Is your EN/IN opposite a mirror? | INFJ Forum

Is your EN/IN opposite a mirror?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
When you meet your extroverted or introverted opposite, do they seem like a mirror? Do you see yourself as their twin? What are similarities and differences?

By E/I opposites, I mean INFJ/ENFJ, ISFJ/ESFJ, INTP/ENTP, ISTP/ESTP, INTJ/ENTJ, ISTJ/ESTJ, INFP/ENFP, ISFP/ESFP, etc.

Last edited:
ENFJ:
I've only met one person (face-to-face) who claimed to be an ENFJ and everyone was startled by how much I disliked her right away. It's unusual for me to feel a negative reaction unless I sense danger or deceit. With her, I simply wanted her out of my life STAT.
She kept following me around, and (without knowing who he was) insulted my husband in an effort to play the "let's bond by talking trash about other party guests", which was the end of my interaction with her. I openly snubbed her, which I don't do, and walked all the way to the other end of the room to talk to someone else. (Edit: To be clear - Everything she said while we interacted was mean and a bit bullying.)

In reality, I think she was faking her type because I met her while a friend and I were discussing MBTI and she laughed at us because she thought it was nonsense. She only told us her type when we announced ours, then tried to form a bond with me when she said she was an ENFJ. (Her real type?: PSYCHO)

I don't know anyone who claims to be an ESTP, either. I'd like to meet some in person to see what my shadow traits look like when they're healthy.

I'm sure I've met many ENFJs and ESTPs in person, but most people I know are not interested in MBTI.

Last edited:
I edited the OP to include other opposites besides intuitive opposites. Thanks @Asa

Reactions: James
I've met quite a few ENFPs in person and they are very easy going and self driven. They have a great attitude. They are very independent and don't handle boundaries well. They tend to be free spirits. They tend to be very social and relaxed, and are often the calm in the storm. They are good at breaking the tension and making moods light if things are tense. But they can also be a bit too relaxed sometimes, and may not realize when to be serious. But mostly, they are pretty cool.

Reactions: Marllon and Asa
Your description of ENFPs is lovely. I have a friend who is an ENFP and he is the most introverted of the Es I've met. He is engaging, funny, kind, and good at being both provocative and keeping the peace. He was a writer for very witty TV show.

Reactions: Marllon and Gaze
Your description of ENFPs is lovely. I have a friend who is an ENFP and he is the most introverted of the Es I've met. He is engaging, funny, kind, and good at being both provocative and keeping the peace. He was a writer for very witty TV show.

Thanks. Yes, they can be a bit quieter than other types probably because of the N. They are often highly intelligent as many other types of course, but tend to be humble about it. They don't boast or come across as smarter than everyone. They are the "quiet" smarties. They'd rather have fun and make sure everyone has a good time.

Reactions: Asa and James
Those who have seemed like my mirror haven't actually just been my I/E opposite. Like, my ESTP friend often feels like my mirror, with her Se Ti Fe Ni. Typically if someone is, for instance ENFJ - they just feel like the more extroverted version of myself. Like me a little more outgoing, if I weren't such a hermit - not like a mirror. That ESTP friend of mine however, yes. I get that mirror vibe. That mirror vibe too, brings very welcomed balance. Being able to look at a mirror and to see, in essence, you reversed back at you, is invaluable. It helps you glimpse at the weakest parts of yourself, at their strongest, in order to see the potential of your more underutilized aspects at the forefront. I might be answering this incorrectly, but that's at least what I see a mirror as, for me.

I have to add that ENFPs are accommodating to the personalities of people they like. They will make it seem like you're alike whether you're an INFP.

They will fit anywhere and are good chameleons.

Assuming I'm actually an INTP as I've been testing (which I'm not firm about), I'd say that way I feel about ENTPs can vary by their Enneagram. There is sometimes an undercurrent of sexual tension or warmth between some ENTPs and I. With some ENTPs, it's downright awkward. They're usually nicer to me than I am to them. I don't think I enjoy most ENTPs' sense of humor from a fair percentage of the ENTPs I come across. A bit too callous or corny for my taste, like Deadpool. No offense to anyone who liked the film adaptation, but I didn't laugh that much watching it. Although, there is this YouTuber who I find hilarious and is likely an ENTP.

When I worked at a nonprofit thrift store in the Pacific Northwest, I once provided customer service to a memorable, adorable man in his 50s or early 60s who was probably a 7w6. He was a very sunny, jovial, cute cinnamon roll. He could have been an ENFP, as he seemed very authentic and sweet in a seemingly Fi-ish way. But for some reason, I have a gut feeling that he was actually a very sweet and genuine ENTP.

Also a fan of the ENFPs! I couldn't resist joining the bandwagon. They're generally the most beloved type and with good reason. The 7w8 variant is my favorite. I love their vigor as they passionately vent their Fi fury when they're pissed. They're also cute when they're sad, too. And those Fi googly eyes... *swoons* Ok, I'll stop now.

Reactions: Asa and Gaze
Oops, I noticed I didn't answer any of the questions directly!

When you meet your extroverted or introverted opposite, do they seem like a mirror?

I'm going to say no, not usually.

Do you see yourself as their twin?

No, but some of them I see in a sibling-like fashion.

What are similarities and differences?

The similarities are the shared nerdiness for mutual interests, rebelliousness, anti-authoritarianism, and open-mindedness for unpopular thought or taboo even. Differences are usually sense of humor, style of social interaction, and ways we handle general situations.

Reactions: Gaze
My opposite would be ENFJ

I’m on the borderline when it comes to the I/E opposites….although I can move into E place quite snugly my place of preference is I. I know four definite INFJ’s but don’t know any ENFJ’s who have taken the MBTI test but there are two people who I “think” are ENFJ’s. If I’m correct in my assumption then they are the most inspiring individuals I know. I love how they are just naturally extroverted, have an air of confidence, positive energy and have this incredible ability to create an instant rapport with everyone one – regardless of type. If they are authentic then they are very attractive and charming.

Reactions: Asa and Gaze