"hearing" posts while reading | INFJ Forum

"hearing" posts while reading

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Maybe it's just me, but does any one else hear the words spoken internally while reading a post rather than just reading the words on the screen?

Any theory behind this? I always assumed everyone read this way but maybe not. I always hear a voice speaking the words as I read, even if I don't know how the writer's voice may sound.

So, is it just me?

When I type I hear myself internally speaking the words while I'm typing. Just happens, not intentional.

I get this too xD

If Im typing, In my head I say what I want to type, then I will say it again slowly whilst Im typing it out. It helps me not to make errors so much.
If I am having a conversation with someone on MSN or facebook or anything, when I get a message from whoever I am speaking to, I always read it and hear their voice in my head, as if they are sat right next to me saying it. xD

I don't really have a theory for it.. but I've always done it xD

Always. I even try to add in a characteristic tone with it as well, it makes reading everything more fun and interesting but that's because I'm an auditory person and I like sounds. I know some people don't read that way, in fact, when you learn to speed read they tell you that listening to your voice can actually slow you down but alas, I can't not do it (and I read anywhere between 600 -800 words a minute at leisure. I think I'll live)

Speed reading courses insist that getting past hearing the words while reading is the first step to reading faster: you have to force yourself to read faster than your mind can pronounce the words.

So apparently it is common, but not necessary. I can't remember ever hearing the words - but I learned to speed read when I was about 12.

Last edited:
Yep, all the time. This effect gets even more intensified for me when I've actually heard the person speak before.

I hear ya.

LOL....good one [MENTION=4254]Broken705[/MENTION]

You already know my answer - I hear the words - mostly. In whose voice? I dont' know.

I always thought it had something to do with what kind of best learner I was. Either visual, auditory, or kinesthetic. (i'm not sure about the spelling of that last word). I have always done best in learning when I hear the material - then writing it down. Not quite so good if I read it only.

I do this if I know what the writers voice sounds like.

No, but I do have a tendency to try and picture the person whose post is it. With those whose pictures I've seen in the members thread I picture facial expressions and probable mood while they typed their post. That's why I sometimes on people's pictures comment whether they look like I pictured them or not.

Last edited:
outside of speed readers most everyone has an internal monologue.

For example you'll now read this meme in voice some of the stars on this image
read-in-our-voice.jpg

Speed reading courses insist that getting past hearing the words while reading is the first step to reading faster: you have to force yourself to read faster than your mind can pronounce the words.

So apparently it is common, but not necessary. I can't remember ever hearing the words - but I learned to speed read when I was about 12.

By chance, how fast do you read?

Yes. WHen I read my essays back to myself, I read them like Simon Schama.

Yep, all the time. One reason I hate Teamspeak or any online game that has a voice chat.

It's one of the things, I've been told, writers rely on when writing a book; developing that voice so a reader actually hears the story. Speed reading and creative writing are almost always at odds with one another...