How this actually works | INFJ Forum

How this actually works

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
I've been away studying up on Nardi's neuroscience data. Fascinating stuff.

Quite simply, Jung was right. There are 8 different ways in which the human brain can operate. We can call them dominant functions, but they're much more like operating systems. They're not actually evidenced by which regions of the brain are most often used. Instead, these functions become apparent in how the various regions interact with each other in real time.

Ni is a state in which the whole brain operates at moderate capacity. It looks a lot like pre-sleep. Any type can go into this state for short periods, but Ni doms go into it frequently, and this state is the 'go to'.

Interestingly enough, despite being easy to discern due to their operating patterns, Ne (which looks like a random set of explosions) has a lot in common with Ni when analyzed as a whole. Ti and Te doms have a very similar pattern to one another, as do Fi and Fe. However, Si and Se are very distinct as dominant functions. Se goes into an idle mode designed to react to stimuli by pouring activity into any given regions, while Si does the 'neuro-super-highway' pattern of two or three areas at very high levels of activity.

Each of these 8 dominant functions has four, yes I said four not two, ways in which they can lean their regional activity within the hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. Outer left, which is T and Extroverted leanings, but not necessarily Te. Inner left, which is T and Introverted leanings, but not necessarily Ti. Inner right, which is F and Introverted leanings, but not necessarily Fi. Outer right, which is F and Extroverted leanings, but not necessarily Fe.

Next up, there are four regions of the cerebral cortex that are used for making values based judgements. In Fi users, they move from the inner to outer regions. In Fe users, they move from the outer to inner regions. This will dictate the polarity of Fi+Te vs. Fe+Ti.

For example, an Ni dom can have more activity in the outer left hemisphere than the other regions of the brain. This will lean that Ni dom toward Extroversion and T, and will likely self assess as ENTJ or ENTP. In both cases, they would actually be incorrect. This individual is an INTJ if they are Fi+Te, or an INFJ if they are Fe+Ti, who has more activity in their outer left hemisphere than other regions.

While this seems utterly counter intuitive, the reason this is the case is simple. Dominant function is the primary factor in determining type. The vast majority of cerebral activity is based upon Dominant function, and the difference between each Dominant function is very obvious, and nearly unmistakable. If our example subject were an ENTJ or ENTP, the Te or Ne dominant patterns would be very obvious. Even if the subject had similar levels of activity in the same regions as either of these types, the Ni operating system would be entirely distinct. The secondary determining factor is whether or not the subject exhibits the Fi+Te pattern or the Fe+Ti pattern, as these are also processes, not simply static regional activity. Personality is in the processes, not the regions where our thoughts are most often formed.

This explains why a fair number of people mistype, and have a hard time narrowing down their types. It also supports Jung's theory which states there is a Dominant and Auxiliary function, and all other functions are Inferior to them (as they are simply manifestations of regional preferences).

So, here are the common INFJ mistypes, and why...

Ni > Fe+Ti > Outer Left: ENTJ or ENTP (more likely to associate with N dominance and Ti)
Ni > Fe+Ti > Inner Left: INTJ or INTP (more likely to associate with Ni+Ti loops)
Ni > Fe+Ti > Inner Right: INFJ or INFP ('standard' configuration for INFJ, though P scores are common if Ni is strong)
Ni > Fe+Ti > Outer Right: ENFJ or ENFP (more likely to associate with Fe)

I'm an example of the last one. I'm a clear Ni dom as well as an Fe+Ti polarity thinker, but I have more activity in the outer right than the other quadrants, leaning me Extrovert and F. This makes me seem like an ENFJ, but I simply don't have the Fe dominant operating pattern.

This principle applies to all of the type configurations, and explains not only how type functions in the brain, but also how mistypes happen. For example, here's the INTJ mistypes...

Ni > Fi+Te > Outer Left: ENTJ or ENTP (more likely to associate with Te)
Ni > Fi+Te > Inner Left: INTJ or INTP ('standard' configuration for INTJ, though P scores are common if Ni is strong)
Ni > Fi+Te > Inner Right: INFJ or INFP (more likely to associate with Ni+Fi loops)
Ni > Fi+Te > Outer Right: ENFJ or ENFP (more likely to associate with N dominance and Fi)

In other words, the personality system will require some revising to include a greater degree of individuation, as well as the understanding of how cognitive personality operates within the mind.

Reactions: Love_Conquers_All
Jung was a fricking genius!

To think he figured all that out largely through talking to people (ok he was studying the work of others eg Freud as well as alchemy and so on but still)....he didn't have brain scanners...he just had his inutition and on open mind (and lots of interviewees)

Jung was a fricking genius!

To think he figured all that out largely through talking to people (ok he was studying the work of others eg Freud as well as alchemy and so on but still)....he didn't have brain scanners...he just had his inutition and on open mind (and lots of interviewees)

He put so much emphasis on understanding lived experiences, and how that translates on understanding the human mind! He was really brilliant!

Reactions: muir
This is Freaking Amazing, thanks for sharing! now I understand why I scored so high in other cognitive functions even though I am clearly INFJ.

[MENTION=708]VH[/MENTION] could you go into more detail about the significance of the various areas of the brain and their interactions.

Reactions: Kgal
@VH could you go into more detail about the significance of the various areas of the brain and their interactions.

That's a pretty large volume of data. Start here.

[video=youtube;MGfhQTbcqmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGfhQTbcqmA[/video]

I'm genuinely not trying to be evasive. There is so much to all of this, I don't exactly know where to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flavus Aquila