Joe Rogan | INFJ Forum

Joe Rogan

Discussion in 'Art, Entertainment, and Media' started by slant, Apr 27, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by slant
  1. slant

    slant Ruby Adoraboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    317
    Messages:
    9,133
    Featured Threads:
    32
    Likes Received:
    10,124
    Trophy Points:
    1,616
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    What do you think about Joe Rogan and his podcast, The Joe Rogan experience?

    I recently mentioned I listened to his podcast to someone who had a very negative view of him and felt he was a conservative like Glen Beck. That was interesting to me!

    So I would love to hear other people's perceptions on this guy who runs arguably the most popular podcast in the world.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    237
    Messages:
    33,191
    Featured Threads:
    18
    Likes Received:
    169,838
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    Been listening to him for a long time and have been a fan of his comedy for a long time.
    I appreciate how he tries to engage in things with a level of curiosity before engaging with his actual opinions.
    I think that mindset has allowed him to understand most things with less bias/more clarity overall.

    lmao
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    slant

    slant Ruby Adoraboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    317
    Messages:
    9,133
    Featured Threads:
    32
    Likes Received:
    10,124
    Trophy Points:
    1,616
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Right? But I think there may be a thing with mainstream liberal media that portrays him in a different light
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    237
    Messages:
    33,191
    Featured Threads:
    18
    Likes Received:
    169,838
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    He was once considered "extremely left" and is now basically a moderate
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    slant

    slant Ruby Adoraboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    317
    Messages:
    9,133
    Featured Threads:
    32
    Likes Received:
    10,124
    Trophy Points:
    1,616
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Do you think that is his opinions changing or the political landscape itself shifting?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Daustus

    Daustus Meat Mech Pilot

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2019
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    1,540
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    9,696
    Trophy Points:
    1,372
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    USA
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I listen to Joe in spurts. I think Wyote's correct and he's basically a moderate now. I don't support all his views but he does seem to ask questions then talk to experts on both sides and then generally make decisions. He's more than just a MMA commentator and comedian. I think he's smarter than he appears.
     
  7. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    237
    Messages:
    33,191
    Featured Threads:
    18
    Likes Received:
    169,838
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    It's definitely a little of both, but I feel like it's more a mix of his ability to convey his actual opinions more accurately coupled with the shifting landscape
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Ace17

    Ace17 Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2020
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    60
    Trophy Points:
    772
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Boston
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w9
    I think he's an interesting guy for sure. I think he's a mixed bag. Left wingers will hate him because he has right wingers on his podcast. Right wingers will hate him because he has left wingers on his podcast. What's clear is that he doesn't have a particularly strong ideology either way - his opinions seem fairly malleable. I think he represents a lot of Americans, honestly. Plenty of Americans don't adhere to a political party, and consider themselves swing voters. I think instead of vilifying people like him, we should listen, because they play an important role in how elections turn out regardless if we agree with them or not.
     
    Skarekrow, slant, Wyote and 1 other person like this.
  9. OP
    slant

    slant Ruby Adoraboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    317
    Messages:
    9,133
    Featured Threads:
    32
    Likes Received:
    10,124
    Trophy Points:
    1,616
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    This is a great post and it gets me thinking.

    As such a widely popular podcast, from a sociological point of view it is fascinating to study Rogan and why he is popular. He could easily be used as a case study for many societal issues we are facing.

    If we ask,

    Why is Rogan getting so many listens?

    What does the popularity of Rogan say about society?

    We might get some interesting discussions going.

    Personally I think Rogans charm I would compare to Art Bell. That may seem like a strange comparison, but hear me out.

    For those of you who aren't familiar with Art Bell; Art Bell was the original host of a popular late night radio show called "Coast to coast". It was mainly targeted at exploring supernatural theories, but I would say as time went on, it also ended up exploring conspiracy theories and in a sense preventing an "alternate" point of view that mainstream media would never cover. Many people only listened to this radio program on Halloween because they open the phone lines and let people share their spooky stories.

    Much of what was on Coast to coast made no sense and was nutty. Sometimes though they would touch on things that has legitimate evidence behind it but mainstream media wouldn't touch because of corporate interests. The mix of true and false allowed the program to continue because people who wanted to discredit the show had no trouble; point out the whacky ideas and it made the legitimate ones automatically invalid.

    One of the reasons the show was so successful was Art Bells unique style of hosting. Unlike talk radio, Art Bell was not a moderator: he did not often interject his opinions or debate people. He would, however, probe his guests with questions phrased like,

    "I think what you're saying makes sense. [Validating the views to relax the guest]. But that about people who say x y and z? What do you say to those people?"

    These methods generally allowed bell to get the guest to talk without getting defensive and to extract more information from them. Notice, though, that Bell never said he agreed. He was simply letting people say what they had to say and questioning them to get a better understanding.

    Rogan, mostly, follows this format. He does have his own views and will share them but rarely does he do this in a situation where it may threaten a guests openness. Much of Rogans opinions are shared on his more casual podcasts with his comedian friends. When he has someone to share information he is much more reminiscent of art.

    By straddling the line of opinions viewers on both sides can relate. He even appeals to conspiracy theorists by regularly bringing theories up with the warning,
    "I'm not saying this is true, but..." Which theorist believers dismiss as him having to say that. Those who don't believe them are satisfied with Rogans delicate rejection of them.

    Very, very smart.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wildfire, Wyote, Reason and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pin

    Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    9,219
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    33,937
    Trophy Points:
    2,976
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    I like seeing him talk to experts.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Daustus

    Daustus Meat Mech Pilot

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2019
    Threads:
    5
    Messages:
    1,540
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    9,696
    Trophy Points:
    1,372
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    USA
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I agree. I like that his first reaction is to talk to firsthand sources.
     
    Reason, Pin, slant and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ace17

    Ace17 Newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2020
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    60
    Trophy Points:
    772
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Boston
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w9
    Yeah, I agree. His format is so great that it makes me wonder if he's doing it on purpose, or if he's naturally this way. It's funny because I'm always observing a hosts' interviewing style, and how they perform will ultimately determine whether or not I'll watch. The cool thing about Rogan is that he's extremely conversational, and he lets people actually respond to his comments. Nothing makes me more angry then when I see a host interviewing a person, and the host doesn't them finish. I'm always thinking, "why are you asking the question if you won't let them answer??" A good example of a terrible host (in my opinion) is Chris Matthews. This guy will never let anyone get a word in!

    I think he asks the right questions, too. There's a particular way an interviewer asks a question that can lead to a long, thoughtful answer. Another person I liked in the past was Jian Ghomeshi, before his whole assault scandal...which was unfortunate, because he asked really great questions.
     
  13. Reason

    Reason United Earth Directorate

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2017
    Threads:
    51
    Messages:
    5,605
    Featured Threads:
    34
    Likes Received:
    32,999
    Trophy Points:
    3,462
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    The Roaring 20s
    MBTI:
    INTP
    You have a friend who does no fact checking lol
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Skarekrow, slant, Wyote and 1 other person like this.
  14. OP
    slant

    slant Ruby Adoraboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    317
    Messages:
    9,133
    Featured Threads:
    32
    Likes Received:
    10,124
    Trophy Points:
    1,616
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Thankfully this person wasn't a friend. Someone I was talking to on a dating app who progressively got angrier and angrier at me after I had mentioned Joe rogan and concluded our conversation by telling me they hoped I overcame my racism. I do too, honestly.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wyote, Reason and Skarekrow like this.
  15. Reason

    Reason United Earth Directorate

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2017
    Threads:
    51
    Messages:
    5,605
    Featured Threads:
    34
    Likes Received:
    32,999
    Trophy Points:
    3,462
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    The Roaring 20s
    MBTI:
    INTP
    He's right, by listening to Joe Rogan you are not only guilty of every ism there is you are also single-handedly destroying the universe.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Skarekrow, Wyote and slant like this.
  16. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    237
    Messages:
    33,191
    Featured Threads:
    18
    Likes Received:
    169,838
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    [​IMG]
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Skarekrow, Reason and slant like this.
  17. Wyote

    Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    237
    Messages:
    33,191
    Featured Threads:
    18
    Likes Received:
    169,838
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    You will also get AIDS and DIE
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Skarekrow, Reason and slant like this.
  18. Korg

    Korg ▄ ▄

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2009
    Threads:
    92
    Messages:
    3,010
    Featured Threads:
    3
    Likes Received:
    2,577
    Trophy Points:
    878
    MBTI:
    -
    Enneagram:
    -
    I like his podcast when he interviews guests who are experts in fields that interest me, but it's really about the longform / unedited format more than anything Joe is doing.

    I will say I've never wanted to punch my monitor more than the last ~35 minutes of the Nick Bostrom interview, though. Jesus H Christ, can someone please explain probability to Joe? I guess Nick tried (heroically and patiently), but it was just too much for Joe's sub-100 IQ mongoloid brain.

    See if you can get through it without facepalming once (skip to 1:56:00)

     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    slant and Asa like this.
  19. Asa

    Asa Resident palindrome

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2015
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    6,467
    Featured Threads:
    23
    Likes Received:
    37,942
    Trophy Points:
    1,956
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5
    I don't watch his podcast. I really should give it a try.
    Ehhhhhh... There is a whole weird thing about him that makes me avoid him, but I should really experience his show first hand. I've been told he is worth watching when knowledgable guests are on.

    Has Eli Roth ever been on his show?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    slant, philostam and Hostarius like this.
  20. Hostarius

    Hostarius L I G E T I C

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2018
    Threads:
    43
    Messages:
    11,655
    Featured Threads:
    20
    Likes Received:
    82,738
    Trophy Points:
    4,256
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Perfidious Albion
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Go on...
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Reason, slant and acd like this.

Share This Page