Its How You Say It Too | INFJ Forum

Its How You Say It Too

Nixie

Resurrected
Aug 23, 2010
Oregon
MBTI
ENTP
I have been having thoughts on relating to others. I know that when I talk to people who come to me for help that I have found that it is important to be able to say the same thing in many different ways. I have spoken with lots of people and I can tell when they just don't understand my point--so I will change tactics and attempt to reach them another way. I am not really saying anything different--I am just saying it using different language, examples, points of view, differing emphasis of importance--whatever.

I have also found that I really appreciate meeting people that I resonate with--the way they say things is exceptionally clear. I may not agree with what they say, but I understand their vision about life or stance on things. There is a special sort of thrill of meeting someone that you feel this type of connection with because it isn't common.

I know that a lot of INFJ end up being the type of person other people seek help from--so have you developed the ability to try and relate your idea to others in multiple ways? Communication is a skill. Do you feel that you are better than average? Poor? Being able to reach different people in different ways requires flexibiliy and multiple ways of looking at things. Do you feel you have that?

Yes and I'm speaking for myself but I think it's more something I've always been able to do rather than something I had to develop.

Something I'm constantly trying to develop.

There's always different ways of speaking to people. Depending on the softness, perspective, and way of speaking.

But I found some people (of any MBTI types) can see certain 'core' of things regardless of how you said it. :| in those cases, how I approach things have little to no effect like the way good icing does little to bad cakes. Thus my desire to learn better. :|

This is pretty much second nature to me. I've always been able to sync up with just about anyone I want to. It's still amazing when I come across people that require no effort to do so though.

It's something I work on all the time still, even though it is sort of an inuitive natural ability. I am always looking to improve my social skills because I navigate through life this way.

First of all, thanks for putting up this post, it's interesting.

I totally agree with you, there are lots of times that i feel i have to change tactics in order to get through to somebody with what i have to say. It is pretty amazing when we meet people who (for lack of a better phrase) just 'get me'. There doesn't have to be too much extraneous effort to communicate and I don't often get misinterpreted in these circumstances, so it's nice when it happens. It's nice that we can mirror and reflect and shape ourselves to get through to people - i see it as a really cool gift to have! :)

I think I can. And I am still learning how. But I also know that there are some things you just can't do because you lack the experience. So if your isolated it becomes harder to communicate with multiple types of people. I really enjoy talking to lively elderly folks. Even when I was a kid I would talk to people and listen to them. Their lives fascinated me. And my mind would try to imagine their descriptions. It was always a bonus if they had photographs to show.