INFJ's Sensor Traps | INFJ Forum

INFJ's Sensor Traps

May 7, 2011
MBTI
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5 sp/so
One of the mishaps of the INFJ kind is dealing with the little things from day to day... either it being grounded and in the moment, or handling details. Here's some common INFJ sensor traps:

When Studying or Doing an Assignment:
Ni's primary urge is to come up with your own personal assessments of what you perceive in the world, and sometimes it might lose relevance to what is actually going on around you. Ni understands concepts from a gestalt perspective, and under stress, INFJs will find while studying for an exam, there will be much focus on memorization and getting trapped into the details. As an INFJ, I am quite guilty of this... I end up focusing too much on minutia because I know it is an inherent weakness of mine. I am terrible at factual recall, and I am lucky that I can remember the specific date that an event happened. Details can be overwhelming for me, and I feel stressed to memorize every single one of them, or to write about every single one of them in a paper. What is best for the INFJ is to synthesize the information... see the causal relationships between the concepts and their own personal examples of each concept. This is a much more natural process for the INFJ to absorb information.

Motor Coordination/ Judgment:
The mishaps of inferior Se can lead us INFJ folk to spend way too much time doing something that requires motor skills and judgment in the here and the now. For instance, while making food and mincing up an onion, I tend to take way too much time focusing on making the right cut to avoid taking off a couple of fingers. I tend to be slow and deliberating in those movements. It's more of my natural inclination to contemplate concepts, so bringing my focus to doing motor skills requires a great deal of energy. Driving is a challenge as well... when I am in the passenger seat, I am fine, but when I am in the driver seat, there's a lot of coordination involved and having to be aware of the physical environment, it can pose a challenge. It takes a TON of concentration and energy input in order to judge where someone is going, distance between my vehicle and the sides of a parking spot, reaction time, and merging into traffic. Knowing that I have a slower reaction time, I tend to compensate for it by leaving adequate distance between me and the vehicle in front of me, and approaching slower at merges, wait for the area to be all clear before proceeding.

Any of the rest of you find yourselves in these situations or similar ones?

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I definitely can relate to much of this.
And yes, the memorization route in studying is indeed a trap. If one can see how the pieces all fit together, topics, what have you... memorization becomes completely unnecessary. And new information that you take in gets integrated more smoothly into the mind because instead of it just being another piece of information to be memorized, it becomes part of a web of knowledge.

When it comes to driving, I have horrific depth perception, so I am extremely picky about how much room I have before merging/changing lanes/making a turn, etc. I also like a TON of following distance between me and the next vehicle and I freak out when someone starts following too close...especially when I'm already going over the speed limit.

When it comes to studying, I don't try to memorize because if I do I am doomed to fail. I really have to understand the concepts and how they relate to the topic and each other and then I will have a complete understanding. Memorizing isn't learning. When it comes to researching a topic, I get distracted by all kinds of information a lot and my need to fully understand the whole situation before coming to conclusions wastes a lot of time.

I have no problems driving, just with directions.

One of the mishaps of the INFJ kind is dealing with the little things from day to day... either it being grounded and in the moment, or handling details. Here's some common INFJ sensor traps:

When Studying or Doing an Assignment:
Ni's primary urge is to come up with your own personal assessments of what you perceive in the world, and sometimes it might lose relevance to what is actually going on around you. Ni understands concepts from a gestalt perspective, and under stress, INFJs will find while studying for an exam, there will be much focus on memorization and getting trapped into the details. As an INFJ, I am quite guilty of this... I end up focusing too much on minutia because I know it is an inherent weakness of mine. I am terrible at factual recall, and I am lucky that I can remember the specific date that an event happened. Details can be overwhelming for me, and I feel stressed to memorize every single one of them, or to write about every single one of them in a paper. What is best for the INFJ is to synthesize the information... see the causal relationships between the concepts and their own personal examples of each concept. This is a much more natural process for the INFJ to absorb information.

Motor Coordination/ Judgment:
The mishaps of inferior Se can lead us INFJ folk to spend way too much time doing something that requires motor skills and judgment in the here and the now. For instance, while making food and mincing up an onion, I tend to take way too much time focusing on making the right cut to avoid taking off a couple of fingers. I tend to be slow and deliberating in those movements. It's more of my natural inclination to contemplate concepts, so bringing my focus to doing motor skills requires a great deal of energy. Driving is a challenge as well... when I am in the passenger seat, I am fine, but when I am in the driver seat, there's a lot of coordination involved and having to be aware of the physical environment, it can pose a challenge. It takes a TON of concentration and energy input in order to judge where someone is going, distance between my vehicle and the sides of a parking spot, reaction time, and merging into traffic. Knowing that I have a slower reaction time, I tend to compensate for it by leaving adequate distance between me and the vehicle in front of me, and approaching slower at merges, wait for the area to be all clear before proceeding.

Any of the rest of you find yourselves in these situations or similar ones?

Sometimes, some of these, I can relate to.

I know if I read a book as a story, I can recall just about every aspect of it and analyze it to any depth I need to. If I read a text book of facts to memorize, I might as well beat myself to death against a brick wall... at least the concussion would be a better excuse for not remembering anything!

My motor skills though, I don't know about. I learned to drive on a standard/stick shift. I learned the nuances of how a car should feel, sound, look and act thanks to that experience so I can sit down and almost instinctively drive anything with wheels. I've even gotten somewhat proficient at backing up trailers. I think Intuition makes up for the lack of Sensing a lot of times.

On the other hand, I can be rather slow and deliberate in what I do a lot of times. I wouldn't beat myself up over it though, in Buddhism, it's actually a good thing. Thich Nhat Hanh summed it up best in one word - Mindfulness.

Maybe it is off the topic. But, while I am terrible in being here and now sometimes. i literally can bump into big elephant in the rooom, I've always been great in sports with ball. Badminton, volleyball, basketball...I hit the point without much effort. And I usually catch object in the fall...Bursts of Se??

I can totally relate to this :)) :))

I spend 6-10 hours studying a day. I just HAVE to memorize everything. The problem is that because of too much information, I become excited to know them all and get overwhelmed. I want to understand EVERYTHING so I end up searching for the answers of certain questions especially science related things. Like why do we need ATP, etc etc in a certain reaction. I have to understand it before I can remember it because I'm also not good in remembering facts. I do better when I get why or how something happened.

I find it so hard because during the test, I have to write down all the things I memorized (and didn't get to understand because of lack of time). I always get information overload. That's the reason I get stressed A LOT when there's school.

It's the same with motor skills. In dancing, when the choreographer tells us to do a set of steps/exercises, he expects you to do it right away. I can't process it all in my head that fast even if I can do the steps. I think dancing helped me develop this because in ballet even if you're just standing you have to think of your butt muscles, you have to turn your feet out, pull up and engage your stomach muscles while pressing down your shoulders and making your neck long and stuff like that.

It really takes me a long time to master steps but when I master it, I don't have to think about it. I just do it. I guess it becomes muscle memory. :)

oh and that's why I hate technique. I have to remember how to do a pirouette or to turn and do a jump. I just want to do it without thinking how to do it.

I know I'm not naturally smart. I have to study and put a lot of effort, energy and concentration on something I want to know but I know that if I do something constantly or everyday, I master it. The problem is if I HAVE to master it right away (it's always like this in school :( ). I then resort to memorization and it doesn't last long in my brain :(

Last edited:
Maybe it is off the topic. But, while I am terrible in being here and now sometimes. i literally can bump into big elephant in the rooom, I've always been great in sports with ball. Badminton, volleyball, basketball...I hit the point without much effort. And I usually catch object in the fall...Bursts of Se??
I know what you mean here. I can be quite the football/volleyball player " )

I know what you mean here. I can be quite the football/volleyball player " )

I never understand why some people have problems with hitting the badminton ball. I just swing and boom. I don't even need to look at it.

I never understand why some people have problems with hitting the badminton ball. I just swing and boom. I don't even need to look at it.

:) :) I always get hit on the head. My first line of seven in my report card was because of volleyball :( I got 79 :( :(

Reactions: Jana
Yeah, the time just "feels right" to swing. I get that with bowling too; the less I think about it, the better I am.

However with soccer and other sports that involve over excessive running. I will trip, and I WILL knock you over.

Reactions: Jana
If it makes you feel any better [MENTION=933]Seraphim[/MENTION], I suck at the following games:
Wii Sports
Wii Dance
Guitar Hero (unless I'm singing or playing Keyboards)

I however, can ball-room dance, but what use is that in the club? :p
(Wait, I go to teh club?!) XD