how do you relax? | INFJ Forum

how do you relax?

Mike S

Jul 15, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
I have a very difficult time focusing one on project. I have many different projects going at one time and you can find me working on any of them very randomly. I am somewhat of a perfectionist but not as OCD as I used to be. The difficulty arises each day when I know I have stuff to do but I don't know how or where to begin. I grew up smoking weed with friends and also found it a great way to keep my thoughts in order. Marijuana would slow down my mind enough for me to focus on one project at a time. Well, my job does random drug tests so I had to give that up about 15 years ago. We recently got medical marijuana in our state, but its still illegal for my job. Even so, I got a script and started taking drops. I now find myself enjoying life again. For years I couldn't do anything social, I felt paralyzed (still not social but not as bad as before). Marijuana has helped me regain control and focus. I can relax mentally now. The job i work in is high stress and I have developed bad anxiety and ptsd from it. The career I picked is not ideal for an INFJ and I realize that now. I feel marijuana has freed me to enjoy my hobbies again and don't know what I would do without it. My anxiety is a small fraction of what it use to be. I don't like taking pills as they always have possible suicidal side effects amongst other problems. What do you when your overwhelmed?

The only way I can consistently relax is walking or hiking. I drink alcohol to temporarily relax but it will consistently just give me more anxiety. I also take small doses of Psilocybin to center me. If you push yourself with exercise your mind will become dopey as well. Another one that work for me is when I take a pen or pencil. I then draw random dots and I connect them, it completely zones me out. True zen for me is nature/total isolation from society, for a short while. Do you have hobbies?

Get a new job. I really doubt marijuana is doing you any good in the long run. If you have been smoking a lot as a kid, there's no wonder you can't handle stress too well now. You will need many years to handle all the things marijuana took care of for you.

Confront life.

Stress signals are useful and are trying to tell you something.

You're self-medicating.

If you're hungry, you don't try to take a pill to suppress the appetite. You just eat. If you're tired, you shouldn't take a pill to suppress the sleepiness, you should sleep.

There are healthy and unhealthy ways to enjoy everything. In your case, it seems as if you're using weed to suppress a natural signal your body is sending in order to try to help you survive and thrive.

Infjente is right, you should probably tackle the root cause of the problem, which is your job.