If I Am INFJ (Ni+Fe) | INFJ Forum

If I Am INFJ (Ni+Fe)

May 17, 2011
MBTI
XXXX
Enneagram
If I am INFJ, what are some Ni/Fi activities, or readings, or topics that should be natural to me?
What does an infj get exposed to and just *get*?

I've always typed as an intp but I've been read as an infj by someone and I want to look into it further.

In terms of functions, explain:

Why do you think you are INTP?
Why might you be INFJ?
Why are you not any other type?

If I am INFJ, what are some Ni/Fi activities, or readings, or topics that should be natural to me?

First, Ni-Fe for INFJ. No activities or readings or topics should be more natural to you than to any other type, cognition is quite a different topic to Keirsey behavioural archetypes.

What does an infj get exposed to and just *get*?

INFJs will have an ego focus on a set of ideas or axioms which are sense checked against the ethics in their peer group to bring these forward. They will disdain others overtly showing logic and critical analysis as proof. They will often be hypocritical sensitive to others displays of judgement regarding looks or actions whilst dabbling in this themselves infrequently.

INTPs will have an ego focus on their internal logic and sense check this against ideas or axioms in their environment. They will disdain elaborate communication without attention to detail by others and will react very strongly to instances of people breaking group cohesiveness and friendship whilst hypocritically doing so themselves infrequently.

^that post probably won't clear things up in the slightest.

As an IN w/Ti you are no doubt constantly thinking about things, and you would consider your views to be quite logically based. However, as for logic, there will be a difference in how important you see it as being. An INTP will tend to want everything well defined, and systematic in a purely logical manner, whereas an INFJ will tend to use logic loosely to provide structure, whereas the real content of the ideas is held intuitively (thus prone to outside misunderstanding). As an introvert with less typical thought patterns, you probably are mostly asocial, however an INFJ will tend to nonetheless have a good intuitive understanding of people's behaviour - it makes intuitive sense - whereas INTPs seem to find a lot of human behaviour to be utterly bewildering. As an INTP, your Pi function is Si meaning you tend to have a more exact/detail based memory, whereas the memory of an INFJ will be almost completely lacking in details, but have an excellent perception of the meaning of the situation that occured, tending to build the details around this like a dream. INTPs tend to perceive new ideas as existing 'out there', whereas INFJs are very much concerned with building up an inner store of ideas, which they are constantly trying to reduce to a more elegant structure - and when a particularly nice restructuing occurs, there will be an A-ha! thought process, which may last quite some time. The INTP will see these ideas manifest, and disappear, whereas to an INFJ, they become a part of him - everything is parsed for meaning through a specific filter, and any new ideas will take quite some time to consolidate and work in to the INFJs worldview. Unless the idea is representative of ideas already known in the INFJ's psyche, the significance will take some time to bear itself out - often an idea will need to be seen once, and then again at a later date for it to be seen as worthwhile. The INTP, while not always being able to put his ideas to words either, will nonetheless tend to have a very precise structure to his thoughts, deliberately systemising his knowledge and brainstorming what it is he knows. The INFJ will have a more fluid model, and thoughts are rarely deliberate, but come to him seemingly randomly, with the flow of these thoughts being thus directed - like someone driving a car, they may adjust the speed and direction, but they have to take in the scenergy already present, and use predefined paths; the content is generally not deliberately chosen.

k I think this is probably pretty long now. I hope something I mentioned helps a bit.

What helped me was comparing my thought patterns to Ti-dominants, and then to Ni-dominants - from reading MBTI forums this should clearly manifest itself, however I advise against using this forum to calibrate for Ni; the INTPs vs. INFJs from INTPforum are probably a safer comparison - and realising that my thoughts were very much Ni. I thought of myself as being rather logical, but when it comes down to it logic is not too big a part of me - it's just a tool I use; all the real insight is held totally in intuition, and just 'comes' to me rather than being deliberately thought out.

INFJ = synthetic philosopher
INTP = analytic philosopher

Last edited:
Reactions: Jana and Nixie
^that post probably won't clear things up in the slightest.

It absolutely would if they were one of the aforementioned types.

Each to their own however.

Regardless, INTJ has Ni dominance, INTP does not have Ni... has Ti-Ne... I've never heard of an INTP being dubbed an analytical philosopher for that reason.

It absolutely would if they were one of the aforementioned types.

Well, to me neither of those descriptions really struck me as being true nor untrue of myself. Perhaps for the OP the distinction will be more clear.

Regardless, INTJ has Ni dominance, INTP does not have Ni... has Ti-Ne... I've never heard of an INTP being dubbed an analytical philosopher for that reason.
Well, INTJ has Ni-dominance too, yeah, but I'm assuming the OP understands that they don't have Te/Fi.

I think synthetic vs. analytic with regards to disciplines such as philosophy is a nice way to distinguish Ni from Ti-Ne. Do you not think so? Can you elaborate on why? You could apply the same to mathematics as well; even in the discipline of analysis, and Ni is likely to approach the subject in a synthetic manner. Conceptual understanding is what is important for an Ni, logical proof is more important for the Ti.

Also, Ti+Ne is very prone to skepticism; I think Ni's tend not to throw away viewpoints until they have something better, and may be prone to alternating between a small set of different viewpoints. Thesis + Antithesis = Synthesis, the rule of Ni.

Last edited:
I think synthetic vs. analytic with regards to disciplines such as philosophy is a nice way to distinguish Ni from Ti-Ne. Do you not think so? Can you elaborate on why? You could apply the same to mathematics as well; even in the discipline of analysis, and Ni is likely to approach the subject in a synthetic manner. Conceptual understanding is what is important for an Ni, logical proof is more important for the Ti.

I wouldn't say Ni is inclined to Synthetic vs Analytic understanding. These are very broad churches.

I would state that Ni-Se as a set tends to perceive the worlds in terms of what it does (functional).
Whereas Ne-Si tends to perceive the world in terms of categorization (hierarchical).

Ti-Fe tends to think of world in terms of 'this is my logic' and 'these are the social needs and how we communicate'.
Fi-Te tends to think of the world in terms of 'this is I view to be right' and 'this is how we implement it and share information'.

Of course, this does not mean I am any more right about it than you are. apples=/=oranges

Addendum

This is a gross simplification because it is highly dependant upon the functional positions; thus I am much much more comfortable with Post #5

INFJs will have an ego focus on a set of ideas or axioms which are sense checked against the ethics in their peer group to bring these forward. They will disdain others overtly showing logic and critical analysis as proof. They will often be hypocritical sensitive to others displays of judgement regarding looks or actions whilst dabbling in this themselves infrequently.

Do you realise that your prejudice and negative bias completely negates the usefulness of your analysis? You go against everything that type understanding stands for.

Do you realise that your prejudice and negative bias completely negates the usefulness of your analysis? You go against everything that type understanding stands for.

Not at all, what you seem to imply is that understanding is only understanding positives 'We can only type via the first two functions'.

The negatives are of equal importance when typing the tert, PoLR and inferior. I'm just stating there are two sides to every coin; to ignore the non-golden side is dubious.

INFJs will have an ego focus on a set of ideas or axioms (Ni Ego) which are sense checked against the ethics in their peer group to bring these forward (Fe Parent). They will disdain others overtly showing logic and critical analysis as proof (Te PoLR, Ti Tert). They will often be hypocritical sensitive to others displays of judgement regarding looks or actions whilst dabbling in this themselves infrequently (Se Anima/Animus).

INTJs will have an ego focus on a set of ideas or axioms (Ni Ego) which are sense checked against a critical analysis of the external world for proof (Te Parent). They will disdain sociality from others being used to demand they play nice (Fe PoLR, Te Tert). They will often be hypocritical sensitive to others displays of judgement regarding looks or actions whilst dabbling in this themselves infrequently (Se Anima/Animus).

See what I did?

Wow, this is a lot to read and comprehend.

I most associate with Ti, Si, Fe, Se - when it comes to intuition, I can see myself understanding Ni and Ne but I believe I use Ne while not being able to clearly articulate it.

The way I believe I use Ne is so that it's feeding in appropriate information within my Ti framework.

Oddly, I've studied seduction, pickup, and are a part of my community so I seem to have only developed a sort of framework regarding social behavior and especially of that of the opposite sex.

Couple this with MBTI/Jungian Functions and behavior of others no longer seems like a complete mystery to me, but I can even engage in it and enjoy it.

For example, for years I have avoided going out into the nightlife but recently have been exposed to it and enjoy it. I now understand why people like to dance, why they enjoy these venues, etc...

I've been typed as an INFJ by Pod'Lair but I cannot relate to a great deal of the INFJ descriptions around the internet, including that of my Keirsay. I tend to have a skeptical view of anything that Ni produces as it's my belief that it is a sort of delusional function and I've witnessed many Ni dom/secon users abuse it and leave it unchecked so to say.

However, I cant say I also relate to being an intp as well. I've never completed high school, math is one of my weakest subjects (only due to lack of practice), I don't like computers or like to code, but they seem to come naturally to me as I learned HTML at a very young age and have been involved a webmaster.

I'm now in University and having a hard time with focusing, doing the work, especially since it's computer science related. It seems stupid and ridiculous; I feel childish doing the work when I've been so used to just outsourcing or leveraging other people during my years away from school. I just don't fucking care about computers. And this has all lead to me to wonder if perhaps I really am an infj (as typed by Pod'Lair) and that I should pursue something different.

If you were read as INFJ, it probably means that you show constant signs of introverted perceiving. You don't think things through like a Ti would, you merely perceive them, and then use thinking to structure what you see, or Fe to directly communicate it to people.

As for focusing: does the idea of learning by helping others to learn appeal to you?

I totally relate to where you're coming from. I'm experiencing the same I don't care about this reaction to all of my studies, and I think the reason for it is that I'm only able to learn when I can be part of some sort of group - whether that be a few people, a class, a forum - where I'm able to take on a role, and thus feel compelled to study and learn the material, not fot its own sake, but for the sake of not letting down the group. However, what I found is that this community aspect is totally missing from university. Classes are all impersonal, and there is little opportunity to prove your intelligence unless you're already motivated to do the work. This means you have to get your motivation as an individual - it has to come completely from you, and be completely about you. However, this is not the easiest thing for an INFJ. You -might- be better in a different area, however so long as you are at university you will probably find the same problems no matter what you study, because you will find yourself in the same position with regards to other people.

Summary: it's not the subject that matters, but the community that surrounds it.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Let me get this straight...

You are beginning to consider that Pod'Lair saw something in you that no other model before was capable of detecting, and yet you are consulting with users of the other, obviously inadequate, model for more information on what they were not capable of seeing in the first place...

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to, you know, simply ask us (Pod'Lair) why we read you in the way that we did?

If you are worried that the model that typed you as an INTP failed you, then why the fuck are you going back to that model for confirmation on a problem that it could not solve correctly?

Wow. I really don't know what to say other than to quote Einstein "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

If you were read as INFJ, it probably means that you show constant signs of introverted perceiving. You don't think things through like a Ti would, you merely perceive them, and then use thinking to structure what you see, or Fe to directly communicate it to people.

It could also be that he uses a persona, that the one who typed him was biased / lacked of knowledge / believed he was right but typing other people isn't quite as easy as we may think it is considering that we all use our functions differently, have different levels of emotional awareness, skills or intelligence, put on a mask, etc.

It could also be that he was typed by someone who tried to pick up some of his functions without really thinking about how developped they were. I've been told that I was either an INTP or an INFJ because Ti and Fe (and intuition) were spotted in my posts. Ni / Ne tend to be difficult to determine for many people so it could easily justify the confusion.

This post is interesting anyway, quite useful.

InvisibleJim, since you talked about functions, what about Fe-Ti (you only mentionned TiFe and FiTe, INFJ have FeTi) ?

Let me get this straight...

You are beginning to consider that Pod'Lair saw something in you that no other model before was capable of detecting, and yet you are consulting with users of the other, obviously inadequate, model for more information on what they were not capable of seeing in the first place...

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to, you know, simply ask us (Pod'Lair) why we read you in the way that we did?

If you are worried that the model that typed you as an INTP failed you, then why the fuck are you going back to that model for confirmation on a problem that it could not solve correctly?

Wow. I really don't know what to say other than to quote Einstein "Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

"ur so stupid. y r u so stupid lol"

It could also be that he uses a persona, that the one who typed him was biased / lacked of knowledge / believed he was right but typing other people isn't quite as easy as we may think it is considering that we all use our functions differently, have different levels of emotional awareness, skills or intelligence, put on a mask, etc.

It could also be that he was typed by someone who tried to pick up some of his functions without really thinking about how developped they were. I've been told that I was either an INTP or an INFJ because Ti and Fe (and intuition) were spotted in my posts. Ni / Ne tend to be difficult to determine for many people so it could easily justify the confusion.

This post is interesting anyway, quite useful.

InvisibleJim, since you talked about functions, what about Fe-Ti (you only mentionned TiFe and FiTe, INFJ have FeTi) ?

They use video typing and are probably correct (from what I've seen, it fits so well with the function model that it's pretty wtf that no one bothered to do this before)