inferior Function vs learning disability | INFJ Forum

inferior Function vs learning disability

meta4

Two
Feb 26, 2011
MBTI
1nfj
Enneagram
Hi All, I have battled Generalized Anxiety Disorder all my life. After researching several books on MTBI and learning about the function order, it seems that there is some relationships between my inferior function, (thinking) my dominate function (intuition) my (so called learning disability) my (so called ADD diagnoses) and my GAD. I am a INFJ

When I was tested for a learning disability 15 years ago at the age of 35, half of the tests gave me an IQ of about 160. The other tests where well below 100, Early High school level according to the Doctor. It appears that any tests that used my dominate function scored really high, but any tests that used my inferior function scored really low. Subsequently I almost flunked out of high school, never attended college, and have held jobs all my life that where well beneath my ability's. But I consume a book every 2 weeks from amazon on mental health, spirituallity, psychology. And have so for years.

So I am hypothesizing that the fact that my anxiety disorder is caused by facing life solely on the intuition is not that effective in situations that need thinking logic like most of everyday life.

I have been trying to make it in business for the last 10 years because I am basically unemployable in any real job of any quality that allows me to use my strengths. The stress of having to make decisions waiting to intuitively know what to do is driving me to an early grave. I really need a partner, which I have been looking for, but I am really thinking of trying to go to college to be a therapist of some sort, since that is what I am best at according to my wife and friends. Problem with that is I would be 56 before I would start my career and I would have to sell my photography studio business as well as my home, because I could not afford to keep it. An then I would still have to pay back my student loans.

Any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated. BTW I have no idea on my enneagram, I just guessed at it.

Randy

Firstly my stepdad is named Randy and he is an INFJ. Whoa
It sounds like you're feeling frustrated with where you are in life. You need to spent some time developing your other hobbies and getting into the world. That's all I can advise, maybe a wiser member around here could help you. Welcome!

edit: I think you're looking at the wrong problem. Is the problem that you don't understand how your type and disorder relate, or that you are unhappy?

Last edited:
So I am hypothesizing that the fact that my anxiety disorder is caused by facing life solely on the intuition is not that effective in situations that need thinking logic like most of everyday life.

I'm not an expert or have enough knowledge in any of the areas you mentioned but I am really curious to know if there is any correlations as well.

Hmm... Interesting really. Have you read profile descriptions on PersonalityPage.com? It has a highly detailed and structured way of analyzing preferences, functions and whole types. It even has descriptions of your usual behavior in relationship or... under stress.

You need the latter one. It says most of our problems stem from the fact that our dominant function overtake our personality to a point where the other functions - most notably the secondary - is only there as a filter to prove the dominant or provide power for it. Interesting as a general idea.

On the other hand it's not uncommon to use just your dominant function - at least not at the age of 5-7... Then most people start to explore and gradually trust therefore use his or her secondary function. Most of the people use these two in their lives almost simultaneously - perceive and decide, perceive and decide or the other way around.

People in your age however often tend to explore the deeper layers of their personality and become comfortable using their tertiary function while the least function tends to only come around when you don't expect it. From the unconscious. At any age.

Anyway that's the 'normal' way it goes. If you have had an environment which restricted your dominant function then you obvoiusly developed your secondary and tertiary way before the usual people. (As I did for example.) In your case that's the other way around: you can't seem to use your Fe and Ti somehow.

Work on it. Change environment - to one where you can 'practise' deciding based upon personal values without consequences. To trust it. Watch movies where Ti is often used - as you can by nature immerse yourself in other people's motivations and personality you can adapt this function quite 'externally'. Set up personal incentives and work on reaching them in an environment which develops your Ti. Maths-oriented schools helped me greatly - they just had a side effect of leaving my dominant function underdeveloped. An earlier mistype also didn't help. Anyway it's 'safe' to play for it *after* you feel comfortable using your basic functions.

As always listen to others as well. As an INFJ I try to find out the motives of your current situation, make you realize it so you can help yourself. Having a reasonably well developed Sensing preference also helps me giving you concrete solutions. But there's a chance I'm wrong...

Hmm... Interesting really. Have you read profile descriptions on PersonalityPage.com? It has a highly detailed and structured way of analyzing preferences, functions and whole types. It even has descriptions of your usual behavior in relationship or... under stress.

Just reread them. My brain is such a pinball machine it is rare that I ever fully read anything. It take several tries.

You need the latter one. It says most of our problems stem from the fact that our dominant function overtake our personality to a point where the other functions - most notably the secondary - is only there as a filter to prove the dominant or provide power for it. Interesting as a general idea.

Pleas Clarify..

On the other hand it's not uncommon to use just your dominant function - at least not at the age of 5-7... Then most people start to explore and gradually trust therefore use his or her secondary function. Most of the people use these two in their lives almost simultaneously - perceive and decide, perceive and decide or the other way around.

yes my inner humanitarian values make the judgments whether my logic likes it or not.

People in your age however often tend to explore the deeper layers of their personality and become comfortable using their tertiary function while the least function tends to only come around when you don't expect it. From the unconscious. At any age.

Been working at the tertiary for a while now. The anixiety does a good job of walling me off of my senses. I have been working at somatic exercises to try to reduce the sensory amnesia if I ever had sense connection in the first place.

Anyway that's the 'normal' way it goes. If you have had an environment which restricted your dominant function then you obviously developed your secondary and tertiary way before the usual people. (As I did for example.) In your case that's the other way around: you can't seem to use your Fe and Ti somehow.

My parents actually reinforced my introverted intuition and the behavior it initiated. They saw I was gifted, but that is all they understood. I never developed the ti/e to actually do something with any of it. This is where the Add/learning disability comes into play.

Work on it. Change environment - to one where you can 'practise' deciding based upon personal values without consequences. To trust it. Watch movies where Ti is often used - as you can by nature immerse yourself in other people's motivations and personality you can adapt this function quite 'externally'. Set up personal incentives and work on reaching them in an environment which develops your Ti. Maths-oriented schools helped me greatly - they just had a side effect of leaving my dominant function underdeveloped. An earlier mistype also didn't help. Anyway it's 'safe' to play for it *after* you feel comfortable using your basic functions.

Good advice.

As always listen to others as well. As an INFJ I try to find out the motives of your current situation, make you realize it so you can help yourself. Having a reasonably well developed Sensing preference also helps me giving you concrete solutions. But there's a chance I'm wrong...

I don't think you are wrong at all. Thanks for taking time to share your experience.

Last edited: