How often do you put yourself or own interests first | INFJ Forum

How often do you put yourself or own interests first

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Gaze, Jan 14, 2012.

Share This Page

More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,387
    Messages:
    28,137
    Featured Threads:
    99
    Likes Received:
    21,848
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    How often do you put yourself or own interests first

    Do you tend to satisfy your own needs first than try to meet the needs of others or vice versa. Or are there particular situations where you do one first and then the other.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. namiasdf

    namiasdf Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2011
    Threads:
    6
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Social Type 3
    Well, I try to not disappoint anyone around me.
    I find that it leads to a lot of conflict, but I hate letting people down.

    As for the interests part, it's iffy.
    I tend to exert my opinions on other people, not because I'm so needing of being right, but because I care to much to allow people to make choices that are deemed wrong by my logic.
    This makes me a very stubborn person, and can get quite mean when people disagree with me.
    But in the end, most people identify that I just care, and now I have an entire social group that just accommodates my idiocy, because they know I'm a good friend.

    So it's sorta that I want them to be okay, through my own logic, which is my own interests.
    And that I tend to ignore the wants of others, as I believe that my opinion overrides theirs.

    Haha I'm bad. >.>
     
    Gaze and endersgone like this.
  3. Bollington

    Bollington Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    If at all possible, I try and put the needs of others before myself, because it feels much more rewarding and just right (might sound stupid, but that's how it is). Occasionally, however, I'll go rather reclusive and ignore pretty much everyone because I don't feel like it, which I guess in a way might be putting myself first, just not on an obvious conscious level.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze likes this.
  4. FamineGT

    FamineGT Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2010
    Threads:
    1
    Messages:
    84
    Likes Received:
    17
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6, 9, 5
    I used to be heavily concerned more about the people around me rather than my own needs as I felt that their problems were worse than mine. Now I've learned to tone that back a bit and balance my needs/interests with everyone else's. I'm under the mentality now that if I can't handle my own situation, how am I supposed to help other people with theirs? So when I'm approached by someone now for a request/favour/help, I have to objectively look at my current situation and the time I can commit to the person's request. People that I really like/respect I generally have more leeway with but if it would risk my current situation, I'd have to say no.
     
    Gaze likes this.
  5. detectivepope

    detectivepope Permanent Fixture

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2010
    Threads:
    11
    Messages:
    912
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    335
    Trophy Points:
    622
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4
    Always at the moment, too many people took liberties which had rendered me semi-dead. Will hopefully go to a happy medium once I am around decent people.
     
    Gaze likes this.
  6. OP
    Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,387
    Messages:
    28,137
    Featured Threads:
    99
    Likes Received:
    21,848
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy

    +1 Yes, I'm just recently realising the importance of putting myself first in some cases. It's unhealthy to try please everyone. They will usually keep taking and taking, leaving you feel empty and unsupported. Some won't like or understand it especially when they've come to depend on you meeting their needs first, but they'll have to understand at some point, that their needs are no more important than yours.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. technics

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Threads:
    96
    Messages:
    999
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    173
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Yes
    Most of my decisions end up in win-win situations. If not, then I almost always put my interests first.
     
    Gaze likes this.
  8. Skarekrow

    Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2012
    Threads:
    105
    Messages:
    18,494
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    35,999
    Trophy Points:
    2,476
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    You must be my evil twin....lol.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Bollington

    Bollington Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Threads:
    2
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    Meh
    :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. This

    Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
    Threads:
    147
    Messages:
    6,575
    Likes Received:
    1,859
    Trophy Points:
    323
    MBTI:
    .
    Enneagram:
    .
    Always

    A starving man cannot help another starving man in quite the same way as a man with a cart full of food can. This is not to say I don't care about others though, it is simply the same reason a parent is told to put the oxygen mask on themselves first in a depressurized airplane cabin.
     
    Gaze likes this.
  11. Sriracha

    Sriracha Not here.
    Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
    Threads:
    98
    Messages:
    3,448
    Likes Received:
    1,913
    Trophy Points:
    375
    MBTI:
    ISFJ
    I'm doing a better job of taking care of myself, but for the most part the needs of the children come first.
     
    Gaze likes this.
  12. invisible

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Threads:
    225
    Messages:
    9,023
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    9,922
    Trophy Points:
    1,329
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Avalon Archipelago
    MBTI:
    none
    in ordinary circumstances there is a happy medium. people dont always need quite as much as it seems, they have their own direction and are happy to go along their own way, and quite understanding when you say no - people who arent drama addicts that is (who i dont have in my life anyway). im finding that as i remain motivated there is plenty of time to get the things done for myself that i need to, and then there is plenty of time remaining for showing others that i care about or support them. people who are constantly feeling drained need to work out why - they are not assertive enough, or have unresolved issues that are absorbing a lot of their energy, or are giving of themselves in inappropriate boundaryless ways, or whatever.
     
  13. storm eyes

    storm eyes Regular Poster

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Threads:
    0
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1
    Usually I have to make sure everybody around me is safe and somewhat secure, recently I was putting me first but it was a struggle emotionally, I felt selfish and that I was acting selfishly, possibly because I was. I just had to reconnect with myself and find a balance which worked with my internal boundaries.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page