Matariki

Donor
Sep 30, 2009
MBTI
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
What does intimacy mean to you?
How important is it for you to engage in intimacy? (this can be any sort of intimacy, but keep it clean please)
How does too much or too little affect you?
Is there such thing as bad intimacy, if so what is it?
Who do you like to be intimate with?

How important is it for you to engage in intimacy? (this can be any sort of intimacy, but keep it clean please)

there are two types in my mind, emotional and physical. Physical intimacy to me would involve sexual interaction with my partner, but also the act of simply sleeping together, because it's an act reserved for him. but I am also physically intimate with some of my friends in the sense that we hug a lot, hold one another if crying etc. I believe that in short intimacy occurs when you feel close enough to someone that you feel you can say or do things that you wouldn't do with other people.

Emotional intimacy is where you can share things with close friends that you share with few, have conversations that are deep and meaningful and share a part of your soul.

I am physically intimate with a few chosen friends and my husband of course, emotionally intimate with a few more friends.

I feel less comfortable with physical intimacy.
It's important for me to have intimacy with my husband and friends because I feel I have a connection with them, and I feel we are maintaining that connection and that is very important to me, I need assurance that my friends are still my friends.

Ican have too much though. If I have too much physical interaction I tend to need to spend some time on my own for a while.

I am sure there are bad types of intimacy, but not sure what they are right now.

Intimacy to me is being with someone who I share a bond with that can ONLY deepen rather than blow apart, or be tampered with by outside influences; yes, it's a "US ONLY" club :m177: :)
It's VERY important for me to engage in intimacy, because I'm an INFJ; I love it, live it, and breathe it, and try to make every relationship or connection I make special, and unique. Being with someone you absolutely love, and value as that special one, is the best feeling in the WORLD....knowing you can share EVERYTHING, every thought, every feeling, every candid, and sarcastic remark....that's special lol It means alot, and I'm not gonna lie about it....I'm a very passionate, and multi-faceted person, and I'd like to have someone I can be completely (well ALMOST completely) honest with....honesty fosters a safe haven for intimacy to develop so, I can't over state it's importance.

Too little and too much intimacy DOES affect me and INTENSELY.....I turn into a dragon and I go on a frosty rampage of UNIMAGINABLE proportions if I don't get enough, and if I get too much, I get sappy, all "Knight-in-Shinning Armour"....overly romantic, over the moon romantic, I sing (and pretty well actually :m027: lol) to them after "making love".....this could go on, as these are only behaviors that I've had for the 1 and only 1 relationship I've had thus far.

I mean it's like water, air, food.....I'm not emotionally dependent by any means (I can even be quite cold in certain situations) I just have a preference for regular emotional exchange of a profound kind....that's all....makes life worth living....:m149:

- Personal connection and unique level of comfort and authenticity usually with someone such as a friend or SO, etc.

- Not very important.

- unsure.

- yeah, in terms of emotional intimacy, sharing or revealing too much or too soon or investing too much emotionally without that level of intimacy being returned.

- no one in particular :D

Last edited:

To me, intimacy is sharing my true self with someone and having it accepted and appreciated.

Sounds like a broad definition I think, but I'm so rarely able to be totally me and totally honest about what goes on inside me. I need a little intimacy every day. Intimacy can be telling my mom something I've had to keep from her (like finally explaining that when I touch people I get strong feelings about who they are and I can sense when they're dangerous and why), to sharing a happy moment with a friend via email, to sex.

I have way too many intense feelings to let them get tangled up, so expressing them to someone I trust is a necessity. I think too much intimacy can make things too intense or serious (especially in dating) and it can get... uncomfortable. With too little intimacy, I get restless, overwhelmed, depressed, etc. I like to be intimate with close friends and the very few family members that can handle it, and a boyfriend of course if I'm dating.

Reactions: Galileo

Intimacy is being connected deeply with a person. The exchange of ideas and emotions happens with both ease and speed.

Intimacy is vital to my mental health. If I'm not allowed to be intimate with someone, I'll slowly grow more callous and cold, calculating. A fall back to my logical traits so that my emotions are protected from people who may mishandle them, as they grow very sensitive when not given a release.

Too much intimacy and I melt into a gooey puddle of affection, unable to use any critical thinking skills and just wanting cuddles. Too little and I retreat into myself, becoming a machine (as noted above).

If you're intimate and the person starts feeding you negative emotions, it can mess with your head pretty badly. I mean, if they need to get them off their chest then I'll suffer gladly, yet it's still suffering.

I only really get intimacy from one person ([MENTION=3052]kucala[/MENTION] 8D), and she's my best friend. It's very rare in my life that I get to be intimate.