Homeschooling | INFJ Forum

Homeschooling

• Thread starter Deleted member 12009
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12009

How do you feel about homeschooling - is it good or bad? Upsides//downsides? Way to protect your kids from harm, or perfect method to ruin your kid's social and mental development? Good way to transmit your family values to your child and safeguard him/her from bad influences at school? Or good way to create a socially inept kid who's completely disconnected from the world outside his/her neighborhood? What do you think?

I think its bad. Even though I am an introvert there is a socialization factor that needs to introduced at an early age. Much lke a cat if you do not do this to them as a kitten they end up being feral.

So, have them go to public school but be sure to unbrainwash them at the end of the day from all of the incorrect liberal ideals and lies tbey will inherently be injected with within the public school system.

100% FOR Homeschooling.

I don't agree with a lot of the way that schooling is right now. I have friends my age who are teachers and the generation below us is just out of fucking control. The stories my friends tell me is just insane. One had a student come up and CUT HER HAIR OFF. There is next to no punishment for these kids, the parents are not very involved and now that no kid is left behind you get so many children packed into one classroom at such a wide variety of learning levels that it's so hard to give students the kind of education they are meant to be receiving. We talk about it all the time, and though we were both born in the 80's not TOOOOOOO long ago, we could never conceive of getting away with any of that behaviour - not at school, not at home - and that goes for all of the people we know our age. Even in high school people were very well behaved and things were quite different.

I think that people get scared of home schooling because it's sometimes attributed to children being unsocialized or part of some religious cult. My idea of homeschooling looks very different. If I ever have children (I won't) I would want them to be kids. I want them to play. I want them to learn about the world through first hand experience and not from a page in a text book. I want them to have knowledge, but I want them to know how to apply it in the real world. I want to teach them life skills like how to budget, how to cook, what it looks like to live a day to day life. I don't want their entire day to be taken up by education. I want to encourage a joy in learning, I want them to feel rewarded for really hard work, for learning new concepts and for applying them to life.

I would want to take them volunteering, traveling, etc. I would want them to see how the world is through various little field trips. I do want them to have formal knowledge in math, science, writing, etc but I want them to live and understand the world as it is and not through such rigid and structured methods you see in classrooms.

I think it's exceptionally important for children to be among their peers and so that's where after school classes, sports teams, etc come in. I would want my children to engage in these things freely and have the opportunity to understand how it feels to be part of a team, part of a group, to make friendships with varying children without the structure of school. This is where even more play comes in. I want them to have fun, I want them to understand how to operate with a group and in a classroom setting but while doing something that's FUN, that's enriching to their soul and spirit, that gets them physically active and gets them some more external validation and drive to really accomplish goals in things they are passionate about. I don't care what kind of club they want to be in: dance, drama, art, green clubs, something science-y, sporty, music, whatever. The point is, my kid(s) would be actively involved in their community and have tons of play time and they'd be able to do it without having been stuck in a seat at a desk and having the soul sucked out of them all day.

So, that is my "ideal" for home schooling. I have read some really beautiful stories of people who have raised their kids this way and it seems amazing. C and I have agreed our children would absolutely be home schooled if we had them and are very on the same page about how that would be handled. This is what we would want for our family. I could not see it any other way.

Reactions: jyrffw54
100% FOR Homeschooling.

I don't agree with a lot of the way that schooling is right now. I have friends my age who are teachers and the generation below us is just out of fucking control. The stories my friends tell me is just insane. One had a student come up and CUT HER HAIR OFF. There is next to no punishment for these kids, the parents are not very involved and now that no kid is left behind you get so many children packed into one classroom at such a wide variety of learning levels that it's so hard to give students the kind of education they are meant to be receiving. We talk about it all the time, and though we were both born in the 80's not TOOOOOOO long ago, we could never conceive of getting away with any of that behaviour - not at school, not at home - and that goes for all of the people we know our age. Even in high school people were very well behaved and things were quite different.

I think that people get scared of home schooling because it's sometimes attributed to children being unsocialized or part of some religious cult. My idea of homeschooling looks very different. If I ever have children (I won't) I would want them to be kids. I want them to play. I want them to learn about the world through first hand experience and not from a page in a text book. I want them to have knowledge, but I want them to know how to apply it in the real world. I want to teach them life skills like how to budget, how to cook, what it looks like to live a day to day life. I don't want their entire day to be taken up by education. I want to encourage a joy in learning, I want them to feel rewarded for really hard work, for learning new concepts and for applying them to life.

I would want to take them volunteering, traveling, etc. I would want them to see how the world is through various little field trips. I do want them to have formal knowledge in math, science, writing, etc but I want them to live and understand the world as it is and not through such rigid and structured methods you see in classrooms.

I think it's exceptionally important for children to be among their peers and so that's where after school classes, sports teams, etc come in. I would want my children to engage in these things freely and have the opportunity to understand how it feels to be part of a team, part of a group, to make friendships with varying children without the structure of school. This is where even more play comes in. I want them to have fun, I want them to understand how to operate with a group and in a classroom setting but while doing something that's FUN, that's enriching to their soul and spirit, that gets them physically active and gets them some more external validation and drive to really accomplish goals in things they are passionate about. I don't care what kind of club they want to be in: dance, drama, art, green clubs, something science-y, sporty, music, whatever. The point is, my kid(s) would be actively involved in their community and have tons of play time and they'd be able to do it without having been stuck in a seat at a desk and having the soul sucked out of them all day.

So, that is my "ideal" for home schooling. I have read some really beautiful stories of people who have raised their kids this way and it seems amazing. C and I have agreed our children would absolutely be home schooled if we had them and are very on the same page about how that would be handled. This is what we would want for our family. I could not see it any other way.

You are a responsible adult. What of the many others who want to home school say...so that they can instill their ideas of a perfect world I to tbeir children? Yes our educational system is not doing well thanks to an overly PC atmosphere. I dont think sending little Billy home to be home schooled by a parent who themselves never made it past the 8th grade is the answer though.

You are a responsible adult. What of the many others who want to home school say...so that they can instill their ideas of a perfect world I to tbeir children? Yes our educational system is not doing well thanks to an overly PC atmosphere. I dont think sending little Billy home to be home schooled by a parent who themselves never made it past the 8th grade is the answer though.

I never said it was the answer. This is up to personal preference. I don't really care about what other parents are doing with their kids as it has nothing to do with me. But I know what I would want for myself and my children.

There are SOME standards that need to be met for children who are homeschooled. They do have to pass tests and show competency. I don't expect everyone to be a responsible adult. Some people are shitty ass parents even if their kids are in school and not homeschooled. I don't want to debate parenting skills, I am just sharing my perspective on the matter based on what I would enforce in my own life.

Homeschooling is bad. It is 90% idiot parents passing their idiotude to their kids.

It depends on the situation. One of the children I work with is being homeschooled through virtual school and his father's extensive knowledge of the sciences, history, and mathematics. Because he has a developmental disorder that the schools in his area are not prepared to deal with, public education is really not the best option for him until he learns more coping skills (which is what I'm there to teach). Being homeschooled has worked out wonderfully for him because he moves faster on some subjects than on others and can devote the time that he needs to his weaker areas instead of what his teacher thinks is appropriate. His parents and I ensure that he is thoroughly learning and retaining the material, is out in the community at least four times a week, and regularly spends time with friends and family. Every aspect of healthy development is secure.

Unfortunately, not all children, parents, and families can create as supportive an environment. Not all caregivers are equipped to teach their children at home, whether it is because they are of the working class and cannot make the time commitment, do not possess the knowledge or critical thought, are crappy parents and should be away from their children as much as possible, live in a rough part of town where school's safer than home, or simply do not have the material resources on hand.

I personally intend for any children I have to be homeschooled because I know their needs will be completely provided for.

Homeschooling is not for everyone but it is very good option nowadays. Education should be about choice and of course there should be some standards but not at the expense of variety. I am from Europe,specifically Slovakia and I have some not very nice experiences from standardized schooling. It is hard to tell if it was caused by teachers incompetence (quite likely) or crazy students (also very likely). I think homeschooling is just for intelligent,educated or very skillful people, who can give children not just facts but learn them to think. We are not the same, why everybody should be but in a neat box? And socializing. There are many ways. clubs, concerts,volunteering, homeschooling with other families.

I was partially home schooled and it was a very negative experience.

Then again my dad was a control freak who confused education with beating the shit out of his kids. Easy mistake really.

All I can say is that, back in high school when I was on the chess team, the home school kids had a team that slaughtered everyone else. Its like they had nothing to do but sit around and play chess, which is what I probably would have been doing if I were at home more.

I also think that it would have probably have been better to skip middle school than to go there. Some schools really are just terrible, and if the parents can give the kids a better experience, then maybe they should.

I used to be totally against homeschooling. Lately I have begun to change my mind due to some other positive experiences. Teaching some kid who wants to be a laborer how to do calculous is a poor use of my tax dollars. Get him in the workforce early I say.