[INFJ] - INFJ male: is he leading me on? mixed signals | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] INFJ male: is he leading me on? mixed signals

pandorasbox

Feb 17, 2014
MBTI
INTJ
Hello all! I am back from my last post about the same INFJ male, only this time, I'm getting a lot of mixed signals from him, and would appreciate some help in deciphering whether or not I'm over-analyzing as per INTJ habits, or if it's something of concern I should bring up with him. Or even, take it as a hint he's not that interested in me. It'll hurt, but I'd love to have some closure since he's been confusing me lately with his NF tendencies.

Some questions I'd like to ask, if they could be answered, would be greatly appreciated:

1. How does one differentiate between an INFJ's behavior towards a potential love interest, compared to platonic friendships, specifically with the opposite gender?
2. To what extent do you tend to over-analyze romantic signals from your potential love interest?
3. How would an INFJ behave around a potential romantic interest alone (individual date, "hanging out", etc), compared to in groups (friends, families, acquaintances, at social events)?
4. How do you, as INFJs, show romantic interest in someone? Body language, eyes, gestures, or other subtle behaviors?

Here's my story:

Few months ago, we mentioned we liked each other more than friends. We however, put our relationship aside to deal with personal losses. I told him I wasn't ready for a relationship at the time, but I liked him more than as a friend. He said he understood and gave me space, which turned out the other way around because we grew closer together both spiritually and emotionally.

We keep mentioning watching that one movie, or that sequel, of which we saw for our first date. We make references to the times we hung out at the mall, and other places where we had our previous dates. except, he's never broken the topic about becoming officially girlfriend-boyfriend. Is he just typically over-analyzing my behavior towards him? Is he waiting for the right signs to ask me, or is he already assuming we are "together?" without really saying we are?

We've been communicating via Facebook and text for the 6 months we've known each other - but I'm not even remotely sure it takes INFJs 6 months to make up their minds if they wanted to date or not? In any case, we are very close friends. Our communication fell to the lowest points in which we wouldn't text, or Facebook each other but know we were both online.

Now, however, he's introduced me to his friend, and also a few more people from his friend group he's kept since elementary or high school. We've hung out all together. I also had a chance to meet his mother, who I made a good impression on. INFJ guy got really happy after that. And wanted me to meet his dad, and I said he should come meet my family. That probably made his day.

Due to work limitations, we've hung out only twice in the past month, but whenever we meet up it never felt like we've been away from each other all this time. The thing is, as a nice INFJ guy, he acts nice in general to all his friends - including his female friends. I'm not even sure if he's showing something else with me, but I have a feeling he does? And me being a dense INTJ female, I usually don't end up picking up his signals until much, much later. He's said stuff like "I know you care about me, and I want to let you know I care about you" and things like "I like you. I like your company. I like being around you." and misc. stuff like "I usually cut friends out of my life if they bring me down, but I've kept you around all this time, so that should register something with you."

But internally, this is what I've been telling myself:
> he said "friend".
> that doesn't make sense. He's talked about the dates we had. more than friends?
> he's hung out with me one-on-one for almost an entire day, to something I dragged him to. I apologized for bringing him along, but he says he likes hanging around me. more than friends or he just wants to hang out platonically?
> he did introduce me to his friends and family, which he does with almost everyone he likes and meets. did he introduce me because friends, or as a potential girlfriend? I have a suspicion he's told his mom a lot of stuff about me, to make it more of a "intoducing a girlfriend" scenario than anything else - but I don't have enough factual evidence for that either!
> invited me over to his place, showed me his room, but what does that mean if he always invites friends over? nothing special about bringing me over? confused as heck!
> didn't hold hands, sometimes he avoids eye contact and seems to be more aloof than anything else around me. he doesn't understand my signals? doesn't know what I want?
> doesn't make sense, because I told him I liked him more than as a friend, and managed to drive that point clear to him. Or at least, I hoped I did.
> we hung out after I said that to him, ensues 9 hours of spending time together and with his friends?
> but then I asked if he wanted to hang out next week, he went "probably not, but the week after, maybe." He was aloof and closed off. What gives?
> then finally, I text him casually in the morning, and we ended up keeping each other company while he did his chores, texting non-stop for 2 hours.

I don't know, it's the fact that he has not breached the girlfriend-boyfriend conversation but has definitely hinted at it (or has become aloof whenever such topics come up when we hang out with his friends), that bothers me immensely. As an INTJ, I'm just like him: I know I want to date him, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right signals from him, just in case by bringing up the topic I would ruin the friendship that we already have established.

As you can probably see, this INFJ male is driving this INTJ gal completely INSANE! I have completely fallen for him and his nice-guy tendencies, and he's everything I want in a partner. He sees through my walls, and he's pretty much reduced me to an illogical, emotional bubble, but the thing is: I don't know if he's acting like this around me just because he sees me as a friend, or if there's potential to be something more. Or honestly, if he's already assuming we're together, in a relationship.

Could you amazing people on this forum help in this area, please?
I would love you guys all to death if you do!

Next time you meet him, and when the hour is ripe, do this. Sitting on a park bench, or whatever... Look at him intently, establish eye contact. Slowly but not too slowly, move you hand towards his and gently take it as if you study it. Look at the features as if you're preparing to do a psychic palm reading. Do not do as psychic palm reading, but grasp that hand. and watch what happens to his face, let that dictate your next move.

:m015:

I think some parts of him is waiting for you to make the move. He thinks the ball is in your court and vice versa while in fact the ball sits still in the middle.

I told him I wasn't ready for a relationship at the time, but I liked him more than as a friend. He said he understood and gave me space,
Tell him now, "Remember when I said I wasn't ready for a relationship?" (Because yes, he definitely is). "Now I'm ready."

Get a room already...

Did you have sex yet? If not then its not serious.

Sounds like the person likes you. Just doesnt know how to take the next step, may not be an initiator.

If he wont do it and you are comfortable with it, you should kiss him. That should change things up a bit.

Ah, the classic comedy of Eros. You assume the other person isn't making the move because they're over-analyzing... yet, you're doing the exact same thing. What's stopping YOU from bracketing the conversation in such a way that you arrive at a clear missive? The same thing that's stopping him. You're waiting on a clear signal.

Except, given that you were the one to put all the romantic development on hold because you told him you weren't ready for a relationship, it makes sense that he's hesitating and giving you your space. The ball is in your court. I know INFJs are known to be super intuitive, and some will argue this otherwise, but they're not psychic. How was he supposed to know he's supposed to breach the boyfriend-girlfriend conversation with you? Maybe he still thinks you're comfortable with the flirtationship.

Talk to him. Say. "Hey, you know how six months ago I said I wasn't ready? I'm ready now. I really like you a lot and I wanna date you and I'm pretty sure think you like me and want to date me too. How about we go to [insert suggestion] for our first date?"

And then see what happens.

We had some intimate moments when we were hanging out together, but he becomes aloof whenever groups are involved, and coming from an intj girl... I navigated group interaction better than him. Is the whole aloof-ness thing normal?

I felt bold one day at a social gathering and went "oh I'll just sit on your lap" in a flirtatious manner, and he seemed to encourage that but because we were with friends so nothing happened. Gah.

I've been trying to get him by himself and not with his friends, but we're so terribly busy that we probably won't see each other for two weeks. In theory I'd love to go up to him and just kiss him but he's NEVER kissed before. I'd also like to bring up the dating thing again, but my gut says to do it in person rather than via text or written communication, but I'm not sure.

We had some intimate moments when we were hanging out together, but he becomes aloof whenever groups are involved, and coming from an intj girl... I navigated group interaction better than him. Is the whole aloof-ness thing normal?

It's probably awkward for him if he's inexperienced and he may be nervous that his friends will pick up on something that he's doing 'wrong' (as a 'man pursuing a woman') or if he's too obvious that he likes you. Sometimes guys are nervous to heap attention on a girl they like because they're afraid other guys will notice and want to make a move on her, especially if the guy is not 100% sure the girl returns their affections.

The other possibility is that maybe he's not sure his friends would approve of you.

I felt bold one day at a social gathering and went "oh I'll just sit on your lap" in a flirtatious manner, and he seemed to encourage that but because we were with friends so nothing happened. Gah.

Yep, get him alone. That's a lot of social pressure, especially if he's inexperienced.

I've been trying to get him by himself and not with his friends, but we're so terribly busy that we probably won't see each other for two weeks. In theory I'd love to go up to him and just kiss him but he's NEVER kissed before. I'd also like to bring up the dating thing again, but my gut says to do it in person rather than via text or written communication, but I'm not sure.

Ah, so he's inexperienced to boot. That would certainly heap onto the shyness/uncertainty factor.

Yeah, in person would be better.

It's probably awkward for him if he's inexperienced and he may be nervous that his friends will pick up on something that he's doing 'wrong' (as a 'man pursuing a woman') or if he's too obvious that he likes you. Sometimes guys are nervous to heap attention on a girl they like because they're afraid other guys will notice and want to make a move on her, especially if the guy is not 100% sure the girl returns their affections.

The other possibility is that maybe he's not sure his friends would approve of you.

Yep, get him alone. That's a lot of social pressure, especially if he's inexperienced.

Ah, so he's inexperienced to boot. That would certainly heap onto the shyness/uncertainty factor.

Yeah, in person would be better.
I told him I liked his friends (infp and enfj males, go figure) and he brightened up. but at the last social gathering, there were moments that his infp friend bantered flirtatiously at me even though we were just debating - the Ni Fi and Fi Ne thing going on. I knew, and I kept my distance and focused my attention on the infj, but he was aloof as hell.

enfj was more tactful and stayed away from the infj and I, though.

infp mentioned how on Facebook I was a relevant friend on the updates feed, and infj joked that it meant infp and I should kiss. I stared at the infp and went "if you try anything, I'll punch you". infp went "you'd punch me before, or after?" and probably took the infj's joke a bit too far. yikes.

are you sure a face to face conversation about the dating thing is better than written? the first time he asked if I "liked" him was over text, and I reckon I'd do what he did for the sake of tried and true methods.

It's a lot more intimate in person, and yes, it's definitely a little more nerve-wracking, but then you get to skip over the whole awkward, 'I told you I like you over next now it's your move/no, you told me, so it's *YOUR* move' dance that almost always happens after these things and sometimes ruins a good relationship before its even begun.

A lot of things can get misconstrued via text.

Do it in person. Sit down somewhere where the both of you will be comfortable enough to chat and not be interrupted, and lay it on him. Just say, 'hey, you know, I really like hanging out with you and your friends, but I miss our one on one time. I really like you. Remember how I said we should put things on pause six months ago? I'm ready to unpause them. How about you?"

Good luck!

It's a lot more intimate in person, and yes, it's definitely a little more nerve-wracking, but then you get to skip over the whole awkward, 'I told you I like you over next now it's your move/no, you told me, so it's *YOUR* move' dance that almost always happens after these things and sometimes ruins a good relationship before its even begun.

A lot of things can get misconstrued via text.

Do it in person. Sit down somewhere where the both of you will be comfortable enough to chat and not be interrupted, and lay it on him. Just say, 'hey, you know, I really like hanging out with you and your friends, but I miss our one on one time. I really like you. Remember how I said we should put things on pause six months ago? I'm ready to unpause them. How about you?"

Good luck!
well, I got to surprisingly talk to him today, and I didn't get the answer I wanted when I said "i like you more than friends, and still do after six months from when we first met."

He said he didn't have the time (since he and I were busy with multiple jobs and projects) and didn't think we could handle the stress from dating. to which I said, if it's just the stress, that isn't a problem, and didn't understand where he was going, so I pushed a bit further.

turns out he thought he was ready to date me back 6 months ago but that changed after his new job, and doesn't know if he could spare the time. and that he "wasn't ready to lose his virginity" and that his idea of a relationship compared to a platonic one was the sexual portion. so i reassured him I wasn't either, then he went "if we both aren't after sex, like each other's company, and each other, then there's no reason to date and we're better off friends". except there's more to relationships than that, I think.

I tried reassuring him but came to the conclusion that "all he felt towards me is platonic love" which he said after. I said "well good to know" and he wanted us to "stay close friends". I said I needed some. time away because I felt more than platonically towards him, but he's still a close friend. and the clincher? he goes and says "a lot of girls shut me out, but you didn't. That's why I like you."

what gives?! I'm sorry, but I'm annoyed :(

Ow. :(

well, I got to surprisingly talk to him today, and I didn't get the answer I wanted when I said "i like you more than friends, and still do after six months from when we first met."

He said he didn't have the time (since he and I were busy with multiple jobs and projects) and didn't think we could handle the stress from dating. to which I said, if it's just the stress, that isn't a problem, and didn't understand where he was going, so I pushed a bit further.

turns out he thought he was ready to date me back 6 months ago but that changed after his new job, and doesn't know if he could spare the time. and that he "wasn't ready to lose his virginity" and that his idea of a relationship compared to a platonic one was the sexual portion. so i reassured him I wasn't either, then he went "if we both aren't after sex, like each other's company, and each other, then there's no reason to date and we're better off friends". except there's more to relationships than that, I think.

I tried reassuring him but came to the conclusion that "all he felt towards me is platonic love" which he said after. I said "well good to know" and he wanted us to "stay close friends". I said I needed some. time away because I felt more than platonically towards him, but he's still a close friend. and the clincher? he goes and says "a lot of girls shut me out, but you didn't. That's why I like you."

what gives?! I'm sorry, but I'm annoyed :(

Damn. That's definitely not a response that anyone wants to hear, and I'm surprised that you're just ' a bit annoyed.' Still, it's a good thing you guys got talk it out and find out where you stand. You also have the benefit of understanding where he's coming from, given that you gave him the exact same reasons six months ago. Whether he's genuine in his concerns or just trying to give you a dose of your own medicine, I don't know, but if you suspect the latter is a strong possibility, you might want to reassess what your connection to this person is.

Either way, you put yourself out there, which is amazingly brave. You were open and honest, and you pulled that old monkey off your back. Again, I'm sad to hear that you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope that doesn't discourage you from being honest in the future. As an INTJ, I'm sure you can appreciate the efficiency in ending the 'will they or won't they' game now rather than having it run any longer than necessary and waste your time investing your emotions in a relationship that wouldn't get off the ground.

Getting some distance from him will help immensely, just as you told him, and whatever you do, resist the temptation to re-open and over-analyze the situation over and over again. It's done. You can move on. I just feel great empathy toward you for the heartbreak. I've been there before and it ain't easy.

Damn. That's definitely not a response that anyone wants to hear, and I'm surprised that you're just ' a bit annoyed.' Still, it's a good thing you guys got talk it out and find out where you stand. You also have the benefit of understanding where he's coming from, given that you gave him the exact same reasons six months ago. Whether he's genuine in his concerns or just trying to give you a dose of your own medicine, I don't know, but if you suspect the latter is a strong possibility, you might want to reassess what your connection to this person is.

Either way, you put yourself out there, which is amazingly brave. You were open and honest, and you pulled that old monkey off your back. Again, I'm sad to hear that you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear, but I hope that doesn't discourage you from being honest in the future. As an INTJ, I'm sure you can appreciate the efficiency in ending the 'will they or won't they' game now rather than having it run any longer than necessary and waste your time investing your emotions in a relationship that wouldn't get off the ground.

Getting some distance from him will help immensely, just as you told him, and whatever you do, resist the temptation to re-open and over-analyze the situation over and over again. It's done. You can move on. I just feel great empathy toward you for the heartbreak. I've been there before and it ain't easy.
well, thanks guys :( and I slept it off, and I'm about ready to move on already (the efficiency comment is true. at least we're clear where we stand now.)

yeah. I told him I need space, he's still close to me as a friend, and if anything changes and I decide to cut contact completely I'd tell him first because the last thing I'd do is be a total bitch like that. but boundaries got to be set, starting with the fact I'm not going to ask to hang out with him on his own, and if he asks, I won't meet unless we're with friends. Social media is fine, but I'm not going to start a conversation with him, but if he starts one, I'd respond.

and I don't suppose he's doing the latter, but I know for sure he's being honest that he's extremely busy (over time work, everything).

I guess we had the connection, but the worst timing. such is life. :(