iNtuition Gone Wrong

subwayrider

Into the White
Sep 26, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's important to keep in mind that ideas or conclusions arrived at by way of iNtuition are not always right. This thread is geared more toward NFs, whose iNtuitions can tend to be based more on a feeling than on objective evidence. However, anyone is free to post and discuss. Tell us about a time when your iNtuition was completely in the wrong, even though you might have had a very compelling feeling that you were right.

Last edited:
I think this is likely more a question of Ni vs. Fi which can be confused. You can have a feeling based on Fi but assume it's Ni, while you can have a "feeling" about something which is Ni but you think it's just a personal feeling.

Reactions: invisible
Oooooh yeah, this happens all the time... Examples later.

iNtuitard

no. it is never wrong. it always tells me what is the right direction for me. even when the outcome is not as expected, i realise it is better than the outcome i hoped for, in a deeper way. i have to listen to it, there is no other way for me. the only time things get fucked up is in execution. even then, once i learn from my clumsy way of doing things, i feel that i am essentially on the correct path, things are going in the right direction. i have actual sensations that i am on the right path. i dont believe that my ni ever made a mistake for me. everything is as it should be.

actually, the only time things really did get fucked up, is if i made a special decision to ignore it.

further, to deny on a deep level where it says i have to go or what it says i have to do, would be worse than death for me. this would destroy my life, i would be extremely unhappy and bitter, and probably drink myself to death, or overdose. i followed it all my life, i dont regret a single decision that came from it. i make no apologies for who i am or what i have become. i have to do what it says, there isnt a choice.

blah blah blah blah blah. sorry. i have got excited.

Last edited:
Intuition by the dictionnary definition and Intuition in MBTI are two completely different things...

Reactions: invisible
I think it's the way Ni is filtered through Fe/Te that can be wrong, but the abstraction itself isn't. Or something, I'm hardly knowledgeable enough to speak on this.

I think it's the way Ni is filtered through Fe/Te that can be wrong, but the abstraction itself isn't. Or something, I'm hardly knowledgeable enough to speak on this.

You might be right. Still, the opening post accounted for that.

+1
Its possible to misintepret intuition for so many reasons. Sometimes I dont like what my intuition is telling me and I try to work around it or explain it away.
Sometimes it gets lost in translation if I try to ascribe meaning too early and jump to the wrong conclusion eg, if you see something that is a round object, don't describe it as a ball until you have more information. Otherwise you might prematurely label the 'round object' a ball when it is actually a cylinder and then you have gone down the wrong tangent.
Also, sometimes an intuition may be true for that particlular point in time, but then variables change and the outcome changes.

From my personal experience; I'd experienced these;
I think this is likely more a question of Ni vs. Fi which can be confused. You can have a feeling based on Fi but assume it's Ni, while you can have a "feeling" about something which is Ni but you think it's just a personal feeling.

no. it is never wrong. it always tells me what is the right direction for me. even when the outcome is not as expected, i realise it is better than the outcome i hoped for, in a deeper way.

the only time things get fucked up is in execution. even then, once i learn from my clumsy way of doing things, i feel that i am essentially on the correct path, things are going in the right direction. i have actual sensations that i am on the right path. i dont believe that my ni ever made a mistake for me. everything is as it should be.

Its possible to misintepret intuition for so many reasons. Sometimes I dont like what my intuition is telling me and I try to work around it or explain it away.
Sometimes it gets lost in translation if I try to ascribe meaning too early and jump to the wrong conclusion eg, if you see something that is a round object, don't describe it as a ball until you have more information. Otherwise you might prematurely label the 'round object' a ball when it is actually a cylinder and then you have gone down the wrong tangent.
Also, sometimes an intuition may be true for that particlular point in time, but then variables change and the outcome changes.

We (or, to be exact, I) have to, essentially, remember these. It's quite complicated, when we look at it; the state of right and wrong is multifaceted and multilayered;
From what it is; that not all 'Ni' visions are actually Ni, or not all these are purely Ni. It could (or might as well is) be affected with other functions, or emotions, or cognitive dissonance.
From how we read it; with the abstract and jumbled nature that is Ni; the chance of we / our conscious mind mistakenly reading is there. Moreso if the scope is very wide, and encompassing different aspects. And from my experience, moreso if it involves other people. Because Fe tend to ascribe 'outside' value, and we can never sure of whether the values we ascribed are true. (Not that Fi is any better, to be fair. It's just being human.) And 'true' is another dimension of mixedupness again.
From how we act on it; now we get out from Ni and went into Fe, and Se, and Ti, INFJ wise; as response. Each of them has their own capacity. Then we entered to the things we did; proficiency, skill; and how the world responded to what we did. Which is out of our control, most of the times.

However;
actually, the only time things really did get fucked up, is if i made a special decision to ignore it.

further, to deny on a deep level where it says i have to go or what it says i have to do, would be worse than death for me.
i followed it all my life, i dont regret a single decision that came from it. i make no apologies for who i am or what i have become. i have to do what it says, there isnt a choice.
I'm with you. Even with failures again and again and AGAIN GOD WHY AGAIN; the fact that I followed it made the pain noticeably less, and the regret even more so.
Listening to it makes my failure a lesson. Not listening to it makes my failure a punishment, so to speak.

Last edited:
I am sometimes incorrect in my assessment of whether a person is emotionally safe in the long run. Presumably I am inferring from the person's general actions.

But I tend to be more correct about the limits of a person's threatening actions, as this is one of the primary uses for me (in conjunction with Fe).

In general, I appreciate that I use intuition to play out potentially negative or positive scenarios with each of my relationships. This allows me select friends, which I tend to prefer only one on one or in regular groups.

The trick with intuition is that it is inference based so much on actual interaction and observation and on past information of a similar categorical nature.