INFJS AND LAW | INFJ Forum

INFJS AND LAW

laoch

Jan 8, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Anyone practising immigration or humanitarian law? Thoughts on how law works as a career choice for infjs?

I have never studied law. My INTP friend is a lawyer though and I find it a fascinating subject to discuss with him. I imagine the attractive features for INFJs would be intellectually piecing together information, ethics and law in humanitarian fields. The downside might be confrontations in court and defending a-holes you know are guilty.

I did not practice that type of law. I don't feel particularly well suited to law in general though. I can't speak for all INFJs. Most of the lawyers I knew were Is, but had to let their shadow E takeover in order to function. I've never seen a profession so rife with alcoholism and depression. A number of therapists I've spoken to said lawyers were among their most emotionally tortured clients because they had the ability to be very good at something that made them very unhappy. I am pretty sure Introversion figured highly into this problem, probably an unusual number of INFJs. But like I said, can't speak for others. I never considered MBTI when in the field.
[MENTION=14378]Mungbean[/MENTION] criminal law (and indeed anything that even sees the inside of a courtroom actually) is high profile (the news, TV shows etc), but a small fraction of the entire field.

Last edited:
Immigration and human rights law would overlap too much with areas of social-work for me. Too draining to go through life like that. I think those areas are better handled by types who wouldn't get emotionally over-invested/over-wrought.

My pick would be non-criminal commercial law for that reason.

I'm very sorry, but I really needed to post this.

[video=youtube;q6cyDsuNx_U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U[/video]

I could rock being a lawyer. At the same time, my strength is in research and collecting information ... something that a paralegal would do. This I have done in my volunteer work as a CASA. What a power trip it can feel to be more prepared than all the other attorneys present for the case, and have a significant say-so in the outcome of the case. Another thing to consider is managing large caseloads, I don't think this goes over well for anyone ... and in the immigration/humanitarian field I am certain it is treacherous.

One thing people don't realize is how completely unprepared attorneys are before they show up to court. I have seen where they have reviewed a case one hour to five minutes prior. Very sad for their clients.

[MENTION=14378]Mungbean[/MENTION] criminal law (and indeed anything that even sees the inside of a courtroom actually) is high profile (the news, TV shows etc), but a small fraction of the entire field.

Yep. I realise that. Hence I suspect there might be other avenues that suit some INFJs. Most of my exposure to law comes from talking with my INTP lawyer friend though and he (and his colleagues) spend quite a lot of time in court.

I can't imagine this field would be a huge draw card for INFJs though. Particularly in light of your comments about lawyers and depression.

I find talking to my friend about law completely fascinating all the same. I think mostly because we discuss topics that involve ethics which I love thinking about. I am also the person who thinks of the legal aspects of business dealings as well at work. It just naturally interests me to think about it.

Last edited:
Definitely food for thought folks,where do INFJS normally thrive?Critical thinking environments?I would like to move toward a more intellectually stimulating career with the added bonus of helping people

Yep. I realise that. Hence I suspect there might be other avenues that suit some INFJs. Most of my exposure to law comes from talking with my INTP lawyer friend though and he (and his colleagues) spend quite a lot of time in court.

I can't imagine this field would be a huge draw card for INFJs though. Particularly in light of your comments about lawyers and depression.

I find talking to my friend about law completely fascinating all the same. I think mostly because we discuss topics that involve ethics which I love thinking about. I am also the person who thinks of the legal aspects of business dealings as well at work. It just naturally interests me to think about it.

I was like you in this way when I was younger. It's probably why I ended up going into law for a time. I think it does attract INFJs actually (no proof of this, just a Fe), but the reality versus the theory is when life becomes depressing, ha. You might enjoy the books of David Lyons, who writes primarily on ethics/philosophy of law.

Definitely food for thought folks,where do INFJS normally thrive?Critical thinking environments?I would like to move toward a more intellectually stimulating career with the added bonus of helping people

I think they make good therapists. The only other INFJ I know in person is a psychologist and loves what he does. I don't know many people who love their jobs.

It seems like law would be a good match for infj considering that you are acting as an advocate.

It seems like law would be a good match for infj considering that you are acting as an advocate.

Now let's say you and I go toe to toe on bird law and let's see who comes out the victor?

A girl I liked back in college (who seemed to be as INFJ as possible) really wanted to be an immigration lawyer. She was too busy studying for the LSAT when I asked her out, but presumably didn't end up doing well enough on the next to get into the law school of her choice. She ended up going to teach English in South Korea instead, and then in China, and apparently a few months ago moved back to the US to start working on educational software.