Imagine Renovation | INFJ Forum

Imagine Renovation

S

Shai Gar

Okay, you have a two level house, no yard.

It has two open levels and is designed as a shop at the moment. Imagine that you have bought it to renovate into a house. It is zoned for Residential/Commercial so this is okay.

What rooms will you put into the house, where will you put them?

First floor: shop, 2nd floor: 1 bedroom flat.

Either let out the whole thing for commercial purposes or let them out separately.

Depends on the area and demand of course.

should have been more specific.
Renovate it for your own living purposes.
There is a front door on the main street, and at the back of the place are the single stairs going upstairs.

Can't really say unless I know the dimensions, have a current floorplan, ect.

I could say make it into 2, 4 bedroom flats, but I doubt that's viable.

Edit: Also need to know the positions of the windows, if it's a terrace/semi... You get the idea.

Last edited:
I do... On mobile atm, will try when i get home. Look for 64 Burt St, Boulder WA online.

i am thinking bedroom // bathroom/laundry upstairs, kitchen, livingroom downstairs.

I do... On mobile atm, will try when i get home. Look for 64 Burt St, Boulder WA online.

i am thinking bedroom // bathroom/laundry upstairs, kitchen, livingroom downstairs.

That seems most logical, is there anything special you want out of it?

Seeing as the first floor was a shop front you could probably get a nice lounge out of it.

Bear in mind that I only work with property, but am not a property developer. So I wouldn't take any advice I give as gospel.

Ideas are what i care about more than scientific truths.

Since the front has pane glass windows, I am considering replacing that with twi way mirror glass/perspex

When visiting my ex's family in Norway, I discovered that it isn't uncommon for some homes to be designed in a manner that we would think is reverse, e.g. bedrooms on the main floor, but stairway up to the main living area upstairs. If view and/or privacy is a consideration, reversing what we've grown to think of as standard might be a viable option. In this reverse design you might see mudroom, laundry, storage, and bedrooms downstairs, and living/kitchen upstairs. Norwegians worship their sunlight, especially in the winter when the sun is so low in the horizon, so putting living areas up higher takes advantage of every bit. Then maybe add a large roof deck? Would love to see pictures so my imagination could run wild.

Do you have a balcony upstairs?

What do the windows face?
Any view?

Okay this might not be feasable but it would be sooo awesome if it could work:

Block up the downstairs door and make the downstairs open plan. You can use the back door as the main entrance.

Without knowing what sort of space you're dealing with, I like having a lounge and coffee table in my bedroom with a couple of cool table lamps... probably because I like reading there. That means two lounges one upstairs, the other down.

Having the laundry in the bedroom, while handy doesn't sound like a good idea - rest and relaxation areas should be kept completely free of desks, paperwork, domestic chore reminders - so when you relax, you can really relax without the smell of detergent reminding you that you have to put a load on.

When visiting my ex's family in Norway, I discovered that it isn't uncommon for some homes to be designed in a manner that we would think is reverse, e.g. bedrooms on the main floor, but stairway up to the main living area upstairs. If view and/or privacy is a consideration, reversing what we've grown to think of as standard might be a viable option. In this reverse design you might see mudroom, laundry, storage, and bedrooms downstairs, and living/kitchen upstairs. Norwegians worship their sunlight, especially in the winter when the sun is so low in the horizon, so putting living areas up higher takes advantage of every bit.

It would make perfect sense for someone to implement this in the Seattle area.

I did up a design.

Bedroom, Bathroom, Laundry, Kitchen, Library.

Anyone think of other rooms I might need.

You need a library? Whatever floats your boat.

What about a lounge, or somewhere to chill anyway.

A library is a place to chill.

I am thinking about a couple of leather couches.

I have a queen sized bed for that. Otherwise, if they don't like the idea of lounges in the libraries, I don't want to entertain them.