve been told that Jung himself stated he was an INFJ. I’ve been told that Jung stated he was an INTP in a video by the Myer Briggs System. So far all of it has been a lie.

I mean, wouldn’t it be MORE likely, that you, having neglected to read his books, have mistyped Carl Jung using a severe misinterpretation of his works by both you and anyone else who you've been learning from?

Why has that not been an option? Because then you would have to admit that you were wrong?

Oh? Who did he mistype by his own system?

How can someone who developed the system mistype themselves? O.O

Freud and a few other people apparently. I couldn't give you the details.

Jung can be good at observing other people and making systems but it doesn't mean he will be good at analyzing himself.

Ohhhh, I get yah now. My bad.

I know what Carl Jung typed Freud as, but could you please tell me what that type is and what type supposedly is his actual type?

Thanks and sorry for the misinterpretation.

What are you trying to do? To test me?