Joe Rogan | INFJ Forum

Joe Rogan

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
What do you think about Joe Rogan and his podcast, The Joe Rogan experience?

I recently mentioned I listened to his podcast to someone who had a very negative view of him and felt he was a conservative like Glen Beck. That was interesting to me!

So I would love to hear other people's perceptions on this guy who runs arguably the most popular podcast in the world.

Been listening to him for a long time and have been a fan of his comedy for a long time.
I appreciate how he tries to engage in things with a level of curiosity before engaging with his actual opinions.
I think that mindset has allowed him to understand most things with less bias/more clarity overall.

like Glen Beck

lmao

Been listening to him for a long time and have been a fan of his comedy for a long time.
I appreciate how he tries to engage in things with a level of curiosity before engaging with his actual opinions.
I think that mindset has allowed him to understand most things with less bias/more clarity overall.

lmao
Right? But I think there may be a thing with mainstream liberal media that portrays him in a different light

Right? But I think there may be a thing with mainstream liberal media that portrays him in a different light

He was once considered "extremely left" and is now basically a moderate

I listen to Joe in spurts. I think Wyote's correct and he's basically a moderate now. I don't support all his views but he does seem to ask questions then talk to experts on both sides and then generally make decisions. He's more than just a MMA commentator and comedian. I think he's smarter than he appears.

Do you think that is his opinions changing or the political landscape itself shifting?

It's definitely a little of both, but I feel like it's more a mix of his ability to convey his actual opinions more accurately coupled with the shifting landscape

What do you think about Joe Rogan and his podcast, The Joe Rogan experience?

I recently mentioned I listened to his podcast to someone who had a very negative view of him and felt he was a conservative like Glen Beck. That was interesting to me!

So I would love to hear other people's perceptions on this guy who runs arguably the most popular podcast in the world.

I think he's an interesting guy for sure. I think he's a mixed bag. Left wingers will hate him because he has right wingers on his podcast. Right wingers will hate him because he has left wingers on his podcast. What's clear is that he doesn't have a particularly strong ideology either way - his opinions seem fairly malleable. I think he represents a lot of Americans, honestly. Plenty of Americans don't adhere to a political party, and consider themselves swing voters. I think instead of vilifying people like him, we should listen, because they play an important role in how elections turn out regardless if we agree with them or not.

I think he's an interesting guy for sure. I think he's a mixed bag. Left wingers will hate him because he has right wingers on his podcast. Right wingers will hate him because he has left wingers on his podcast. What's clear is that he doesn't have a particularly strong ideology either way - his opinions seem fairly malleable. I think he represents a lot of Americans, honestly. Plenty of Americans don't adhere to a political party, and consider themselves swing voters. I think instead of vilifying people like him, we should listen, because they play an important role in how elections turn out regardless if we agree with them or not.

This is a great post and it gets me thinking.

As such a widely popular podcast, from a sociological point of view it is fascinating to study Rogan and why he is popular. He could easily be used as a case study for many societal issues we are facing.

If we ask,

Why is Rogan getting so many listens?

What does the popularity of Rogan say about society?

We might get some interesting discussions going.

Personally I think Rogans charm I would compare to Art Bell. That may seem like a strange comparison, but hear me out.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Art Bell; Art Bell was the original host of a popular late night radio show called "Coast to coast". It was mainly targeted at exploring supernatural theories, but I would say as time went on, it also ended up exploring conspiracy theories and in a sense preventing an "alternate" point of view that mainstream media would never cover. Many people only listened to this radio program on Halloween because they open the phone lines and let people share their spooky stories.

Much of what was on Coast to coast made no sense and was nutty. Sometimes though they would touch on things that has legitimate evidence behind it but mainstream media wouldn't touch because of corporate interests. The mix of true and false allowed the program to continue because people who wanted to discredit the show had no trouble; point out the whacky ideas and it made the legitimate ones automatically invalid.

One of the reasons the show was so successful was Art Bells unique style of hosting. Unlike talk radio, Art Bell was not a moderator: he did not often interject his opinions or debate people. He would, however, probe his guests with questions phrased like,

"I think what you're saying makes sense. [Validating the views to relax the guest]. But that about people who say x y and z? What do you say to those people?"

These methods generally allowed bell to get the guest to talk without getting defensive and to extract more information from them. Notice, though, that Bell never said he agreed. He was simply letting people say what they had to say and questioning them to get a better understanding.

Rogan, mostly, follows this format. He does have his own views and will share them but rarely does he do this in a situation where it may threaten a guests openness. Much of Rogans opinions are shared on his more casual podcasts with his comedian friends. When he has someone to share information he is much more reminiscent of art.

By straddling the line of opinions viewers on both sides can relate. He even appeals to conspiracy theorists by regularly bringing theories up with the warning,
"I'm not saying this is true, but..." Which theorist believers dismiss as him having to say that. Those who don't believe them are satisfied with Rogans delicate rejection of them.

Very, very smart.

This is a great post and it gets me thinking.

As such a widely popular podcast, from a sociological point of view it is fascinating to study Rogan and why he is popular. He could easily be used as a case study for many societal issues we are facing.

If we ask,

Why is Rogan getting so many listens?

What does the popularity of Rogan say about society?

We might get some interesting discussions going.

Personally I think Rogans charm I would compare to Art Bell. That may seem like a strange comparison, but hear me out.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Art Bell; Art Bell was the original host of a popular late night radio show called "Coast to coast". It was mainly targeted at exploring supernatural theories, but I would say as time went on, it also ended up exploring conspiracy theories and in a sense preventing an "alternate" point of view that mainstream media would never cover. Many people only listened to this radio program on Halloween because they open the phone lines and let people share their spooky stories.

Much of what was on Coast to coast made no sense and was nutty. Sometimes though they would touch on things that has legitimate evidence behind it but mainstream media wouldn't touch because of corporate interests. The mix of true and false allowed the program to continue because people who wanted to discredit the show had no trouble; point out the whacky ideas and it made the legitimate ones automatically invalid.

One of the reasons the show was so successful was Art Bells unique style of hosting. Unlike talk radio, Art Bell was not a moderator: he did not often interject his opinions or debate people. He would, however, probe his guests with questions phrased like,

"I think what you're saying makes sense. [Validating the views to relax the guest]. But that about people who say x y and z? What do you say to those people?"

These methods generally allowed bell to get the guest to talk without getting defensive and to extract more information from them. Notice, though, that Bell never said he agreed. He was simply letting people say what they had to say and questioning them to get a better understanding.

Rogan, mostly, follows this format. He does have his own views and will share them but rarely does he do this in a situation where it may threaten a guests openness. Much of Rogans opinions are shared on his more casual podcasts with his comedian friends. When he has someone to share information he is much more reminiscent of art.

By straddling the line of opinions viewers on both sides can relate. He even appeals to conspiracy theorists by regularly bringing theories up with the warning,
"I'm not saying this is true, but..." Which theorist believers dismiss as him having to say that. Those who don't believe them are satisfied with Rogans delicate rejection of them.

Very, very smart.

Yeah, I agree. His format is so great that it makes me wonder if he's doing it on purpose, or if he's naturally this way. It's funny because I'm always observing a hosts' interviewing style, and how they perform will ultimately determine whether or not I'll watch. The cool thing about Rogan is that he's extremely conversational, and he lets people actually respond to his comments. Nothing makes me more angry then when I see a host interviewing a person, and the host doesn't them finish. I'm always thinking, "why are you asking the question if you won't let them answer??" A good example of a terrible host (in my opinion) is Chris Matthews. This guy will never let anyone get a word in!

I think he asks the right questions, too. There's a particular way an interviewer asks a question that can lead to a long, thoughtful answer. Another person I liked in the past was Jian Ghomeshi, before his whole assault scandal...which was unfortunate, because he asked really great questions.

You have a friend who does no fact checking lol
Thankfully this person wasn't a friend. Someone I was talking to on a dating app who progressively got angrier and angrier at me after I had mentioned Joe rogan and concluded our conversation by telling me they hoped I overcame my racism. I do too, honestly.

Thankfully this person wasn't a friend. Someone I was talking to on a dating app who progressively got angrier and angrier at me after I had mentioned Joe rogan and concluded our conversation by telling me they hoped I overcame my racism. I do too, honestly.
He's right, by listening to Joe Rogan you are not only guilty of every ism there is you are also single-handedly destroying the universe.

He's right, by listening to Joe Rogan you are not only guilty of every ism there is you are also single-handedly destroying the universe.

giphy.gif

You will also get AIDS and DIE

I like his podcast when he interviews guests who are experts in fields that interest me, but it's really about the longform / unedited format more than anything Joe is doing.

I will say I've never wanted to punch my monitor more than the last ~35 minutes of the Nick Bostrom interview, though. Jesus H Christ, can someone please explain probability to Joe? I guess Nick tried (heroically and patiently), but it was just too much for Joe's sub-100 IQ mongoloid brain.

See if you can get through it without facepalming once (skip to 1:56:00)

Reactions: slant and Asa
I don't watch his podcast. I really should give it a try.
Ehhhhhh... There is a whole weird thing about him that makes me avoid him, but I should really experience his show first hand. I've been told he is worth watching when knowledgable guests are on.

Has Eli Roth ever been on his show?