[INFJ] - Help me understand all this typology! | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Help me understand all this typology!

KuroShiro

Sep 4, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Ill do this later
Okay bear with me, I was recently surfing the web and I came across this odd test. I was told that this test would determine my personality type; after the test I was branded an INFJ. I was then given a link to the INFJ profile which I started reading, and to my astonishment I felt that i had never read anything that so accurately described my thought processes, feelings, and aspirations. I was so astonished that I was extremely doubtful and so I started to ask myself: "did I misinterpret some questions?", "Did I have mental barriers blocking me from appropriately answering the questions?". I answered "no" because of the simple answer that I know and understand who I am, therefore I came to the conclusion that there has been no other document to describe me, that is how I know I am an INFJ.

Besides the dissertation on my discoveries, i would like to get some responses on the following from the community.

Is my reaction normal?

Stories on how you discovered you were an INFJ

Should i recommend this test to my S/O?

To put it bluntly "How popular is this shit?"

Is there a general dislike for typology?

The general purpose of this forum.

Besides the dissertation on my discoveries, i would like to get some responses on the following from the community.

K.

Is my reaction normal?

I don't see how being excited/interested in making progress in one's self-discovery would be abnormal, but generally, yes. A lot of people, not just INFJs, get pretty excited when they feel like they've finally been able to 'pin themselves down' and discover that there are other people that think like them.

Stories on how you discovered you were an INFJ

I took the test, much as you did. Got excited. Came to this forum. Met a lot of interesting people, made some friends, learned more about typology and psychology in general, and in the meantime, questioned my type about 62 billion times until I realized that type really didn't matter in the long run. Too many people get caught up in self-discovery process and don't focus on application.

Should i recommend this test to my S/O?

Sure, why not?

To put it bluntly "How popular is this shit?"

It's neither popular nor unpopular. There are lot of communities dedicated to typology out there on the web, but outside of those communities, you won't really hear about it. Sometimes employers use MBTI and other personality tests, but the jury is out on whether or not this is a productive approach.

Is there a general dislike for typology?

I think some people get frustrated with it, but a general dislike? I have no idea.

The general purpose of this forum.

Typology, blogging, emotional support/advice, discussion of topics relevant to the INFJ and introverts in general, a place to shoot the shit. etc.

K.

I don't see how being excited/interested in making progress in one's self-discovery would be abnormal, but generally, yes. A lot of people, not just INFJs, get pretty excited when they feel like they've finally been able to 'pin themselves down' and discover that there are other people that think like them.

I took the test, much as you did. Got excited. Came to this forum. Met a lot of interesting people, made some friends, learned more about typology and psychology in general, and in the meantime, questioned my type about 62 billion times until I realized that type really didn't matter in the long run. Too many people get caught up in self-discovery process and don't focus on application.

Sure, why not?

It's neither popular nor unpopular. There are lot of communities dedicated to typology out there on the web, but outside of those communities, you won't really hear about it. Sometimes employers use MBTI and other personality tests, but the jury is out on whether or not this is a productive approach.

I think some people get frustrated with it, but a general dislike? I have no idea.

Typology, blogging, emotional support/advice, discussion of topics relevant to the INFJ and introverts in general, a place to shoot the shit. etc.

Wow, thank you for the comprehensive response, i was fearing i would get close to no one to respond to my newbish thread.

You make a good point on getting wrapped up in the self-discoverey process, in terms of application i feel i will use this typology to make better use of the INFJ strengths and work on the weaknesses.