Growing Up in a Traditional Subculture and Family | INFJ Forum

Growing Up in a Traditional Subculture and Family

Wayfarer

Oct 13, 2015
MBTI
INxJ
I'm writing a story about someone who grows up in a classic, old-fashioned traditional subculture and family (East Coast Irish Catholic, circa 1980's-90's, but in many ways more like 40's or 50's because this is a very traditional enclave). This isn't my background at all, but I've converted into Catholicism, and I'm very intrigued by its more traditional corners. Now, I've never typed my characters, and I don't really believe in doing that, but he's more INFJ than anything else. He has some typical NF traits. And then, some traits that are not so typical. But I'm wondering how someone...NF-like...relates to and deals with a community and family like that. (I hesitate to plonk a label on anyone's head, the more I think about this whole typing thing.) Keep in mind, his Catholic authority figures would for the most part be quite well disposed to his intellectualism (i.e., this is nothing like fundamentalism - totally different kettle of fish). He's really smart, but that's not considered a bad thing in itself. It's the other things that seem to come with his genius that his family and community struggle with, and some of them flatly reject traits like "over"-sensitivity, for instance, even while lauding his painful compassion.

Also keep in mind that, despite the counterculture element here, his family experience is not all bad. Some of it is very good. He has an attentive, though very strict, mother whom he adores, and he thrives on having an active, close-knit family and community life. You could say the good things are as sweet as the bad things are painful. His mother understands him better than anyone else, and though he's her favorite, she's very hard on him. His father is not malicious, but he's a somewhat simple creature, and believes in corporal punishment as a matter of course. My MC's childhood is largely bittersweet, but so much goes wrong that he ends up apostasizing, and...well, my story gets complicated after that. Much of it revolves around his trying to reconcile his apparently innate identity with those of his own family, and with what his parents believe to be eternal truths of right and wrong. He doesn't even know if there is any fundamental conflict between who he is and who God calls him to be, or if the conflict is entirely in a misunderstanding of the latter - perhaps by himself as much as his family.

Any thoughts? I'm skeptical about MBTI, but I know there are certain traits and experiences which brought most of us to these forums. A feeling of difference. So how might someone who might identify with "INFJ," or even just NF, relate to such a background? I won't go into what my character himself experiences; right now, I'm mostly working on his adult attempts at reconciliation with his family. But I'd like a wider perspective, if possible. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or insights you could share, especially if you come from a similar background.