Introverts And Happiness | INFJ Forum

Introverts And Happiness

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do introverts have a unique view of happiness or contentment compared to extroverts? See article below for one perspective.

To Hell With Happiness
In the USA, people rank happiness as their most important goal. That view has a special impact on introverts. Happiness is not always their top priority; they don't need external rewards to keep their brains in high gear. In fact, the pursuit of happiness may represent another personality-culture clash for them.

In a series of studies in which subjects were presented with an effortful task such as taking a test, thinking rationally, or giving a speech, introverts did not choose to invoke happy feelings, reports Boston College psychologist Maya Tamir. They preferred to maintain a neutral emotional state. Happiness, an arousing emotion, may be distracting for introverts during tasks. By contrast, extraverts reported a preference to feel "happy," "up," or "enthusiastic" and to recall happy memories while approaching or completing the tasks.

At this year's meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Tamir, along with Iris Mauss of the University of Denver, presented a paper entitled, "Come On, Get Happy: The Ironic Effects of the Pursuit of Happiness." The two did not specifically study introverts or extraverts. What they discovered is that, for all people, the pressure to be happy actually reduces happiness.

"We found that when we prime people to value happiness more, they become more unhappy and depressed," reports Mauss. "Our findings offer an intriguing explanation for the vexing paradox that even in the face of objectively positive life circumstances, nations generally do not become happier."

The priming effect seen in the study parallels the social priming introverts experience in everyday life. Although introverts like pursuing frontal cortex functions associated with the exploration of meaning, "there are cultural pressures that could make one feel guilty for not wanting to be as happy as the culture dictates," says Tamir. As a result, introverts are hit with a double whammy—feeling less happy, then feeling guilty and inadequate for feeling that way.

With a biological makeup that enables them to see positive emotional stimuli as a distraction when they are focused on another task, introverts are good at resisting all distraction. Using functional brain imaging, Stanford biopsychologist Brian W. Haas measured the reaction time for introverts and extraverts when they tried to identify thecolor in which an emotionally provocative word was printed. Introverts proved more able to focus on the task of color identification while disregarding the emotional content and had significantly better reaction times. Concludes Haas: Introverts, who exhibit a higher resting state of arousal, "don't need the same kind of outside entertainment."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201009/revenge-the-introvert

If I had a dollar for every time someone has practically ordered me to "smile" when I was in a perfectly good mood, I might not be a millionaire, but I'd have a helluva nest egg.

Or, when alone and feeling great being alone, someone comes along that feels I need to be rescued - which usually means "comes join us," or, "you look like you could use some company."

Personally, I love the concept of happiness, so coming across and reading this article really baffled me. Is happiness tied to external rewards? I don't think so.

Maybe I have an incorrect definition of "happy." So I looked it up (and shared it below). Perhaps I wouldn't describe myself as a happy person after all. I might match up with #3.

So, here I am, 55, and still learning things about myself. I never associated the word "happy" with luck or fortune, yet that's exactly where the word comes from: luck, something I associate with superstition, which I associate with fear.

Another insightful topic. Thanks again!

Full Definition of happy

happier
happiest

1. 1: favored by luck or fortune : fortunate <a happy coincidence>

2. 2: notably fitting, effective, or well adapted : felicitous <a happy choice>

3. 3a : enjoying or characterized by well-being and contentment <is the happiest person I know> <a happy childhood>b : expressing, reflecting, or suggestive of happiness <a happy ending>c : glad, pleased <I'm happy to meet you>d : having or marked by an atmosphere of good fellowship : friendly <a happy office>

4. 4a : characterized by a dazed irresponsible state <a punch-happy boxer>b : impulsively or obsessively quick to use or do something <trigger-happy>c : enthusiastic about something to the point of obsession : obsessed <education-conscious and statistic-happy — Helen Rowen>

Isn't it irony that:

C R A Z Y (a frequently tossed around label about a person enacting their sense of "happy"
....and
H A P P Y

each a five letter word with basically similar meaning??? ;))
4a : characterized by a dazed irresponsible state <a punch-happy boxer>b : impulsively or obsessively quick to use or do something <trigger-happy>c : enthusiastic about something to the point of obsession : obsessed <education-conscious and statistic-happy — Helen Rowen>

C R A Z Y (a frequently tossed around label about a person enacting their sense of "happy"
....and
H A P P Y

Yes! In fact, I combine the words to describe my most joyous mood! Crappy...

When I wake up of a morn, and hear the birds singing their morning song under rays of golden goodness. And there's a bounce in my step even before that first drop of coffee hits my tongue. Mind is clear. Emotionally light as a feather! Abundant energy! Thankful for every breath! Every blossom! Every person that crosses my path! A permanent grin plastered across my squishy face. Then it happens...

"How are you doing Milky B?"
"Oh I'm feeling Crappy!" *jumps and clicks heels together*

"Hey Milk toast! You doing alright?"
"Crappy!"

"Thanks for the help, Mr. Bandit."
"No problem at all, helping you makes me Crappy!"

I always thought moods were contagious, but everytime I'm feeling my best, the people around me just drag me down...so it goes.

When I wake up of a morn, and hear the birds singing their morning song under rays of golden goodness. And there's a bounce in my step even before that first drop of coffee hits my tongue. Mind is clear. Emotionally light as a feather! Abundant energy! Thankful for every breath! Every blossom! Every person that crosses my path! A permanent grin plastered across my squishy face. Then it happens...

"Crappy!"

I always thought moods were contagious, but everytime I'm feeling my best, the people around me just drag me down...so it goes.
Thank you for the "crappy" giggles. It does my heart well to know humor is not lost ;P
Keep on spreading the crappiness MTB:)

"Crappy!"

omigawd!

lol

Milky B needs to have a "for adults kids' show" where these scenarios play out. That would make me happy.
(@Milktoast Bandit )

That would be awesome! Of course I'm not too keen on being in front of a camera so you'll (lovely people of the forum) have to do the acting. I'll be sitting behind the scenes smoking cigars, pulling shots from a bottle of Wild Irish Rose, while shouting non-sensical obscenities at my personal scribe, that just happens to be hunchbacked, Italian, and illiterate, with a permanent boner... he's a weirdo, but pay him no mind. He's harmless.

To encourage further thinking about the main topic, I read a nice piece about the trap of happiness the other day, here.
"Hedonic adaptation is the tendency for humans to quickly adapt to major positive or negative life events or changes and return to their base level of happiness.
As a person achieves more success, expectations and desires rise in tandem. The result is never feeling satisfied — achieving no permanent gain in happiness."

This makes me believe we should reconsider our definition of what is "happiness" :)