Introversion and parenting | INFJ Forum

Introversion and parenting

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What's your experience as an introverted parent, parental figure, or caregiver? How do you think your experiences differ from an extroverted parent?

Found this article which inspired this question. Very interesting.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/23/surviving-as-an-introverted-mother_n_7648442.html

Surviving As An Introverted Mother

Posted: 06/23/2015 5:43 pm EDT Updated: 06/23/2015 5:59 pm EDT

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/23/surviving-as-an-introverted-mother_n_7648442.html
Years ago, I was chatting with my sister-in-law, who had babies at around the same time I did. She was talking about how much she loved her kids. When they were napping, she would go in and watch them sleep. Sometimes, she said, she was tempted to wake them up so that she could play with them.
When I heard that, I felt as if I was punched in the gut. I had never, in my few years as a parent, felt that way. Did she have some kind of innate mothering instinct that I lacked?
My husband and I had our children in rapid-fire succession, adding four kids to our family within four years. I was overwhelmed and outnumbered. The volume of work it took to keep my household running was exhausting. But there was something more to it than physical fatigue: parenting was emotionally exhausting. I felt trapped. I lived for naptime and bedtime. If one of the kids woke up early, I felt rage. I was desperate to get time away from them in any way I could. My overwhelming thoughts when they were napping were, Please don’t wake up. Please give me a little more time to myself. Please, just a few more minutes. I couldn’t imagine waking them up on purpose unless there was a fire.

It wasn’t only the exchange with my sister-in-law that made me doubt myself. Society tells us that we should savor every precious moment with our kids, and I was struggling to do this. If motherhood had been one of my biggest goals in life, why did I want to get away from my children? Maybe I was a horrible mother. Or I suffered from some kind of defect, an intimacy disorder, or psychological baggage that kept me from being able to enjoy my children as much as other people did.
I made an appointment with a therapist and explained my feelings to her. I love my kids dearly, I told her. I enjoy being with them. But I felt like I needed a bigger chunk of time to myself.
I was eager for the therapist to explain my glitch. Was I innately selfish? Was I a narcissist?
After a few weeks of listening, my therapist put her clipboard away and asked me to listen closely to what she was going to say.
“Kristen, you’re an introvert,” she said. “There is nothing wrong with you beyond the fact that you need time to yourself to refuel and recharge. You are running on empty. And you need to stop beating yourself up over the fact that you need time alone. It’s how you’re wired.”
I’d never considered myself an introvert. I’m not shy. I’m not scared to speak to a room full of people. I consider myself a “people person.” I always assumed those traits meant I was an extrovert. But as I began to read some of the books my therapist suggested, it became clear: I’m an introvert. I need a lot of downtime to recharge for social interaction.
I spent a few months wrestling with my therapist’s interpretation. I wanted a quick fix, and introversion wasn’t something I could take a pill for or change with therapy. I disliked the idea that this was just how I was made. I was also worried that the introversion diagnosis was a convenient cop-out. As a person who struggles mightily with guilt, I found it hard to take my therapist’s advice and let myself off the hook—especially when berating myself is something I’m so good at!
Eventually, and slowly, I came to understand that my introversion was indeed behind how I felt and that my desire for time to myself was not an indicator of how much I love my kids. My therapist had to remind me many times that the fact that I was there, sitting in her office looking for a solution, was proof that I cared deeply about my children.
Eventually, I learned to accept—and even embrace—my identity as an introvert, and I found some tactics to help me survive parenthood.
I let myself off the hook. This was the most important step. I accepted who I am and the personality I was born with and stopped trying to change myself. Instead, I looked for external solutions to make my life more conducive to my needs as an introvert.
I shifted my career to involve less face-time with others. At the time I had children, I was working as a marriage and family therapist. My job was 100% human interaction. It’s no wonder I was drained. I spent all day listening to people talk, which left me little energy for anyone else. I shifted my role—I began writing more, and I also began teaching, which I found less draining. As I altered my professional role to give me more time to myself, I found I had more energy at home.
I found out-of-home childcare. Previously, any childcare I had for the kids involved someone coming to our home to watch them. Our house is small, and even if I worked from my room, I could still hear the kids and would inevitably listen in on their day. I finally decided that I needed alone time at home and found a quality Montessori preschool that would take my kids for three mornings a week. Those mornings alone were my saving grace during that stage.
I instituted quiet time. While naptime provided me with some daily downtime, I also scheduled our day to include designated quiet time, when each kid played alone for about 30 minutes. In addition to giving me a mental break, this time was of great benefit to my kids who learned quiet, independent play. Some of my kids are introverts as well, and this quiet time was just as helpful for them as it was for me. As they’ve gotten older, quiet time has morphed into reading time, and it remains a great way for all of us to have a little time alone to recharge.
These small shifts made a huge difference in my ability to parent well and to be present and connected with my kids. I didn’t need to change who I was, and I didn’t have a fatal flaw that prevented me from being a good mom. I just needed to accept my temperament and honor my own needs.

This is something I've thought quite a lot about. I need a lot of alone time, and the idea of taking care of something that needs almost constant care and interaction is unnerving. My brother and his wife are both extroverts, but you can see how exhausted they are taking care of just a single baby. It makes me wonder exactly how I could manage it when they enjoy being around people all day.

And I know if I don't have enough time to myself I'll end up getting annoyed and angry, and maybe be a pretty crappy parent.

Thinking about becoming a parent makes me very unsettled. Like [MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION] said I also have a very high need for alone time and I fear that a child would take away that time that keeps me sane. Also when I am around other people I have a very high need for intellectual interaction, and hearing something scream and cry because they can't feed them self just won't cut it for me. It's quite scary for me to think about at this point in my life to be quite honest. I might would consider it after I finished grad school, but at the same time I'm not sure if I would want to come home after a long day of teaching to a little kid running around and making a mess of everything.

What makes it even more difficult for me is that it seems that my entire family has been pushing me to get married and have kids right away while my grandparents are still living. But I know I couldn't handle that anytime soon. I hate people in general, but people who can't have an intelligent conversation, much less little people who can't handle intelligent conversations, I really can't stand. The whole children just scares the hell out of me to the point where I've had a couple of panic attacks that have stemmed from a screaming baby. I don't know how to handle the situation. Much more knowing that the same screaming child would end up growing up and needing emotional support through that which I would be nearly completely incapable of providing is unsettling as well. My family and other people who know me ask why I don't like kids, but most of them don't understand MBTI so I can't yell at them "I'm a fucking INTJ and I hate people intruding on my fucking life". Being female really doesn't help, either since society expect you to be a warm, nurturing motherly person, and I'm just not like that at all.

Thinking about becoming a parent makes me very unsettled. Like [MENTION=5667]Jacobi[/MENTION] said I also have a very high need for alone time and I fear that a child would take away that time that keeps me sane. Also when I am around other people I have a very high need for intellectual interaction, and hearing something scream and cry because they can't feed them self just won't cut it for me. It's quite scary for me to think about at this point in my life to be quite honest. I might would consider it after I finished grad school, but at the same time I'm not sure if I would want to come home after a long day of teaching to a little kid running around and making a mess of everything.

What makes it even more difficult for me is that it seems that my entire family has been pushing me to get married and have kids right away while my grandparents are still living. But I know I couldn't handle that anytime soon. I hate people in general, but people who can't have an intelligent conversation, much less little people who can't handle intelligent conversations, I really can't stand. The whole children just scares the hell out of me to the point where I've had a couple of panic attacks that have stemmed from a screaming baby. I don't know how to handle the situation. Much more knowing that the same screaming child would end up growing up and needing emotional support through that which I would be nearly completely incapable of providing is unsettling as well. My family and other people who know me ask why I don't like kids, but most of them don't understand MBTI so I can't yell at them "I'm a fucking INTJ and I hate people intruding on my fucking life". Being female really doesn't help, either since society expect you to be a warm, nurturing motherly person, and I'm just not like that at all.

I've had very similar reactions to being around crying children. I have no idea how to react and just want to get the hell out of there. At least if I do have kids I can pull the distant father card. Whereas mothers are expected to be nurturing and emotionally expressive.

Both my husband and I are introverts with 3 kids, and we manage just fine. Our house is far more peaceful than mine or his extraverted upbringing ever was.

When it comes to crying babies, I think that's people in general. A baby's cry is supposed to be annoying to alert he parents to tend to their needs. HOWEVER, it's those parents that "tune-out" that crying and let everyone else suffer the ear-bleeding sound that drives me crazy! I was not that sort of parent when my kids were babies. If in a public place, I'd immediately go somewhere quiet to soothe my child. Fuck any one who believes in that "self-soothing" shit. And to be honest, it's most extraverts that let their babies cry like everyone around enjoys it or something. An introverted parent is far more in tune with noise pollution than an extraverted.

Anyway, I don't think being an intro vs an extra has any effect on the desire for children. That is something that is up to everyone personally. Some people dig it, some people don't.

I wouldn't change a thing. I love my children and would honestly have more if our income allowed it.

When my kids were young it felt more like they were an extension of myself. Perhaps because I was young when I had them (19 and 23) and I never really had an independent self before that. I loved being a mom of young kids. It came naturally to me, even though they both had challenging personalities and so does their dad. It is challenging, but it's a challenge I enjoyed. It's hard when they grow up. When they're young you can't wait to have time to yourself and when they grow up you miss having time with them. When they were young I was the centre of their world, like I was their God. When they grow up you just become a tool to get what they want.

Beginning to sound as if being introvert especially a T is almost equal to disliking children or not wanting children, which is false and unfair. I don't believe introverts including Ts are less capable of being great parents or caregivers. It's what you are willing to do or give to that child that matters. Putting aside personal feelings or needs is tough, but it's one of the key necessities of parenting but it's something most learn on the job. I am not sure it's something anyone can fully prepare for ahead of time. When someone becomes a parent, they learn along the way how to deal with this new person and how to respond. Making our minds up ahead of time about who we are going to be and how good we are or aren't going to be as parents seems a little harsh. What I like about the original article is the typical mother of course loves her children and wants to be a good parent, but she needs time alone to recoup, maybe more so than an extroverted parent. This doesn't mean she loves her children any less. As an introvert, she will more likely experience her children differently than an extroverted parent but it doesn't have to be in a negative way. Maybe she will enjoy more quieter activities with her children than more physically active endeavors, or she would prefer talking with them about something important or meaningful than many moments of continued activity or attention. And depending on the personality of the children, she will likely adapt her response to each child.

This is another thing that bothers me about having kids. I cannot stand the thought of someone only wanting to be around me for stuff.

Lol, it's just a natural progression. You probably did it to your parents too. I have found it hard at times but if they are raised right they still care about you and will still be there if you need them, and then when they have kids of their own they learn to really appreciate you. It's still worth it.

I find it funny when people who don't have kids speculate about how they would feel. I have yet to meet someone who speculated that way and felt anywhere close to what they thought they would when they did have kids. You cannot imagine what it's like. Don't have kids if you don't want them but don't use made-up scenarios and fears to stop you because they don't resemble at all what it will be like. A lot depends on your partner, your personal situation, your support system, the personality of your kids...

One thing I will say is that it is really important to not think that your life has to be just about your kids. It is ok and actually better if you make sure to not think that everything has to be about your kids once you have them.

As an introverted parent, I agree with the story. I think it mostly coincides with having babies and toddlers as they are entirely dependent on you for EVERYTHING. It is very exhausting. As an introverted parent of older boys it is far easier. I think one strength that introverts project to their kids is the ability to entertain themselves. Yes I played with my kids when they were younger, but as they grew older I encouraged them to feel comfortable playing alone or I would arrange a play date with another child.

Parenting an introverted child (my INTP) is a piece of cake (although he has his own unique issues): he has very few friends, and maybe sees them once or twice a week for just a few hours. The extroverted child is more challenging in this respect (ENFP) as I have kids knocking on my door daily asking to play with him. I know I just have to deal with it, but for Pete's Sake STOP THE INSANITY. As an ISFJ, having multiple kids over (messing up my house and eating my food) really makes me batty. I love my own children, but I am not a lover of all children ... and I think this stems from being an introvert.

I was thrust into parenthood with my nephew. He is presenting as a typical ESFP with his need for the spotlight, dare-devil tendencies, and blatant disregard of rules. (all said endearingly :p). His friends constantly knock on the door, and if I allow them the play inside (which I do), the whirlwind of mess they leave behind can threaten to drive me insane. He has a need for constant attention and will actually feel slighted and betrayed if not showered with affection. Coupled with my dad who has Alzheimer's, it is an exhausting existence for an introvert. My stress levels increase far more quickly than I can reduce them. I love them dearly, and honestly adore children, but the toll it takes on me mentally is astounding. It is rare to find time to myself to unwind, or even a moment or two that is genuinely peaceful.

I am learning more and more each day that what [MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION] says is so right, not everything revolves around your children. You are not there to entertain them 24/7. And like [MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION] mentioned, I also believe an introverted parent can better encourage a child to play alone and to be more independent.

It is so important to be able to have those moments to yourself as an introvert. It will keep you sane, and thus those that depend on you will be better off. Sometimes it’s just a matter of logistics in getting alone time, sometimes it isn’t possible at all. But when it is, I take advantage of it fully. A sane me, even if only at half sanity, ensures everyone else’s happiness.

I disliked children until I had one. I fell in love with him. I had another and love both of them more than my own life. I still needed downtime to recharge.