[INFJ] - How to tell the difference between INFJ and INFP | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] How to tell the difference between INFJ and INFP

djarendee

Jul 26, 2012
MBTI
ESTP SLE-Ti
Enneagram
8w7 Sx/So
Sorry about this, I'm gonna have to put this thread on hold for a bit.

edit: I'm currently uploading another video that I think is much better and more personal which talks about developement of the bottom functions. Check back again later tonight!

Last edited:
I can tell you are estp because no prep went into this video.

The first video was a lot of shallow exterior stuff. The 2nd video, which I'm about to post, is much deeper.

I was just amused because the first few minutes (I didn't watch the full 8+ minutes) were totally off, at least for me. For example, when I lived alone, my apartment was sparse... All I had was my small sofa, a bed, a pub table in the kitchen and my bookshelves and books. Now that I live with my ENFP bf-- it's a different story. All the decor is his. Literally walls covered in paintings and photography and tribal masks... Tapestries on the ceilings and enormous potted vines that he strings along the ceiling-- spanning through the dining room and living room. Not my doing, but I've accepted and gotten used to it.. Though when the house needs tidying it can feel like we are living in a flea market LOL.

If you are going to talk about cognitive functions, you have to take into account that according to that theory, each type goes through different phases of development-- which means more variation..which makes it more complicated to say this external behavior is always characteristic of X type. ( I'm not a fan of blanket statements. But to help you out, perhaps that is one discriminating factor between infps and infjs?)

Anyway, for example, when I was younger the world was a much more sentimental and emotional place for me--- and EVERYTHING was loaded with feeling and symbolism and meaning-- there was a moral to be extracted from everything. I looked at all things through an Fi lens.

I don't operate so much that way anymore now that I'm going through the Ne-Te development phase. I've literally never been more organized and analytical in my life. I've never been more emperical or linear in my thinking than in my mid-later twenties.

when I sit down with a client now, I'm not focused on their feelings and philosophies and spiritual journey. That stuff is important,and I appreciate and value that info when it is shared, but u am primarily focused on what they want to do, if they are capable of doing it, and what plan and steps I need to come up with to make it happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugo145 and grt$5vb
Well that's very nice of you to say. Do you have any constructive remarks?

I thought there were several good remarks that I cant think of right this moment. I will watch again later to refresh my memory.

I was just amused because the first few minutes (I didn't watch the full 8+ minutes) were totally off, at least for me. For example, when I lived alone, my apartment was sparse... All I had was my small sofa, a bed, a pub table in the kitchen and my bookshelves and books. Now that I live with my ENFP bf-- it's a different story. All the decor is his. Literally walls covered in paintings and photography and tribal masks... Tapestries on the ceilings and enormous potted vines that he strings along the ceiling-- spanning through the dining room and living room. Not my doing, but I've accepted and gotten used to it.. Though when the house needs tidying it can feel like we are living in a flea market LOL.

If you are going to talk about cognitive functions, you have to take into account that according to that theory, each type goes through different phases of development-- which means more variation..which makes it more complicated to say this external behavior is always characteristic of X type. ( I'm not a fan of blanket statements. But to help you out, perhaps that is one discriminating factor between infps and infjs?)

Anyway, for example, when I was younger the world was a much more sentimental and emotional place for me--- and EVERYTHING was loaded with feeling and symbolism and meaning-- there was a moral to be extracted from everything. I looked at all things through an Fi lens.

I don't operate so much that way anymore now that I'm going through the Ne-Te development phase. I've literally never been more organized and analytical in my life. I've never been more emperical or linear in my thinking than in my mid-later twenties.

when I sit down with a client now, I'm not focused on their feelings and philosophies and spiritual journey. That stuff is important,and I appreciate and value that info when it is shared, but u am primarily focused on what they want to do, if they are capable of doing it, and what plan and steps I need to come up with to make it happen.

You're going to like this new video, you might be able to help clarify the INFP stance a little more as well.

This video went at the distinction from within a cognitive functions viewpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wAlL99vDn4

I liked it. I often type as an INFP on tests but I know for sure I'm an INFJ. That vid helps to clarify things. He has a bossy voice.

In real life, if you happened to be in a room with both INFJ and INFP, I think their behavior is obviously different. An INFJ tends to be softer-spoken and the least brash of the two. An INFP may continue the conversation- providing flair and humor, while the INFJ may only contribute a few words. If a conflict arrises you are in luck! The FP will argue to defend their self or stance. While the FJ will likely not participate in the conflict by either leaving, saying nothing, or agreeing with the argument against their values in order to restore peace.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is between the two, the INFJ is more peaceful and adamant in their quest for peace than the INFP.

In real life, if you happened to be in a room with both INFJ and INFP, I think their behavior is obviously different. An INFJ tends to be softer-spoken and the least brash of the two. An INFP may continue the conversation- providing flair and humor, while the INFJ may only contribute a few words. If a conflict arrises you are in luck! The FP will argue to defend their self or stance. While the FJ will likely not participate in the conflict by either leaving, saying nothing, or agreeing with the argument against their values in order to restore peace.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is between the two, the INFJ is more peaceful and adamant in their quest for peace than the INFP.

Although I would agree that, generally speaking, INFJ's do tend to be a bit more quiet when it comes to a spoken encounter between any type whatsoever, I've got to disagree about trying to restore peace. If any type whatsoever was to start attacking my core values, I'd either stand for what I believe or give up and leave just to get them to shut up. INFJ's can be quite humorous and do tend to talk a lot when the subject is of interest to them and they have something to add - they just don't to it a lot. We aren't shy, just reserved. But if someone - anyone - draws us out, we tend to stand on what we believe. Or, at least, I do.

Reactions: Littlelissa

Nope.