[INFJ] - how do infjs experience emotion? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] how do infjs experience emotion?

chad

Regular Poster
Feb 4, 2015
MBTI
infp
how do you infjs experince emotion?,not just from people eg looking at nature or a beautiful work of art?,i heard that infjs can almost become one with the object and overflow with that emotion,dont answer me on any socail cues or why i asked this just answer onjectivly by how you experince it?

how do you infjs experince emotion?,not just from people eg looking at nature or a beautiful work of art?,i heard that infjs can almost become one with the object and overflow with that emotion,dont answer me on any socail cues or why i asked this just answer onjectivly by how you experince it?
@Offline i'm so sorry I mocked your punctuation... I never knew something like this could exist... the horror...

Isn't there already a thread for this exact thing?

Think of it this way, when you watch a movie and you cry why do you cry? Usually it's because you understand someone's pain. I'd say an INFJ probably feels that even more.

Well, I think emotion is rather a complex thing. I would also say that there is a difference between basic emotions (like anger, pain, jealousy, gratitude, happiness, and so on), which usually stem from our relationships to other people; and, on the other hand, aesthetic feeling or artistic emotion, which is what you experience when you look at a beautiful work of art or appreciate the narrative construction and cinematography in a film, or a beautiful line of poetry, or even a philosophical idea or scientific theory.

The reason I make this distinction is that, although I can't speak for other INFJs, I am certainly much more comfortable with aesthetic emotion, and value it more highly. I also think that aesthetic emotion transcends and sublimates basic emotion, and thus justifies the suffering of life, because it is only out of the experience of suffering that aesthetic emotions are forged - which is to say, the base metals of basic emotion are alchemically transformed into the gold of aesthetic emotion.

My most elevated emotions come from a perception of the beauty and poignancy of life, and it's spiritual significance, and I regard the pursuit of these elevated emotions as the highest aim of existence, and the true path to truth and beauty.

I am also susceptible to becoming mired in the negativity of my own basic emotions at times, like a fly in a spider's web, and am very easily disturbed and upset my other people's negative emotions. In fact I feel quite incompetent when it comes to dealing with other people's emotions especially.

But perhaps this particular view of emotion has more to do with being an enneagram type 4 than with being an INFJ, I'm not sure.

I am certainly much more comfortable with aesthetic emotion, and value it more highly.
True. In some people it needs to be awakened, because without some knowledge about particulars, it may be dulled. Maybe it's got to do with me being a 1, though.

But perhaps this particular view of emotion has more to do with being an enneagram type 4 than with being an INFJ, I'm not sure.
Or perhaps both, idk, I am not a dominant 4.

Reactions: Icedream

INFJs see the world in Archetypes. They are sceptics (philosophical definition) that don’t believe things until they experience them.

They’ll group objects by sensory information and emotions attached to them.

An INFJ will read the intention of art like they can read people.

An INFJ will look at an object and see everything that object represents as a single entity that can shape shift and cover a wide range of emotional and sensory forms.

Extremely sentimental. They are given to bouts of mania and depression when they haven’t had enough downtime, change environments, or are put down for their awkward personality.

A less developed INFJ will be extremely sensitive to criticism until they have enough experience to trust their unique worldview.

An INFJ feels vulnerable and helpless in over-stimulating environments.

An INFJ recharges with a small group of individuals they have chosen.

@Offline i'm so sorry I mocked your punctuation... I never knew something like this could exist... the horror...

I agree.

You put it beautifully when you mention "becoming one" with the object of contemplation.

I go deep into an artistic work, especially literature, to the point where I have an experience of listening to the articulated thoughts and emotions of the creator at the time they created the work, almost as though I'm having a conversation with that person.

Isn't there already a thread for this exact thing?

It's good to keep topics together, but sometimes it's good to have a completely fresh start as well. It means that the discussion is like a blank slate and can take new directions, and it means that people who participated on the previous topic can maybe experience and contribute new or different insights.

Reactions: Icedream
Fair enough. that's a good thing to understand

I can't speak for other INFJs, I am certainly much more comfortable with aesthetic emotion, and value it more highly.

This. I live in Alaska, so haven’t traveled much. Went to NY, barely got into the Met before it closed, looked at Van Gogh’s ‘White Roses’ and cried.

But I don’t have feelies. I refuse.

Reactions: Ginny and Icedream
I don't know if I am an INFJ, but I am a 4w5. That said, I just start crying or feeling some kind of profound emotion triggered from watching a scene in a movie or a piece of art. Sometimes there is some profound thought to go along with it. That's followed by a "what the heck" type thought loop trying to reign in my emotions and figure out what just happened/triggered the crying process. Depending on my mood and the situation, then I try to figure out how to stop it. If it is a public space, my focus is to internalize the emotion, not externalize it. But I have very little outward control, so it seems the more peaceful response is to just let the crying happen and focus on the thoughts generated from it, or at least the more positive thoughts from my internal dialogue. If that fails, then seek out a distraction/ walk away.