Got an interview, but do I want the job? | INFJ Forum

Got an interview, but do I want the job?

justeccentricnotinsane

Community Member
Oct 7, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Hi
I recently wrote on here so I'm sorry for another question. I got great advice on the last thread but I feel like people could tell that I'm not totally certain on what I want exactly and this is totally true. But I'm getting really anxious now because I've been offered an interview for a job and, while I'll definitely go to the interview and find out more, I don't know whether or not it would be a good move for me to take it. I'm going to do this in bullet points in the hope it will be clearer:

Life-long goals
Ok, these are the goals and interests that I've had since I can remember:
  • To write
  • To inform (I wanted to be a newsreader when I was a kid and I'm now a journalist)
  • To stick up for what's right and try and help fight injustice
  • To entertain
  • To be in the media in some way (this has literally been since I can remember)
  • Since I was about 18 - to write comedy scripts
What I've done
  • Been writing scripts since I was 16, until recently always comedy
  • I have contacts at national broadcasters because my script work has started to be noticed
  • I am a low-level journalist
  • I have worked with a charity in a PR/press office role.
Ok, so the role I've got an interview for is essentially as a careers adviser (I see the irony, ok? :) ). I went for it because my job at the moment is extremely stressful, depressing, low-paid and so exhausting I can't do anything else outside of work. When going for the role, I thought I wanted to do it because I want to feel like I'm helping someone, and this is still true, but is it a good career move? I mean, as you can tell, I've been writing in everything I do and my current idea is that I might want to go into communications in the third sector.

I'm confused. I don't know where I'm going in life or what I want anymore. I have been working at being a scriptwriter for years and with passion, but now that things are starting to go well for me (that's why I put in about the broadcasters) I feel confused. I suppose I'm questioning: Is this really what I want to do? And also: Is this going to work out? Script is very risky, it probably won't go anywhere, it doesn't for most people, so I want a plan B. But a careers adviser? Here's the reasons I'm not sure:
  • Is it a side-step? Will it look out of place on my CV if I wanted to communications work with a charity?
  • For the first time ever I'm working with people of my own age group and feel like I fit in a bit better, but in this place I'll probably be the only one of my generation there.
  • My work is very fast-paced and intense at the moment. It's stressful but I would hate it more if I was bored - what if the job is boring or too easy? In the past, I have become very depressed when not stimulated, how do I know that won't happen again?
So basically - I'm so confused!!!! I feel like I have no direction. I'm continuing with script but I don't hold out that much hope and I don't want to screw up my Plan B in case that's what I need to fall back on.

Basically, I've always just thought "I wanted to write scripts" and I've never had any other ideas (apart from when I was a teenager and I wanted to be a journalist but I don't think I want that now - or do I? As a Plan B?) So now I'm approaching 25 and I don't have ideas. I feel like I'm just coasting along trying to think of something I want to do that isn't writing. Because I'm starting to save money now, I want a mortgage one day, I want to be able to have a family in the next ten years, so I'm going to need money and I'm going to need to have a steady career. But I have no ideas! I'm sorry this is so vague. If anyone can think of any words of wisdom at all, I'd really appreciate it!

Should I just stick with script and forget about all this Plan B stuff?
Assuming my skills are in writing and communication, what sort of career should I look at if I do?
Should I be getting it sorted out NOW - try and stick with one career idea and just go for it?
How can I work out what I want to do? I'm not certain about ANYTHING at the moment.

Last edited:
I think there is value in sitting through an interview, even if you are not completely sold on the job. it is a way to learm more about the job. . go with questions. . let them sell you on the job. . I interview lots of people and it is those people that come with questions. . that have learn enought about th ejob that they can engage me that spark my interest. . adn interview is the time that the person adn the emplyer tryto seel each other on the value of coming together. .
one thing I would say. . never give up your dreams. . never settle. . if your dream is to be a writer, then write. . you may need to be in a job that pasy the bills, . .but dont let your job get in th eway of what you want. .

Reactions: Sriracha
If your confident, you can always try the job. Getting a taste for it is key.

Reactions: Gaze
I think you are over thinking the situation. It's only an interview, and if you do get a job offer afterwards you can still decline. And if you do accept the offered job position and you don't like the job you can always quit.

As per you concern of how that job position will look in your CV later if you go into something else, if you do have other stuff needed to get to an interview you can always spin that experience and make it a benefit for the job you are applying to. You can do so even in the cover letter if you are sending one. It says that you are a person who learns from every experience and knows how to get the maximum from every situation.

I think you might use a good paradigm shift, it's not the cards you've been dealt, it's how you play them. What I want to say with this is - if your job is boring or too easy for you, you can quit or you can use it for your benefit, I guess you are going to meet a lot of people through it, that's like a wealth of characters for your writing, right?

When you feel like you have no direction just lay back and let the events show you the direction. Go to that interview, see what's beyond that door, maybe you'll be interested, maybe not. Maybe you'll gain some clarity about your position after it.

I think you are over thinking the situation.

Guilty as charged. This sort of goes for everything in my life!

Thank you. I'll definitely go to the interview (got to get time off work, must remember that!) and I'll ask lots of questions so I can get an idea of what the job will be like. Then I'll go from there :)

Reactions: Siamese cat