I want to start up my own portrait business, but my emotions are a major roadblock. | INFJ Forum

I want to start up my own portrait business, but my emotions are a major roadblock.

Hkr006

Aug 14, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Hey y'all.
Please don't judge and please resist the urge to respond sarcastically.

I've always had a talent for drawing. Due to drawing a crazy amount of people in the past, I've gotten highly skilled at drawing portraits.

I can draw someone in under four minutes with a ballpoint pen and it look like them. I've wowed people before with this abiliy and as an introvert, it has been a hit at social circles. Usually I'd carry copy paper on me, have a pen, and just draw quick portraits for free: socializatuon was its reward.

But now I'm in a predicament. I deep down would want to make good on my ability. It's potentially easy money, but as someone without a vehicle or license (Im 26 and its a rite of passage not yet crossed), I feel like part of it is too beyond my reach.

Intellectually, I know I'll have to start somewhere and I have an okay ig presence, but my emotions just override my head whenever I think of all of the peaks and valleys of trying to run my own portrait business.

It's scary and I need people on here to give me advice that wont be like: "You're stupid."

I want to make money on the side, especially as a grad student. Once my emotions start fucking with me, it's like I just retreat and say "fuck it," my drawings aren't good enough...even though I know they are.

My anxiety has also taken me out of driving, but that's its own separate issue. I've always been one to see all the potential cliffs and steer clear.

Advice?

Hey y'all.

I've always had a talent for drawing. Due to drawing a crazy amount of people in the past, I've gotten highly skilled at drawing portraits.

I can draw someone in under four minutes with a ballpoint pen and it look like them. I've wowed people before with this abiliy and as an introvert, it has been a hit at social circles. Usually I'd carry copy paper on me, have a pen, and just draw quick portraits for free: socializatuon was its reward.

But now I'm in a predicament. I deep down would want to make good on my ability. It's potentially easy money, but as someone without a vehicle or license (Im 26 and its a rite of passage not yet crossed), I feel like part of it is too beyond my reach.

Intellectually, I know I'll have to start somewhere and I have an okay ig presence, but my emotions just override my head whenever I think of all of the peaks and valleys of trying to run my own portrait business.

It's scary and I need people on here to give me advice that wont be like: "You're stupid."

I want to make money on the side, especially as a grad student. Once my emotions start fucking with me, it's like I just retreat and say "fuck it," my drawings aren't good enough...even though I know they are.

My anxiety has also taken me out of driving, but that's its own separate issue. I've always been one to see all the potential cliffs and steer clear.

Advice?
I think it would serve you well to face your fear of driving. Easier said than done but absolutely worth doing.

As for your talent, absolutely charge money for it. Don't pussyfoot around.

Risks are worth taking for a life that's worth living.

Don't try to run your business in all the ways that are difficult for you. Run it the way that works for you. Don't like driving? Fuck that, stay at home and get an uber/taxi if you need to go somewhere. Don't like dealing with customers? Fuck that, make them pay online. Make it as stress free on yourself as possible but just make it happen. Zero expectations, zero bullshit. Worry about other stuff as you go along.

Hey y'all.

Advice?

As someone who hates driving and has actually mentioned it a couple of times here on the forum, I honestly get you. I have to frequently commute to university here in AZ and I hate it, especially around the Phoenix/ Tempe area during rush hour. So I get you. Some people drive like shit here too. If only the U.S. didn't only rely on cars and be like other countries that have more than one form of transportation, it would be amazing.

Anyways, social media is usually a good platform to start; especially if you want to sell art and get your name around. Etsy is also a good place if you decide if you want to sell your art through there too; it's pretty much the new hype there on buying items that are handmade and authentic.

Unfortunately, you do have to get over your fears and doubts. It's scary, yes; but you do have to make that certain leap if you want to kick-start a potential successful business for yourself. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Hey y'all.

Advice?

If I was in your shoes, I'd go for it. Nothing wrong with a side hustle. I myself have a relatively small business selling used car parts on eBay and Craigslist. Which on occasions it can be nerve racking when meeting people, but I would only go during the day and at safe zones.

As for transportation in my eyes it would depend on distance and budget.

Do you think you would start at your university? Or do online request and sell on places like Etsy?

Lmfao spoken like somebody who is 100% over it

You seriously have no effin idea lolol. Some people also have a bad habit on speeding way over the speed limit on freeways here too---like going 90 mph on a 65.

It sure is a sweet feeling when you see them get pulled-over by a cop too and you're like, "Well, you probably shouldn't have drove like a fuckin maniac ya doofus. So serves you right."

But yeah, I am so over driving haha. The only time I enjoy it is when I am not surrounded by traffic and I am on a long-highway where you can see the sunset while listening to some music. Those are nice.

Reactions: Wyote and Will
You seriously have no effin idea lolol. Some people also have a bad habit on speeding way over the speed limit on freeways here too---like going 90 mph on a 65.

*raises hand* :grin::grin:

Well I only speed when needed and if I can see far ahead that there's no traffic and no spotters. Back a few years ago I use to speed all ze time. I think my top speed was around 120+ mph.

Now I drive like a granny and hypermile like crazy to save fuel.

It sure is a sweet feeling when you see them get pulled-over by a cop too and you're like, "Well, you probably shouldn't have drove like a fuckin maniac ya doofus. So serves you right."

But yeah, I am so over driving haha. The only time I enjoy it is when I am not surrounded by traffic and I am on a long-highway where you can see the sunset while listening to some music. Those are nice.

Yeah, I was done with driving before I even started. In the future when automatic vehicles take us everywhere they will look back at this behavior of driving ourselves as psychotic.

Well I only speed when needed and if I can see far ahead that there's no traffic and no spotters. Back a few years ago I use to speed all ze time. I think my top speed was around 120+ mph.

Omgggg!! Hahaha! You're freaking crazy hahahaha! Did you ever get caught?

I think the fastest I ever went was an 85... lol... but it was mostly empty and no cars around, just me and an ol' highway on the desert. It felt exhilarating I'll admit lol.

Reactions: Wyote

It is hella fun to go fast, I'll give you that. Hopefully people will still have the opportunity to experience that kind of rush in the future. More safely perhaps, though it's the element of danger that really gets the endorphins going.

Yeah, I was done with driving before I even started. In the future when automatic vehicles take us everywhere they will look back at this behavior of driving ourselves as psychotic.

Yeah! I frequently see Waymos (a Google self-driving taxi company) around the Phoenix metropolitan area. It's pretty neat, but they are still testing it and everything. Sure doesn't feel too far away until self-driving cars will become the norm. Pretty exciting.

Reactions: Will and Wyote
It is hella fun to go fast, I'll give you that. Hopefully people will still have the opportunity to experience that kind of rush in the future. More safely perhaps, though it's the element of danger that really gets the endorphins going.

Omgggg!! Hahaha! You're freaking crazy hahahaha! Did you ever get caught?

I think the fastest I ever went was an 85... lol... but it was mostly empty and no cars around, just me and an ol' highway on the desert. It felt exhilarating I'll admit lol.

:smilingimp:

Ehhh once about two years ago. Was going 70 in a 45 mph zone. It was dumb, but I had a long day and just wanted to get home quick.

I may or may not have raced others as a teen.

LOL I think we're getting off topic here.

I may or may not have raced others as a teen

Me and my buddy used to meet up with the local street racing crew on Friday/Saturdays at like 1am. They were all pretty nice people.

Yeah! I frequently see Waymos (a Google self-driving taxi company) around the Phoenix metropolitan area. It's pretty neat, but they are still testing it and everything. Sure doesn't feel too far away until self-driving cars will become the norm. Pretty exciting.

Hmm self driving cars. This is a good topic for the tech threads.

Last edited: