Is psychology science? | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Is psychology science?

yeah, many fields of study are not scientific. and many are. psychology is not even close of being one of them.

What would you consider the scientific fields?

But is this psychology, or is this the military using psychology?

I won't discount that there are people currently out there misusing psychology- but I believe that it's a smaller percentage than the overall psychologists that are working out there.

Just as there are organizations and governments using chemistry and biochemistry for harm - yet there's also lots of extremely important and positive movements in these fields. But we don't discount them entirely because of the bad apples.

To answer that question you could read the passage i posted above about MKUltra in canada

In it you will see that the military covertly fund mainstream psychiatrists so how do you ever know that your research is military or not?

Also you can be sure that any break through you make will be told to the military

Dr cameron who was putting his patients into comas for months at a time and playing noise or words on a constant loop to them without their consent was after his research made the first chairman of the World Psychiatry Association...i'm going to repeat that...he was made the chairman of the World Psychiatry Association

It's not about a 'few bad apples' we are talking about a system that refuses to take a critical look at why people are distressed

To answer that question you could read the passage i posted above about MKUltra in canada

In it you will see that the military covertly fund mainstream psychiatrists so how do you ever know that your research is military or not?

Also you can be sure that any break through you make will be told to the military

Dr cameron who was putting his patients into comas for months at a time and playing noise or words on a constant loop to them without their consent was after his research made the first chairman of the World Psychiatry Association...i'm going to repeat that...he was made the chairman of the World Psychiatry Association

Psychiatrists again are different.

Also, there are major differences between experimental psychology and counselling psychology. I would believe that there may be issues in experimental psychology. However, in Canada, the ethics that are required (when part of a institution like a university) are so strict that there could never be harm done to an individual.

Psychologists and psychiatrists in the private sector may be doing this stuff- but I don't know. What I can speak to is academic and healthcare institutions that have huge regulatory bodies. Again though, I would say that it's not just 'psychology' that this impacts- physicians, chemists, biologist - these are all people in the private sector that could be conducting unethical work...the point is, it's not the discipline, it's the intentions of the individuals.

Reactions: muir
Psychiatrists again are different.

Also, there are major differences between experimental psychology and counselling psychology. I would believe that there may be issues in experimental psychology. However, in Canada, the ethics that are required (when part of a institution like a university) are so strict that there could never be harm done to an individual.

Psychologists and psychiatrists in the private sector may be doing this stuff- but I don't know. What I can speak to is academic and healthcare institutions that have huge regulatory bodies. Again though, I would say that it's not just 'psychology' that this impacts- physicians, chemists, biologist - these are all people in the private sector that could be conducting unethical work...the point is, it's not the discipline, it's the intentions of the individuals.

well keep your eyes peeled for any shenanigans!

On that note i need to go to bed...its been intense but stimulating as always...goodnight all!

Reactions: say what
2l89f2u.jpg

A picture of a cock?

Sprinkles, are you currently experiencing repressed memories of a male figure in your life?

The pink and orange colours...do they represent the juxtaposition of yourself as a young child and an older adult?

This 'derp', is this your inner voice coming forth, calling for help?

Did a chicken touch you in one of your 'nono' zones?

I'm writing this all down right now!!!! :p

A picture of a cock?

Sprinkles, are you currently experiencing repressed memories of a male figure in your life?

The pink and orange colours...do they represent the juxtaposition of yourself as a young child and an older adult?

This 'derp', is this your inner voice coming forth, calling for help?

Did a chicken touch you in one of your 'nono' zones?

I'm writing this all down right now!!!! :p

2e2kvaq.jpg

But to claim it is "science" is inaccurate. Actually, it's worse than that. It's an attempt to redefine science. Science, redefined, is no longer the empirical analysis of the natural world; instead, it is any topic that sprinkles a few numbers around. This is dangerous because, under such a loose definition, anything can qualify as science. And when anything qualifies as science, science can no longer claim to have a unique grasp on secular truth.

With the respect that i have of scientists, i must say it's really risky to be that close-minded.
Many psychologist are over the question of "is it science or not", specially when it comes to Jungian circles, they take from another sources, that either if the scientific comunity wants to dismiss them or not, is their choice. But the fact that lots of this therapy works, it's ime, undeniable.
With psichiatry, the line gets blurred, but it stays pretty much the same, pharmaceutics are made usually to dope the pacient, specially pacients who are a risk to themselves and to the ones close to him, not because of some mental control thing, that's absurd, and it's certainly not a cure, but it doesn't work that way in the first place. Shock therapy works under the same principles somewhat, personally i think it's barbaric, but better get the fact straight in this case. And in many ways psichiatrists have their hands tied, because there's nothing else they can do for now, it's really sad, but i mean, in mental institutions there are really dangerous people, and i mean batsh!t crazy people, with zero self control, and no one besides the therapists and nurses to look after them.

My point here anyway, is against the dogmatism that seems to prevail among scientists or skeptical people generally. I personally don't even think that science is the only thing that works, far from that, and i'm talking about all the fields out there labeled as such. However i'm just making another point that's far from the OP, since i don't think something should be labeled as science to be accepted as true or negate it's efficiency. Some scientists seem too full of themselves nowadays. SQUARES!!!

Last edited:
Thought it would be interesting to discuss the credibility of science - as this is a site based on a psychology typology tool.

What is science? How do we define it? How do we measure it?
Does the 'scientific method' employed in psychology match the scientific method for other disciplines?
Can an applied discipline be scientific?

@LucyJr , thought it might be an interesting discussion to have - but didn't want to derail the other thread :)

Its more an art than a science I think, probably closer to philosophy too.

At least psychology as most people think about it, which I guess is the psychotherapies and social psychology.

At least psychology as most people think about it, which I guess is the psychotherapies and social psychology.

Why is art appealing if not for psychology?

Why is it that different cultures somehow end up with a cohesive aesthetic, with pervasive memetic inferences?

Why is it that Greeks built their temples in a unique style, and Japanese built their temples in a completely different style, and that Chinese temples are nearly similar to the Japanese ones but are quite a contrast to the Greek ones?

If it is merely art then why is there a cohesiveness? Why weren't Greek and Chinese temples just distributed randomly such that you couldn't really tell what country it came from? Why is art one thing to some people and another thing to somebody else?

Is it just philosophy? Well fine. What physical reason makes philosophy so pervasive then? Are you telling us that memory and feelings and biases all arise out of some magic nothing, unevoked, unprovoked, there's no predictable mechanisms anywhere?

Why is so much shit the same?

I think there's certain aspects like this, but I think in any discipline there's these aspects.

I also think that a lot of psychology research gets flagged as another discipline - primarily medical.

For anyone doubting the science of psychology, I encourage you to take a brief look at one site which has linked articles this week to research in psychology. I'm not sure how you could think this work isn't scientific.

Physical activity keeps hippocampus healthy in people at risk for Alzheimer's disease http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140423102746.htm

Almost half of homeless men had traumatic brain injury in their lifetime http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140425104714.htm

Brain circuits involved in emotion discovered by neuroscientists http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140422100109.htm

First brain images of African infants enable research into cognitive effects of nutrition http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140422084930.htm

Sleep behavior disorder linked to brain disease http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140422084517.htm

I think many people think of themselves as "themselves" and never contemplate that a lump of tissue is what "they" are. That the tissue is subject to the physical world just as any other organ in their body is.

Soul or not (depending what you believe) how you see and experience this world is the sole domain of the brain.