[INFJ] - INFJ Logic | INFJ Forum

Jschar99

Lucky
Sep 30, 2016
MBTI
INFP?
Enneagram
In all of my research, I couldn't find a place that explained much about how infjs use logic. I am a type 5 INFJ so I believe my Ti is much higher developed than my Fe. This would explain why I mistyped as an INTJ. I can "feel" others emotions and always understand other people better than they understand me. However, I don't relate well to how emotional the typical INFJ sounds to be. I rarely cry and when I do, it is because of a death or such things. I am just wondering if anyone has thoughts on how typical INFJs are swayed by emotion and how they use logic. One more thing, I get so frustrated at people who think they are INFJs or INTJs just to be the stereotypical "mastermind" or "rare," so if you need more information, I will explain better. If you have any info that will help me on my self discovery process, I would love to hear it!

Reactions: Sandie33 and Asa
My Ti is arguably well developed (not as much as Fe) but sometimes it is like using a toothbrush to paint a house. It tries but when it's intense emotion it's not going to be enough to manage it before I've made a fool out of myself.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/16Types/INFJ.cfm

I've found this table to be helpful.

For myself being logical or analytical is focused Ni/Fe more so than Ti. At least it seems that way. Making logical correlations for me is like disassembling a puzzle of one picture and reassembling the pieces through adding & deleting parts to form another picture. However, I've had a TBI that produced some bazaar outcomes. I've been in a study for over 20 years on the effects if ATBI's and brain function. The residual effects most prominent are visual-spacial acuity...I literally don't see things the same as others. The researcher leading the study is trying to determine why. Hopefully my being the lab rat will help others in the future. :)

Reactions: Wyote and PintoBean
I do cry a lot though, but I don't think it makes me any less rational :)
Hmm, I wouldn't say that crying makes one less rational, I just don't seem to relate to that aspect of the INFJ, and wondered if this was related to my having lower Fe?

Reactions: invisible

For myself being logical or analytical is focused Ni/Fe more so than Ti. At least it seems that way. Making logical correlations for me is like disassembling a puzzle of one picture and reassembling the pieces through adding & deleting parts to form another picture. However, I've had a TBI that produced some bazaar outcomes. I've been in a study for over 20 years on the effects if ATBI's and brain function. The residual effects most prominent are visual-spacial acuity...I literally don't see things the same as others. The researcher leading the study is trying to determine why. Hopefully my being the lab rat will help others in the future. :)

Interesting, so what you are saying is that Ti may not be where the majority of our logic based assumptions is derived from? Also, I would like to hear more about how you see things differently, has your visual spatial ability risen?

Reactions: Sandie33
Hmm, I wouldn't say that crying makes one less rational, I just don't seem to relate to that aspect of the INFJ, and wondered if this was related to my having lower Fe?

Is it an aspect of the INFJ? I don't remember reading that anywhere. I thought it was just a thing about expressing or experiencing emotions in a certain way.

Interesting! :)

I find that Ni/Fe is what allows me to analyze other people's emotions and my own, but I can't do it with my own in the moment. Ti tries so hard to stop me from getting stupid... It does..but it's not strong enough. I admit I don't understand the functions all that well, but I don't see how to process our own emotions with Fe/Ni. Do you think Ni/Fe helps you be logical or analytical and help deal with emotions in the moment? How? I really need to figure out a better way to manage my emotions in the moment and not become irrational. Once I become overly emotional Ni fucks up. I start misinterpreting everything. I can't understand what is being said. I can't read properly. I can't think! Ni messes up big time. It's not pretty.

Interesting, so what you are saying is that Ti may not be where the majority of our logic based assumptions is derived from? Also, I would like to hear more about how you see things differently, has your visual spatial ability risen?
What I am saying is how I've come to learn my brain works. I'm not sure every INFJ's brain works the same. Some functions may be stronger some not so much. Engaging both sides of the brain at once...I always get them mixed up, is it left brain is our logical side and right brain our creative side?
For me and the visual spatial thing. I'm not sure I understand you asking if it has risen? Yes, it has changed, it is much different and the first time I had to explain it to the nuropyschologist I thought myself nutz. Thank goodness I had a letter from my Graphic design instructor at the time.and the department head of the learning center preceed me there. I can see all sides of a thing. To explain...we had a still life in drawing class, my design instructor had set up a stool with a spool of string, a vase with a pencil in it, on top of a desk placed in front of the blackboard. We were to draw this. I began mine and was quite into it when the instructor asked what it was I was drawing. I looked at the picture and it was reversed from everyone else's. I was drawing from the perspective of the blackboard side. Everyone in class was facing the blackboard, including me. But on my paper it looked like I was seeing the still life from behind the blackboard. To say the least it caused a big fuss at the college and I had my 5-minutes of fame because of it. It's unique for sure. Guess we all process differently.

Interesting! :)

I find that Ni/Fe is what allows me to analyze other people's emotions and my own, but I can't do it with my own in the moment. Ti tries so hard to stop me from getting stupid... It does..but it's not strong enough. I admit I don't understand the functions all that well, but I don't see how to process our own emotions with Fe/Ni. Do you think Ni/Fe helps you be logical or analytical and help deal with emotions in the moment? How? I really need to figure out a better way to manage my emotions in the moment and not become irrational. Once I become overly emotional Ni fucks up. I start misinterpreting everything. I can't understand what is being said. I can't read properly. I can't think! Ni messes up big time. It's not pretty.
I'll have to think on this. I Will come back to your question.

Reactions: CindyLou
To me Ti is just using the data from Ni and Fe and presenting it in a different manner, thus expanding the perception available for the Ni and Fe to work even better -- presenting "feelings", or sometimes not even feelings, but a feeling associated with certain objects for example, in a Ti manner.

This does not mean Ti isn't Ti, but more of a way for the already present Ni to work better in a way that is much less straightforward.

Just to add, imo sometimes the auxiliary aint even as it is, but how the Ni chooses to express itself. Maybe or not this is true.

I don't think INFJs inherently have very good formal logic skills. They can train in this area and develop it just as well as anyone but it's not the "natural way" of the INFJ brain.
Our symbolic logic is pretty on point though.
The way an INFJ formulates thoughts is more like thinking from the aether or the gut, and then working backward to describe it.
It's why we sometimes come across as shaky, incoherent, or not well equipped when discussing complicated subjects.
The end product/thought is in our brain almost instantly but we have to dig out the right descriptors, which is another skill that an INFJ may or may not have honed well.
We have a sort of soft dialectic nature seeking truth that shares some sense of harmony, as opposed to the INTJs rigid dialectic approach, truth or bust.