How does INFJ leadership manifest? | INFJ Forum

How does INFJ leadership manifest?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16771
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16771

I've been thinking about some of the INFJ descriptors I don't identify with, and that includes: meek, people pleaser, confrontation avoidant, &c. I actually feel quite the opposite, that I'm not easily led, confrontational when it comes to something I believe in, strong willed, &c.

This led me to start thinking of how leadership is manifested in the type, and I'm really curious to hear other experiences and perspectives.

Of course, please humour the seeming lack of modesty here, given what we're talking about. I just want to try to be honest.

Personally, the 'visionary' label is something that rings true based upon how my life has played out. I wonder if others have had similar experiences.

So, rarely have I been in any formal leadership position (not since my late teens really) - the day-to-day, administrative type leadership has never found me. However, I have found that 'movements' seem to grow around me when necessary. I'm talking about the workplace here.

So typically it's been that there's some issue in the workplace between the management and the staff. As someone who routinely speaks out (does the 'outspoken' label resonate with you?) and puts my neck on the like to call out injustice/foolishness, &c., I always seem to be in a visible position when these disputes kick off.

Of course, I try to be professional and tactful when expressing myself, and clear in what I'm objecting to and why.

On several occasions, this has led to people expecting me to speak for them, to give voice to their concerns. When I don't, they've been disappointed, when I do they're grateful.

On a handful of occasions, this has felt like open rebellion when I've challenged the leadership in a forceful way, and been congratulated later by colleagues. In my profession, we have regular staff meetings in a big hall, with the management briefing us (about 50 people in the hall), and this is where it usually happens. Recently, the issues have been serious to people's welfare and have caused great anxiety among the staff, so there's a huge element of 'fighting injustice' in my outspokenness.

Does any of this ring true to you? The sort of 'inspirational leadership' mode, where followers come to you and your example, rather than you being placed in a leadership position by a higher authority (though this happens too).

Now, speculation time (which I encourage you to do as well)...

I wonder if there's a plausible evolutionary explanation as to why the personality types exist, especially with regard to the proper functioning of a preindustrial social group (say, a village).

In our case, the rarity is intriguing: between 1 in 200 and 2 in 100. Considering that the ideal human 'village' would be about 150 people, this would mean that there would be about 3 INFJs in each, or, to put it another way, 1 per generation.

So in my mad speculation, I wonder if the evolutionary 'role' of the INFJ is something like a Shaman or Oracle, or otherwise a high-level advisor to the village/tribal leadership. Normally, we wouldn't be in charge, but there are occasions - highly stressful and uncertain occasions - where visionary leadership is required. These occasions would require ultra idealist, inspirational types with strong convictions and the ability to plan ahead with vision (Ni).

These occasions - say, the tribe needs to migrate, or unite with other tribes - require the Shaman to take full control from the normal, day-to-day chiefs. We saw this with Native American tribes at the end of the 19th century - they came to rely more and more on visionary leadership. Odd or drastic, out of the box solutions to high stress situations.

I wonder if this is the evolutionary reason why our leadership tends to manifest as 'visionary' rather than administrative.

What do you think? Thoughts? Speculations? Experiences?

So in my mad speculation, I wonder if the evolutionary 'role' of the INFJ is something like a Shaman or Oracle, or otherwise a high-level advisor to the village/tribal leadership. Normally, we wouldn't be in charge, but there are occasions - highly stressful and uncertain occasions - where visionary leadership is required. These occasions would require ultra idealist, inspirational types with strong convictions and the ability to plan ahead with vision (Ni).

Yes

Ha! Succinctness is also characteristic of the type apparently...

Cool to be validated, man.

I appreciate the kindness you add in your writing when conversing with people.

Ni doms, both infj and intj very often find themselves (or desiring) gravitating towards not the top position but a position that is a high influencer of the top position. So I feel like your assessment is generally correct.

I appreciate the kindness you add in your writing when conversing with people.

Ni doms, both infj and intj very often find themselves (or desiring) gravitating towards not the top position but a position that is a high influencer of the top position. So I feel like your assessment is generally correct.

I don't want to monopolise your attention here, but I feel like this influencer position is not a 'right-hand man' 'crony' type of role, but something else. Perhaps a 'devil's advocate', 'honest advice' type, who is allowed a certain leeway in how they address the chief. Someone who will, without fail, 'speak truth to power', without a thought of personal gain, and who is more or less tolerated by the leadership for their insights. What do you think?

I don't want to monopolise your attention here, but I feel like this influencer position is not a 'right-hand man' 'crony' type of role, but something else. Perhaps a 'devil's advocate', 'honest advice' type, who is allowed a certain leeway in how they address the chief. Someone who will, without fail, 'speak truth to power', without a thought of personal gain, and who is more or less tolerated by the leadership for their insights. What do you think?

Yeah absolutely. I also wanted to mention the fact that infjs are "catalysts for change." Not sure if you've come across that particular tidbit yet but it also supports what you've outlined.

Reactions: Asa and Sandie33
You've presented this well. I believe appreciation and validation are important when bringing up a thoughtful topic.

I don't know if its necessarily shamanistic/oracle in context amongst the masses...more that an INFJ's ability to balance their logic and emotions during critical situations makes them a "go-to" type person. Also, the uncanny ability the INFJ has to see the "big picture" and come up with a solution(s) to the issue rather quicky. This, coupled with the ability to remove themselves from the situation and find a just and fair solution for all involved creates that perception by others that an INFJ is a good leader. :)

So, rarely have I been in any formal leadership position (not since my late teens really) - the day-to-day, administrative type leadership has never found me. However, I have found that 'movements' seem to grow around me when necessary. I'm talking about the workplace here.

So typically it's been that there's some issue in the workplace between the management and the staff. As someone who routinely speaks out (does the 'outspoken' label resonate with you?) and puts my neck on the like to call out injustice/foolishness, &c., I always seem to be in a visible position when these disputes kick off.

Of course, I try to be professional and tactful when expressing myself, and clear in what I'm objecting to and why.

On several occasions, this has led to people expecting me to speak for them, to give voice to their concerns. When I don't, they've been disappointed, when I do they're grateful.

Interestingly enough, I relate to this role, even as an INTP.

I am known as a pretty outspoken person in the workplace. When bullshit arises, I'm usually one of the first to do something about it, if I determine something constructive can be done. I find a lot of people in my profession (software dev) are extremely passive (we're talking predominantly IxTx types), so people are very grateful when I speak on their behalf.

I was not like this when I entered the workforce at all. I believe my behavior is correlated with my Fe development. I'm able to point out why a certain business process or action is illogical, harmful, better replaced with X, and people really seem to appreciate it in my current position (my last position is another story altogether).

I'm usually not going to fight a battle I know I'm going to lose, though. In those situations, I've advised people to leave the group or done the same myself. At that point, I've hoped that my transparency about why I'm leaving will have some effect... I don't think it usually does, because those situations usually involve a level of unfettered toxicity that management hasn't cared to deal with.

Absolutely. I gravitate toward being the "advisor" type, while another person is "the leader". I don't want to be the leader, nor do I want to be a follower.
A few years ago I realized I had spent my entire life being the person behind the successful person, and had not worked on being successful myself... so that is a word of warning. <3

When I've been in a leadership role, such as manager at a job, I am dedicated and strict about following rules, will take work home with me and do extra without getting paid. I'm careful to work for companies I believe in. If this goes unappreciated for a long time, I will mentally check out. – I have learned to be more balanced about dedication, but that's my natural tendency.

When I've been in a leadership role, such as manager at a job, I am dedicated and strict about following rules, will take work home with me and do extra without getting paid. I'm careful to work for companies I believe in. If this goes unappreciated for a long time, I will mentally check out. – I have learned to be more balanced about dedication, but that's my natural tendency.

Yes this rings true. There are certain things you can say that will almost guarantee to make me/us switch off:

INFJ: 'Why are we doing this?'
Other person: 'Just because. Just do it'
INFJ: Nope

INFJ: 'I don't think I can do this thing, it's too much.'
Other Person: 'You've got to learn to play the game. Think about yourself. Take the shortcuts.'
INFJ: What the hell?

From you guys' responses, it seems that our puritanical nature, or moral certainty/standard, is the thing which gives us leadership influence, but can also make it very difficult to carry on in situations where 'moral flexibility' is required to do well.

I wonder how many of you have had to quit jobs, or think about it, or move on, for essentially moral reasons (even minor ones).

From you guys' responses, it seems that our puritanical nature, or moral certainty/standard, is the thing which gives us leadership influence, but can also make it very difficult to carry on in situations where 'moral flexibility' is required to do well.

I wonder how many of you have had to quit jobs, or think about it, or move on, for essentially moral reasons (even minor ones).

That is true of all things, not just leadership. We can be a bit...errr... square.
Everything has to have a deep meaning, purpose, and is connected to all this other stuff. "Just because," doesn't sit well with us. There is always a "because".

These occasions - say, the tribe needs to migrate, or unite with other tribes - require the Shaman to take full control from the normal, day-to-day chiefs. We saw this with Native American tribes at the end of the 19th century - they came to rely more and more on visionary leadership. Odd or drastic, out of the box solutions to high stress situations.

I wonder if this is the evolutionary reason why our leadership tends to manifest as 'visionary' rather than administrative.

I completely agree.

The great majority of people, both historically speaking and in the modern day, are not visionary in their thinking. Even most "strategic" leaders build their long-term planning on a foundation of "what has worked (Si) in the most demonstrably efficient and effective manner (Te)." It takes a different sort of thinking to clearly conceive of future outcomes and lead others with conviction toward the best one.

An INFJ's talents would be utterly wasted in a purely administrative role. I see how they could find it extremely frustrating and tedious.

Quit? I won't even start hahahahaha :backaway:

An INFJ's talents would be utterly wasted in a purely administrative role. I see how they could find it extremely frustrating and tedious.

:thinkinghard:

Me:
ad-huge-mistake-8.gif