Houthi Rebels Must Be Smoking Some Dangerous Dope | INFJ Forum

Houthi Rebels Must Be Smoking Some Dangerous Dope

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
Can't understand it. What is it?
"Let's shoot at ships as they pass by."?
"Let's stand up against Israel and try to destroy their ships."?

"OOOps, that one was from another country."

We're not going to simply shoot at each other in the skies. There will be bombs on the grounds going off in Yemen, and not soon enough. Let us see how quickly our new friends can get them there, along with everything else needed to shut them up. They do not own the waters or the land underneath them: That belongs to God and everyone else's to use. It is meant for everyone's benefits and nobody's greed. Let's get things moving. We'll call this change number one from yesterday. There are trained men standing by. Save yours for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadowblade
Maersk has already rerouted around the cape. Consider what they seek to disrupt.

The only thing said rebels are smoking is our economy and political capital regionally, and worldwide.

Part of the world cop promise was international commerce by sea. Weʼve been called out, and oops, discovered with our pants around our ankles.

Remember, thereʼs nothing more dangerous than a person with nothing left to lose, especially if they believe in some flavor of Abrahamic monotheism.

Cheers,
Ian

Yemen has been in a horrible civil war for a decade, which has reduced the population to poverty. It boggles my mind, that one of the factions (Houthis) would be taking potshots at passersby. Even though the Houthis are clients of Iran, I'd expect some semblance of human compassion for their people, but it just looks like suicide by world police to me.

Hopefully, if the Houthis manage to draw Yemen into a broader conflict, that they get their clocks cleaned so that ordinary Yemenis can try to put their country back together.

Basically just Russia-Iran shenanigans to create global destabilization.
Houthis are just pawns.

Houthi rebels have their and their loved ones' lives to lose. They would not have a shot at a vessel of mine, let alone a warship. How many missiles and such have they fired across international properties already. This isn't just about disrupting shipping. They are firing at Israel. How many have we shot down? Rather, at what cost? There is a much cheaper way to handle this, and it will not be pretty. This is their own choice if they do not stand down.

Basically just Russia-Iran shenanigans to create global destabilization.
Houthis are just pawns.
Just Russia and Iran? You are too generous, yote.
the grinch waiting GIF
These guys are disrupting my shenanigans.

Reactions: aeon
Houthi rebels have their and their loved ones' lives to lose.
They donʼt care, because of the promise.

For example, my Christian neighbor here says he would be happy to be falsely sentenced to death if it guaranteed a guilty man would also be put to death.

No, not all Christians think or feel as such. I mention it only to show what faith can do.

When the promise is beyond measure, some take it to mean their life is worth 2¢, and they welcome death as a release from this wicked world (his description).

Cheers,
Ian

You may have left out a vast array of what faith can do. There is at least an entire chapter of what faith has allowed. I feel it coming on. Quote, please.
If you are only talking about a wicked world, I haven't indulged in Greek for many years to check the exact usage of the text. People in this world make it wicked(not all people, not most people, but certainly some people at times). No need to try to quote that.

Seems there is a story of a woman giving her only 2 cents as an offering. Being it was all she had, it was a better offering than anyone else's. That two cents meant a lot to her, but it meant more to her to give it away.
Two cents can be a great moral fiber. It is more blessed to give than to receive. I would like to add one of my translations, that to give brings upon oneself far more than to receive.

Saddam Hussein paid Palestinians to send their own children near Israelis with a belt bomb on, knowing they would die. There are great differences in promises and gifts to mankind. Some see the realities of the promises, while others see hatred as a generator for seeking promises. I don't recall reading to use hatred as an excuse to seek promises.

Last edited:
You may have left out a vast array of what faith can do. There is at least an entire chapter of what faith has allowed. I feel it coming on. Quote, please.
Oh, of course. No single post, or 1000 posts could encapsulate that vast array.

I mentioned what I did because of the context, and because it is my closest, most direct experience of another human being who claims to have faith.

Cheers,
Ian

15 to 20 years is but a wee bit to have been talking with me. I am truly sorry you had a bad experience with someone stating to be Christian with faith. I, too, have had bad exchanges of life with some called Christians with faith.
A few exchanges are still with me. Not many men of this earth are perfect, as I say things I shouldn't and do things others would not understand.

To be fair, Iʼm not bothered when he tells me that I will burn in hell for all eternity. Thatʼs his opinion and none of my business.

I mean, overall, I do enjoy his company and consider him a friend.

I suppose if I had faith I might think or feel one way or another about being told such a thing, but I do not, so I shrug my shoulders.

Cheers,
Ian

Fire and brimstone preaching.

God is love. Our actions show love to others better than words a lot of times, and I guess vice versa. I've never been in this for rewards. Going to Heaven or Hell has been used through the centuries. I was baptized into Christ at the age of twelve because I understood how much better life could and would be with the mind of Christ. I did not "join" a church because of the promises, so to speak. I wanted to be like Him. I wanted to be able to help others like Him. Studying the Bible helps one to better understand the words used and why. When discussing these things with others that seem open to hearing, I go to the words...sorry, had to search for them.....
Romans Chapter 14. This is where God shared with me how simple things are for us. It also states a need for us to be fully persuaded.

from King James Bible Online, copied

2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

aeon, I know we are different in many ways. There is nothing wrong with another person "warning" someone in their own way trying to help them. Some warnings may sound like threats to others, maybe not everyone.
Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. Hence, your choice.

Last edited:
I know he says what he does out of genuine concern as he sees, understands, and believes. As such, I feel no threat, or real judgment from him.

I am not of faith, so I accept him as he is. I feel no need to reject or defend.

Cheers,
Ian

This is good, aeon. How can we get the world to understand each other as well as that?

How can we get the world to understand each other as well as that?
I have no idea, and Iʼm dissuaded from thinking about it because my sense is that most folks are not interested in doing so.

Cheers,
Ian

I hear Saudi Arabia and UAE both have different wishes to clear the shipping lanes, but there is now an eight nation group purposed with stopping this. Hopefully, UAE and Saudi Arabia will bring some of their proximity wisdom to the table to help stop this. Unfortunately, economies will be affected by their actions so it must be stopped. "They" do not want the West over there, but must admit to inviting us there. Some in the world seek stability. It seems some just want to destroy economies. There seems to be no religious parity in the world. People believe in what they believe in. The way I believe things are spelled out in Matthew

copied Bible Gateway

Matthew 25:31-46​

King James Version​

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

The way I read this depends on what I am looking for. I am not looking to claim righteousness tonight right now, and I am not seeking destruction at this moment.
I see the nations of this world having two major differences in their types of spirits and actions toward others. Those called righteous are called thus because of helping others, even to the point of giving of their time.
They don't want to take credit for it because they have no remembrance of helping the King. The King once said, "Feed My sheep". That has become even more clear to them now. We are like the sheep of His pasture. Verse 40 sums it up for them...for all of them.

Those he called the cursed He sends somewhere else prepared for those who warred against Him and His angels. What about life eternal vs everlasting punishment? These are being judged by their hearts. Actions are caused or denied from the heart of man.

Ask yourselves a question, you other religions out there: Does your inner spirit want to help others? Does your religion tell you to help others, only to teach you to kill others and cause problems for others? Why is there so much hatred against Jewish folk and Christians? Is Islam truly your answer? A man's biggest enemies are the members of their own household. Would Abraham want to see all three of these large groups of his blood infighting enough to destroy the world or the people in it? We all claim Abraham, but do we show it? Maybe there were three Abrahams? No. We are being, in many ways, taught to hate and fight multitudes and do not even understand why. Religious beliefs as a war tool; is this what you really want? Let every man be fully persuaded in his own heart, because things will be changed when the King comes.

The choice is ours. You want to fight? Can't stop fighting? I want to end this fighting. Look around you in the Universe as you know it. Do you really think all your WMDs will be useful when the Son of Man is revealed?

For those who do not believe there is a God: shame you can't help with the changes.

Edit to say there are now over 20 nations, upgraded from eight, as of now.

Last edited:
Associated Press

US, British militaries launch massive retaliatory strike against Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen​

LOLITA C. BALDOR and TARA COPP
Updated Thu, January 11, 2024 at 8:53 PM EST·7 min read

In this image provided by the U.S. Navy, the amphibious dock landing ship USS Carter Hall and amphibious assault ship USS Bataan transit the Bab al-Mandeb strait on Aug. 9, 2023. The top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East says Yemen’s Houthi rebels are showing no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea. But Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview on Saturday that more nations are joining the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic is beginning to pick up. (Mass Communications Spc. 2nd Class Moises Sandoval/U.S. Navy via AP)

FILE - Britain's Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, left, and U.S. President Joe Biden speak at the start of the meeting of the North Atlantic Council (NAC) during the NATO Summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, July 11, 2023. U.S. and British militaries are bombing more than a dozen sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen, in a massive retaliatory strike using warship-launched Tomahawk missiles. (Paul Ellis/Pool Photo via AP, File)

1 / 3

United States Red Sea Attacks​

In this image provided by the U.S. Navy, the amphibious dock landing ship USS Carter Hall and amphibious assault ship USS Bataan transit the Bab al-Mandeb strait on Aug. 9, 2023. The top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East says Yemen’s Houthi rebels are showing no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea. But Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview on Saturday that more nations are joining the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic is beginning to pick up. (Mass Communications Spc. 2nd Class Moises Sandoval/U.S. Navy via AP)
ASSOCIATED PRESS
More
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. and British militaries bombed more than a dozen sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen on Thursday, in a massive retaliatory strike using warship- and submarine-launched Tomahawk missiles and fighter jets, U.S. officials said. The military targets included logistical hubs, air defense systems and weapons storage and launching locations, they said.
President Joe Biden said the strikes were meant to demonstrate that the U.S. and its allies “will not tolerate” the militant group’s ceaseless attacks on the Red Sea. And he said they only made the move after attempts at diplomatic negotiations and careful deliberation.
“These strikes are in direct response to unprecedented Houthi attacks against international maritime vessels in the Red Sea — including the use of anti-ship ballistic missiles for the first time in history,” Biden said in a statement. He noted the attacks endangered U.S. personnel, civilian mariners and jeopardized trade, and he added, “I will not hesitate to direct further measures to protect our people and the free flow of international commerce as necessary.”

Associated Press journalists in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, heard four explosions early Friday local time. Two residents of Hodieda, Amin Ali Saleh and Hani Ahmed, said they heard five strong explosions hitting the western port area of the city, which lies on the Red Sea and is the largest port city controlled by the Houthis. Explosions also were heard by residents of Taiz, a southwestern city near the Red Sea.
The strikes marked the first U.S. military response to what has been a persistent campaign of drone and missile attacks on commercial ships since the start of the Israel-Hamas war. And the coordinated military assault comes just a week after the White House and a host of partner nations issued a final warning to the Houthis to cease the attacks or face potential military action. The officials described the strikes on condition of anonymity to discuss military operations. Members of Congress were briefed earlier Thursday on the strike plans.
The warning appeared to have had at least some short-lived impact, as attacks stopped for several days. On Tuesday, however, the Houthi rebels fired their largest-ever barrage of drones and missiles targeting shipping in the Red Sea, with U.S. and British ships and American fighter jets responding by shooting down 18 drones, two cruise missiles and an anti-ship missile. And on Thursday, the Houthis fired an anti-ship ballistic missile into the Gulf of Aden, which was seen by a commercial ship but did not hit the ship.
In a call with reporters, senior administration and military officials said that after the Tuesday attacks, Biden convened his national security team and was presented with military options for a response. He then directed Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin to carry out the retaliatory strikes.
In a separate statement, U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the Royal Air Force carried out targeted strikes against military facilities used by the Houthis. The Defense Ministry said four fighter jets based in Cyprus took part in the strikes.
Noting the militants have carried out a series of dangerous attacks on shipping, he added, “This cannot stand. He said the U.K. took “limited, necessary and proportionate action in self-defense, alongside the United States with non-operational support from the Netherlands, Canada and Bahrain against targets tied to these attacks, to degrade Houthi military capabilities and protect global shipping.”
And the governments of Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand and South Korea joined the U.S. and U.K. in issuing a statement saying that while the aim is to de-escalate tensions and restore stability in the Red Sea, the allies won't hesitate to defend lives and protect commerce in the critical waterway.
The rebels, who have carried out 27 attacks involving dozens of drones and missiles just since Nov. 19, had warned that any attack by American forces on its sites in Yemen will spark a fierce military response.
A high-ranking Houthi official, Ali al-Qahoum, vowed there would be retaliation. “The battle will be bigger…. and beyond the imagination and expectation of the Americans and the British," he said in a post on X.
Al-Masirah, a Houthi-run satellite news channel, described strikes hitting the Al-Dailami Air Base north of Sanaa, the airport in the port city of the Hodeida, a camp east of Saada, the airport in the city of Taiz and an airport near Hajjah. And eyewitnesses who spoke with The Associated Press said they saw strikes in four areas, including Dhamar, Hodeida, Sanaa and Taiz.
The Houthis did not immediately offer any damage or casualty information.
A senior administration official said that while the U.S. expects the strikes will degrade the Houthi's capabilities, “we would not be surprised to see some sort of response,” although they haven't seen anything yet.
The Houthis say their assaults are aimed at stopping Israel’s war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip. But their targets increasingly have little or no connection to Israel and imperil a crucial trade route linking Asia and the Middle East with Europe.
Meanwhile, the U.N. Security Council passed a resolution Wednesday that demanded the Houthis immediately cease the attacks and implicitly condemned their weapons supplier, Iran. It was approved by a vote of 11-0 with four abstentions — by Russia, China, Algeria and Mozambique.
Britain’s participation in the strikes underscored the Biden administration’s effort to use a broad international coalition to battle the Houthis, rather than appear to be going it alone. More than 20 nations are already participating in a U.S.-led maritime mission to increase ship protection in the Red Sea.
U.S. officials for weeks had declined to signal when international patience would run out and they would strike back at the Houthis, even as multiple commercial vessels were struck by missiles and drones, prompting companies to look at rerouting their ships.
On Wednesday, however, U.S. officials again warned of consequences.
“I’m not going to telegraph or preview anything that might happen,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken told reporters during a stop in Bahrain. He said the U.S. has made clear “that if this continues as it did yesterday, there will be consequences. And I’m going to leave it at that.”
The Biden administration’s reluctance over the past several months to retaliate reflected political sensitivities and stemmed largely from broader worries about upending the shaky truce in Yemen and triggering a wider conflict in the region. The White House wants to preserve the truce and has been wary of taking action in Yemen that could open up another war front.
The impact on international shipping and the escalating attacks, however, triggered the coalition warning, which was signed by the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore and the United Kingdom. Separately, the U.S. called on the United Nations Security Council to take action against the Houthis and warned their financier Iran that it has a choice to make about continuing to provide support to the rebels.
Transit through the Red Sea, from the Suez Canal to the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, is a crucial shipping lane for global commerce. About 12% of the world’s trade typically passes through the waterway that separates Africa and the Arabian Peninsula, including oil, natural gas, grain and everything from toys to electronics.
In response to the attacks, the U.S. created a new maritime security mission, dubbed Operation Prosperity Guardian, to increase security in the Red Sea, Bab el-Mandeb Strait and the Gulf of Aden, with about 22 countries are participating. U.S. warships, and those from other nations, have been routinely sailing back and forth through the narrow strait to provide protection for ships and to deter attacks. The coalition has also ramped up airborne surveillance.
The decision to set up the expanded patrol operation came after three commercial vessels were struck by missiles fired by Houthis in Yemen on Dec. 3.
The Pentagon increased its military presence in the region after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel to deter Iran from widening the war into a regional conflict, including by the Houthis and Iran-backed militias in Iraq and Syria.
____
Associated Press writers Ahmed al-Haj in Sanaa, Yemen; Jack Jeffery in London; Jon Gambrell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; and Zeke Miller and Seung Min Kim in Washington contributed to this report.
View comments (5.9k)

AP, copied
Story by By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press Jan 11, 2024

UBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Iran's navy captured an oil tanker Thursday in the Gulf of Oman that only months earlier had seen its cargo of Iranian oil seized by the United States over sanctions linked to Tehran's nuclear program, further escalating the tensions gripping the Mideast's waterways.

The vessel was previously known as the Suez Rajan when it was involved in a yearlong dispute beginning in 2021 that ultimately saw the U.S. Justice Department take the 1 million barrels of Iranian crude oil on it.

The seizure also comes after weeks of attacks by Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi rebels on shipping in the Red Sea, including their largest barrage ever of drones and missiles launched late Tuesday. U.S.-led forces launched retaliatory strikes early Friday.

Iran's state-run television acknowledged the seizure late Thursday afternoon, hours after armed men boarded it, linking it to the earlier oil seizure. It said Iran's navy, rather than its paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, conducted the seizure. Past tense incidents at sea have largely involved the Guard.

The Iranian navy's “seizure of the oil tanker does not constitute hijacking; rather, it is a lawful undertaking sanctioned by a court order and corresponds to the theft of Iran’s very own oil,” Iran's mission to the United Nations told The Associated Press in a statement. "Adhering to the established legal procedures is the most prudent approach for the resolution of this matter.”

The St. Nikolas was earlier named the Suez Rajan, associated with the Greek shipping company Empire Navigation. In a statement to the AP, Athens-based Empire Navigation acknowledged losing contact with the vessel, which has a crew of 18 Filipinos and one Greek national.

“Empire have no such knowledge of a court order or the Iranian navy having seized their vessel, and have still not been contacted by anyone,” the company said.

The British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, which provides warnings to sailors in the Middle East, said Thursday's seizure began early in the morning in the waters between Oman and Iran in an area transited by ships coming in and out of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of all traded oil passes.

The U.K. military-run group described receiving a report from the ship's security manager of hearing “unknown voices over the phone” alongside with the ship's captain. It said further efforts to contact the ship had failed and that the men who boarded the vessel wore "black military-style uniforms with black masks."

The private security firm Ambrey said that “four to five armed persons” boarded the ship, which it identified as the oil tanker St. Nikolas. It said the men covered the surveillance cameras as they boarded.

The tanker had been off the city of Basra, Iraq, loading crude oil bound for Aliaga, Turkey, for the Turkish refinery firm Tupras. Satellite-tracking data analyzed by the AP last showed the Marshall Islands-flagged tanker had turned and headed toward the port of Bandar-e Jask in Iran.

Attention began focusing on the Suez Rajan in February 2022, when the group United Against Nuclear Iran said it suspected the tanker carried oil from Iran’s Khargh Island, its main oil distribution terminal in the Persian Gulf. Satellite photos and shipping data analyzed at the time by the AP supported the allegation.

For months, the ship sat in the South China Sea off the northeast coast of Singapore before suddenly sailing for the Texas coast without explanation. The vessel discharged its cargo to another tanker in August, which released its oil in Houston as part of a Justice Department order.

In September, Empire Navigation pleaded guilty to smuggling sanctioned Iranian crude oil and agreed to pay a $2.4 million fine over a case involving the tanker.

From Washington, State Department spokesperson Vedant Patel condemned Iran's seizure of the vessel.

“The Iranian government must immediately release the ship and its crew,” Patel said. “This unlawful seizure of a commercial vessel is just the latest behavior by Iran – or enabled by Iran – aimed at disrupting international commerce.”

After the vessel, then-Suez Rajan, headed for America, Iran seized two tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, including one with cargo for major U.S. oil company Chevron Corp. In July, the top commander of the Revolutionary Guard’s naval arm threatened further action against anyone offloading the Suez Rajan, with state media linking the recent seizures to the cargo’s fate.

Since the collapse of Iran's nuclear deal, waters around the strait have seen a series of ship seizures by Iran, as well as assaults targeting shipping that the U.S. Navy has blamed on Tehran. Iran and the Navy also have had a series of tense encounters in the waterway, though recent attention has been focused on the Houthi attacks on ships in the Red Sea.

The U.S. and its allies also have been seizing Iranian oil cargoes since 2019 to enforce sanctions over the Islamic Republic's nuclear program. That has led to a series of attacks in the Mideast attributed to the Islamic Republic, as well as ship seizures by Iranian military and paramilitary forces that threaten global shipping.

The Houthis say their attacks are aimed at halting the suffering of Palestinians in Israel's war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip. However, the rebels have increasingly targeted ships with tenuous or no ties to Israel.

Meanwhile, satellite tracking data analyzed by the AP on Thursday showed that an Iranian cargo vessel suspected of being a spying platform in the Red Sea had left the waterway. The data showed the Behshad had transited through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait into the Gulf of Aden.

The Behshad has been in the Red Sea since 2021 off Eritrea’s Dahlak archipelago. It arrived there after Iran removed the Saviz, another suspected spy base in the Red Sea that had suffered damage in an attack that analysts attributed to Israel amid a wider shadow war of ship attacks in the region.

___

Associated Press journalist Amir Vahdat in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, contributed to this report.