HarvardX - Biology | INFJ Forum

HarvardX - Biology

Biology was one of my favourite subjects. I wish there were videos like this back when I was learning it.

Reactions: Asa and dragulagu
@mintoots behold:
björk

That face at 4:50!

and a TED talk
So so so so so so so so so cool! At this point i'm almost convinced free will is executed at the molecular level. The answers of life could be there!

I'm still catching up on molecular biology so i'm weeding through references but these are just golden! Does tedx have similar visuals on stem cells or anything about cellular potency?

Reactions: dragulagu
At this point i'm almost convinced free will is executed at the molecular level.

Lol, better not go on that road min. It's messy :D (as that part of free will is undecided at the moment). Reminds me that I still have to reread the damn book on it for the summary on Ren's blog.

Reactions: mintoots
Lol, better not go on that road min. It's messy :D (as that part of free will is undecided at the moment). Reminds me that I still have to reread the damn book on it for the summary on Ren's blog.
Lmao i'm working on an analogy between cells and cities so that's why. I think humans and organic materials are the molecules in some odd scaled up version. Then stem cells are the infants or a starting hamlet with great potential for urbanization.

Lmao i'm working on an analogy between cells and cities so that's why. I think humans and organic materials are the molecules in some odd scaled up version. Then stem cells are the infants or a starting hamlet with great potential for urbanization.

Ok, you got me curious now. Like a self-developing city system?

Ok, you got me curious now. Like a self-developing city system?
Yes. My analysis so far indicates that whichever part of the city is composed of the same major urban stocks: people, water, agricultural stocks, electricity, soil, etc. I see these as counterparts of molecules. In the same way that molecules integrate and disintegrate through protein complexes, urban stocks do so too, albeit a slight difference in the city version of the protein complex (factories on the city scale?) --- I haven't explored. As there are different types of cells, or organs, so are there different types of humans (professions, age, etc.) that have their own function or even villages or city districts, i.e. ---residential, business district, nature park reserves. Similarly, of these, cells with a high density of human, stocks, and cash flow (which I liken to ATP) have the highest potency. An urban area is defined as a place with a high concentration of humans, money, energy stocks, water stocks--- the growth projection of a small but dense urban area therefore can be totipotent. Stuff like that. I'm not sure if I make enough sense. I've been swimming in and out of these thoughts lately, sometimes the confusion makes me want to cry lmao.

Yes. My analysis so far indicates that whichever part of the city is composed of the same major urban stocks: people, water, agricultural stocks, electricity, soil, etc. I see these as counterparts of molecules. In the same way that molecules integrate and disintegrate through protein complexes, urban stocks do so too, albeit a slight difference in the city version of the protein complex (factories on the city scale?) --- I haven't explored. As there are different types of cells, or organs, so are there different types of humans (professions, age, etc.) that have their own function or even villages or city districts, i.e. ---residential, business district, nature park reserves. Similarly, of these, cells with a high density of human, stocks, and cash flow (which I liken to ATP) have the highest potency. An urban area is defined as a place with a high concentration of humans, money, energy stocks, water stocks--- the growth projection of a small but dense urban area therefore can be totipotent. Stuff like that. I'm not sure if I make enough sense. I've been swimming in and out of these thoughts lately, sometimes the confusion makes me want to cry lmao.

Reminds me a bit of Sim City games.

So essentially, if I understand correctly, you want to see whether cities or populations have an organic growth pattern, correct?
Hmm, the energy and water stocks are facilities that are in demand of the higher density concentration of humans though.

- What would be the ideal environment for a totipotent location?
- What are the criteria required for a totipotent location to grow (cash flow mainly, I think)
- Will there be certain evolution patterns in such a location, will it expand, will it grow in density, ...? I'm thinking supercities here, skyscrapers, ... as well here.

Mainly I think a lot of this within the preference of the residents. Though it could be interesting to find these criteria. That way you could select/design an ideal
type of estate for your client to build on a location (ok we have this location, what's the population density, facilities, cash flow, ... and how will this evolve within
10-50 years). Thinking about multi-resident buildings, malls, ... here.

Reminds me a bit of Sim City games.

So essentially, if I understand correctly, you want to see whether cities or populations have an organic growth pattern, correct?
Hmm, the energy and water stocks are facilities that are in demand of the higher density concentration of humans though.

- What are the criteria required for a totipotent location to grow (cash flow mainly, I think)
- Will there be certain evolution patterns in such a location, will it expand, will it grow in density, ...? I'm thinking supercities here, skyscrapers, ... as well here.

Mainly I think a lot of this within the preference of the residents. Though it could be interesting to find these criteria. That way you could select/design an ideal
type of estate for your client to build on a location (ok we have this location, what's the population density, facilities, cash flow, ... and how will this evolve within
Yes! Precisely. You are asking the right questions. I'll get back to you on this.

Don't organisms essentially need carbs, lipids, and proteins? I'm considering looking at people, wood stocks, metal stocks, agricultural stocks, as equivalents to these biological macromolecules
I am not thinking about this in terms of density yet. I am trying to organize the analogous compositions for now, but you make a good point about density.

For urban areas, the interlinks of culture, economy, policy, and infrastructure are what makes it a city. Essentially, once the first three are present, the fourth one follows. Infrastructure then is the result of potency. As to what type of city or village or even district it grows into, that is defined. not only by the preference of users but also by policy. my core argument is that policy is like the drug to the metabolic activities of the human body. Or perhaps policy is a manner of administration, like the way Singapore increases economic output by encouraging migrant workers in their city. In this case, the migrant workers are the transplanted drug while the policy is the manner of administrating the drug.

Cash flow is a good indicator of potency. In the process of cell respiration, ATP are best produced during chemio-osmosis. In a city, the central business district produces a lot of cash. It could be the mitochondria of the city, if the city were the cell.

There could be. My findings show that this growth pattern is reliant on geophysical conditions in the same way that plants adjust their growth pattern based on the presence of a nearby rock. What is apparent is that it tends to grow in density and thereafter occurs expansion.

Yes, that's the idea. For example we want to augment the economic stature of a developing country, we can then determine appropriate urban areas to cultivate. It is similar to a transplant. In this sense, it is also critical to understand the growth patterns of different cities to have enough data on its biological mechanisms. Many organic cities (old ones and not planned unit developments) have growth stages. First a hamlet, then a town, then a polis, a metropolis, then a megalopolis. Planned unit developments are pre planted. Infrastructure is established then living things move in to own it, but what if cities could be defined, or better yet, corrected by the precision transplant of specific urban areas and policies?

Ok, going to brainstorm a bit with ya.

Don't organisms essentially need carbs, lipids, and proteins? I'm considering looking at people, wood stocks, metal stocks, agricultural stocks, as equivalents to these biological macromolecules
I am not thinking about this in terms of density yet. I am trying to organize the analogous compositions for now, but you make a good point about density.

First and foremost organisms need energy. These building blocks provide it and are being used to activate processes for environmental maintenance (DNA reproduction, maintenance, ...).

Hmm I have a clip on this:

I'd compare a complete cell structure then similar to the baseline of a city.

For urban areas, the interlinks of culture, economy, policy, and infrastructure are what makes it a city. Essentially, once the first three are present, the fourth one follows. Infrastructure then is the result of potency. As to what type of city or village or even district it grows into, that is defined. not only by the preference of users but also by policy. my core argument is that policy is like the drug to the metabolic activities of the human body. Or perhaps policy is a manner of administration, like the way Singapore increases economic output by encouraging migrant workers in their city. In this case, the migrant workers are the transplanted drug while the policy is the manner of administrating the drug.

Hmm, so essentially once you start up the culture / economy / policy, the first definition of a city is created? Does the interlinking have a certain measurement on the potency as well? (the better these pillars are interlinked, the higher to potency)
Thinking especially on culture here as big cities, for example Brussels here, have 150+ different nationalities (and thus very mixed cultures). The policy is the regulator (eg. it decides what needs to be improved or provided for the sake of infrastructural consistency and growth).

Cash flow is a good indicator of potency. In the process of cell respiration, ATP are best produced during chemio-osmosis. In a city, the central business district produces a lot of cash. It could be the mitochondria of the city, if the city were the cell.

How would that project towards a city that works without a central business district? Eg. when these mitochondria of the city would be spread out all over it. Wouldn't there be an need then for emphasis on interlinking each of these cash generators? (I'm thinking towards a future where the need for centralised work areas will be reduced).

There could be. My findings show that this growth pattern is reliant on geophysical conditions in the same way that plants adjust their growth pattern based on the presence of a nearby rock. What is apparent is that it tends to grow in density and thereafter occurs expansion.

Go on, what geophysical conditions? Can you give an example?

Yes, that's the idea. For example we want to augment the economic stature of a developing country, we can then determine appropriate urban areas to cultivate. It is similar to a transplant. In this sense, it is also critical to understand the growth patterns of different cities to have enough data on its biological mechanisms. Many organic cities (old ones and not planned unit developments) have growth stages. First a hamlet, then a town, then a polis, a metropolis, then a megalopolis. Planned unit developments are pre planted. Infrastructure is established then living things move in to own it, but what if cities could be defined, or better yet, corrected by the precision transplant of specific urban areas and policies?

Is there lecture material available on this? I recall China specifically doing policies on rapid growth/migrations, forcing people to move rapidly into new areas...if anything it reminds me of the bizarre phenomenon of China's Ghost cities. (recalling they create these not for the sake of infrastructural optimisation)

Did you check a bit further on this mintoots? (let's ignore the brainstorm session for now).
Wonder if there are other people with similar concepts on city growth.