Interested in seeing what harmful chemicals are in your consumer products? | INFJ Forum

Interested in seeing what harmful chemicals are in your consumer products?

acd

Jan 11, 2009
fantasy world
MBTI
infp
Enneagram
9w8 sp/sx
I did not know this sort of thing existed until today. You can literally spend hours looking up the toxicity levels of almost any product you have purchased..

Cosmetics, food, water, produce and even cell phone radiation rates.. etc., etc. they are all there.

http://www.ewg.org/ (Environmental Working Group)

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ for all you cosmetic wearers..

Just thought you should know about this handy resource.

The "dangers" of many chemicals are WAY overplayed, and most people don't understand what the "harm" behind them is. It really is not nearly as bad as it sounds. That, and this is likely to lead to people freaking out over things they should not freak out over.

That being said, there are some things that are bad, and should not be used at all. It's slightly unrelated because it isn't used in "consumer products", however I recently learned that a chemical called methyl iodide was approved a few years ago to be used as a pesticide. Um, that is SHEER supidity. Methyl iodide is a pretty damn potent methylating agent. Meaning, it will methylate DNA and can cause damage in that regard. How that got passed, is absolutely beyond me. That stuff is really effing bad to be putting on plants and in the envrionment like that.

It lists risks associated with use of product such as:
  • Carcinogen
  • Developmental and reproductive toxicity
  • Allergies/Immunotoxicity
  • Plus other stuff including endocrine disruption etc. etc.
It's nothing to become paranoid about.. but there was once a time when lead and asbestos were used throwing caution to the wind. Now, those materials are not used in products due to scientific findings that indicated there are serious health risks involved with those materials.

We're always going to be discovering new ways to make and preserve things--why not be open to the possibility that some of these things pose health risks that can be avoided--so that we can improve our products while keeping people safe?

Last edited:
r I recently learned that a chemical called methyl iodide was approved a few years ago to be used as a pesticide. Um, that is SHEER supidity. Methyl iodide is a pretty damn potent methylating agent. Meaning, it will methylate DNA and can cause damage in that regard. How that got passed, is absolutely beyond me. That stuff is really effing bad to be putting on plants and in the envrionment like that.

[MENTION=387]IndigoSensor[/MENTION], can you tell me exactly how many years ago this was?

Colony collapse disorder not related to varroa and tracheal mites started among colonies of honey bees in late 2006.

I think it was approved in 2007 and was set in stone in 2010.

I have a friend who had breast cancer. She needed 18 rounds of chemo (that's quite a lot). I was at her place for tea, and within a 15 minute period, she Vim'd her kitchen sink twice, then febreezed the room. Then she heated something in the microwave with saran wrap on top. I felt sick and worried for her. As one of my surgeon friends told me when were chatting about this, he said that the body likes to be symetrical. Donna only had a right sided mastectomy, and in 15 minutes she loaded up with 3 known carcinogens.