How can education hurt or help intuition? | INFJ Forum

How can education hurt or help intuition?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Not sure if topic has been posted before. Forgive me if it was. But here goes:

I've wondered about this for a while - the relationship between traditional schooling and intuition, meaning how it helps to develop intuitive capacities, or dull intuitive abilities.

I ask this question because I've noticed that much of higher education has not really provided too many opportunities to develop those skills (of course, the goal of HE is not to do so), but it would be good for college coursework to encourage and help someone develop those abilities if they have them. Now, I value my undergraduate and graduate education, but when intuitive abilities such as we have (not psychic or empathic abilities) are not recognized, appreciated for their unique insight, or developed, because of the focus on "book learnin'" (without diminishing the importance and value of the other proficiencies of course), then the "intuitive" senses are often dulled once you leave the academy. Instead, you learn to value insight in others as if it all that's known is all that can be known and new insights are not possible if they can't fit into the existing theories, or you learn to value the work of previous and highly respected theorists, or learn how to reproduce someone else's thoughts and ideas, just to be considered smart, knowledgeable, or competent.

Also, how can intuition be developed in the college classroom in preparation for the real world?

Feel free to challenge my assumptions (diplomatically).

So, what do you think? (Question is open)

Last edited:
i'm taking a cultural anthropology course in university and i've found that because it focuses on holistic ways of thought, on integrating many different perspectives in the process of distilling theories and acknowledging the significance of different realities pertaining to different societies around the world, it actually is a good course where Ni can be exercised. i don't rememeber which theorist said this, but its essence is to 'make the familiar strange, and the strange familiar.' by drawing parallels between other cultures with our own, i've had a few aha moments where i've actually been somewhat startled into seeing something i've been so accustomed to, in a different light.

i'm taking a cultural anthropology course in university and i've found that because it focuses on holistic ways of thought, on integrating many different perspectives in the process of distilling theories and acknowledging the significance of different realities pertaining to different societies around the world, it actually is a good course where Ni can be exercised. i don't rememeber which theorist said this, but its essence is to 'make the familiar strange, and the strange familiar.' by drawing parallels between other cultures with our own, i've had a few aha moments where i've actually been somewhat startled into seeing something i've been so accustomed to, in a different light.

yeah, sounds like it worked. Maybe holistic ways of thought can be incorporated more in the classroom in other humanities subjects.

Last edited: