In what ways or you not an INFJ? (for the INFJ's) | INFJ Forum

In what ways or you not an INFJ? (for the INFJ's)

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
There are some things I find I do that don't typically strike either myself or others as being INFJ-ish. Yet any test I take says INFJ with over 70% in each area (Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling & Judging) although my Fe tends to dip a bit into the 60% mark.

So I'm not just referring to the "shadow" functions that we all have. These are more like secondary characteristics that stand out on a normal day.

I love driving "things". Name you're vehicle and I've pretty much driven it (except a commercial "big rig") from recreational vehicles to farm equipment, Jeeps to sports cars and Big Wheels to bicycles. I even find it fun to go in reverse with a trailer attached and squeeze into a tight spot.

I love taking things apart to see how they work and then put them back together. Even when I don't love to do it, I still manage (like disassembling a small internal combustion engine to clean out an oil leak). I had a POS van once that I bought for $1 and needed to do all the work on myself and found that I actually kind of enjoyed it.

I like technical details and history more so than art and literature. Although I'm very right-brained dominant with a creative flare, many of my external interests are left-brained in nature. Go figure!

I've been told I give good speeches and presentations. Very interactive, asking questions, involving people, etc. Even if it means getting up in front of a crowd and role-playing or making an ass of myself. I tend to walk around the room, and be rather active; I hate podiums and stages! For someone whose Introverted function rates at about 90% people who don't know me outside of those occasions think I'm naturally very outgoing.

So how to you break the INFJ mold? I'd like to know how some of the others on here don't fit in with the INFJ stereotypes.

Reactions: invisible
i play the extrovert a lot. i am a performer. i like the attention. i like exploring that part of myself and figuring out how to make it work.

I'm sarcastic to the point of seen as not having many feelings or being sensitive.

Reactions: grt$5vb
I may sound like a braggart - but personally I think INFJs can be just about anything or anyone they wish.

We have the ability to see things from many, many perspectives and we are extremely curious about how/why things are - they way they are. This tends to lead us into all areas of experiences.

imo, We are light years ahead of those who cannot take time to look within themselves and find their core.

With these kinds of traits, why wouldn't it lead one to stretch themselves into all facets of being human?

When I was young, I'd read books from the library on training horses to jump. Then I'd find scrap materials and build jumps to train my horse. I liked math and science. Joined a sorority in college. Sewed prom dresses. I love to design alternatives to traditional houses and supporting systems. I have actually had the privilege of building them. I've run some businesses, managed employees and contractors. Had my own corporation. Did all of the taxes.
At my age there is a long list of seemingly Non INFJ stuff.

You can do anything if your heart is in it.

I may sound like a braggart - but personally I think INFJs can be just about anything or anyone they wish.

I know that for type 4's, we sometimes adapt traits of people we envy and I think infj's can do this fairly well too. I think we're fairly fickle creatures in nature and can adapt into many facets of life.

You WILL see me out on the dance floor. I will not make eye contact, or dance with men, but, if I've had enough liquid courage to forget anyone's watching me, I'll even wrangle my girls into grinding in the cage. I love being interactive with the music, losing myself, and forgetting the world inside my head.

Reactions: Nixie and bickelz
If I'm not in a stressed or anxious mindset, I'm quite an outgoing person and enjoy communication, people, social gatherings, etc. [So long as I have my time to withdraw and recharge after.]
I 'play the extrovert' a lot and can act quite ENFPish.
I appear to be quite an impulsive, scattered, disorganized person. [Though this is more due to the fact that most my super-neurotic-organized tendencies are internal rather than external]

If I'm not in a stressed or anxious mindset, I'm quite an outgoing person and enjoy communication, people, social gatherings, etc. [So long as I have my time to withdraw and recharge after.]
I 'play the extrovert' a lot and can act quite ENFPish.
I appear to be quite an impulsive, scattered, disorganized person. [Though this is more due to the fact that most my super-neurotic-organized tendencies are internal rather than external]
u know i always thot u were an ENFP
you're just oh so very friendly

I love being interactive with the music, losing myself, and forgetting the world inside my head.

+1
I love the feeling of music flowing through me. I get into it a lot more than my friends. In fact I'm head-banging in my room, alone right now.

+1
I love the feeling of music flowing through me. I get into it a lot more than my friends. In fact I'm head-banging in my room, alone right now.

Yup, I will head bang @ the bowling alley, and embarrass my friends, and I embarrass them at concerts, because I will stand up & dance for hours. I never bring a date to concerts, because I am solely focused on the music, and they would get ignored, lol. I don't need alcohol at a concert, because I can feed off the energy level of the band.

Yup, I will head bang @ the bowling alley, and embarrass my friends, and I embarrass them at concerts, because I will stand up & dance for hours. I never bring a date to concerts, because I am solely focused on the music, and they would get ignored, lol. I don't need alcohol at a concert, because I can feed off the energy level of the band.

LMFAO! I was in a band, but tend to avoid concerts whenever possible (horrible lighting, sounds systems, smoke filled rooms and sometimes just really crappy music you can't escape from!!!). There are only a few select times I will go to one and the last two were exactly like this clip. Yep, exactly like that in damn near every way - a couple of us friends, my freaked out wife and Rush :) My wife gave me the exact weirded-out look as the guy's fiance in here does during the couple concerts I've taken her to!

[video=youtube_share;YOckQm-TpWk]http://youtu.be/YOckQm-TpWk[/video]

Reactions: Kgal and grt$5vb
My S/T attributes are well developed. Much of it is from learning how to come to a middle ground with an S/T spouse (but why can they not come to an N/F middle ground?????) The biggest part where I defy the NFJ is by being a research monger. I do it very well. I researched my genealogy for over 10 years, research local history and in my volunteer work I research my cases. The NF part allow my imagination to flow and step into the shoes of others in order to gain more information and new perspective .. which I then go to fact finding.

I wanted to do paralegal work for a while, but got a taste of what it is like working for an attorney ... dying a slow death. I realized I don't want a desk job. I also realized that it was difficult providing supporting for a case where a client was criminally negligent (due to my own ethics.)

I wanted to do paralegal work for a while, but got a taste of what it is like working for an attorney ... dying a slow death. I realized I don't want a desk job. I also realized that it was difficult providing supporting for a case where a client was criminally negligent (due to my own ethics.)

I actually got accepted to Law School years ago but backed out. Shows like Law & Order, Rainmaker, The Firm, Devils Advocate, Murder of Crows, etc. etc. etc. make it look so entertaining. Then I looked at the cold, boring, reality of it and felt my soul getting sucked out!!

Reactions: Sriracha