Good artists borrow, Great artists steal? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Good artists borrow, Great artists steal?

This really is a problem. My twin sister was always super careful in her creative writing classes to never show her good stuff to the class because she had heard too many stories of people's ideas being stolen.
My best friend is a poet and spoken word artist and has witnessed people stealing her ideas and even her phrases word-for-word in their own poems and in marketing. It's intellectual theft and it's fucked up.

I think that the quote is being misunderstood. I think to be a great artist you have to steal ideas from all over the place - from many many many different sources, and then let them become a part of you. Read different authors, look at different art, watch movies, visit places, listen to people's stories, steal everything that resonates with you and absorb it. Only then can you create from a place of authenticity, instead of just copy-pasting from one source. That, to me, is more borrowing, because you haven't taken it in and let is become part of you. To be authentic you have to forget the original source and let it come from you. No artist can be great if they are not authentic.

"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal."
"When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me."
"Don't judge a book by its cover."

I believe quite strongly that these cliches were originated by nefarious types to deflect from their questionable character and/or actions. What's great about stealing? How many pitfalls have been avoided thanks to some effective assuming? If books weren't meant to be judged by their covers, then why is so much invested in their appearances? I find no absolute truths in these overused fast-food anecdotes, and they are probably are used to pass off more harm than good.

To take someone else's story and use it without their express permission is at the very least unethical. My heart goes out to your friend. Like a previous member commented, I too believe karma will have the final word.

Having one's intellectual property stolen from them and then watching someone else profit can be devastating. When I was a flight attendant, I worked with a crew member who was also a singer/songwriter. She told me she once sat down to collaborate with a producer. There was no contract in place. At some point, he decided they weren't getting anywhere and to call it a day. They parted ways. Some time later, various friends would call or text, asking she'd heard a very famous artist's latest release. They told her it sounded an awful lot like one of her songs. When she finally heard the song, she recognized it right away. She received no credit, no money. And she hasn't had the heart to write since.

Myself, I like to write songs and produce recordings. A lot of influence is present, because I am influenced by a number of things: genres, vocal arrangements, sometimes a particular line in a lyric or a guitar lick. When I play a demo version of a recording, it doesn't sound like the influential piece, because my work takes on a life of its own and more or less leads me into its fulfillment. I've learned to protect my intellectual property. Life has taught to treat it as something of great value. Things of great value deserve protection. So, I'm careful about sharing ideas. I register copyrights. I certainly wouldn't play one of my unregistered songs to an ear-trained musician!

All things created are influenced. In music (which I'm better with metaphorically), there is originality, influence, derivation, and outright plagiarism. Originality, influence and derivation can produce greatness. Only to the lowest of tastes is plagiaristic work great.

This topic reminds me of the recent infringement lawsuits that began with "Blurred Lines" and continued through Sam Smith's "Stay With Me," Justin Bieber's "Sorry," Madonna's "Vogue," and Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven." But I already written enough - maybe too much.

Thanks to the originator. Great topic!

Reactions: Free and Asa
For my own studio recordings ( all composed by myself, all instruments, vocals, mastering / production), the seed of influence was sewn many years ago from hearing artists of similar styles. I spent years under the influence of many different works, but my idealism spoke often and early: I had to create my own, because I wasn't getting enough, and quite simply, I knew what I wanted to hear, and it was far better than anything that ever existed, according to me. That spark became a flame that has paved way to my focus as an artist. I can confidently say that I've not stolen one single riff or "exact" sound that I've heard, because my writing process involves me in my head, the stimulation of images conjured from dreams and my imagination all forming to create a finished product. I'm having a hard time explaining this, but I hope it makes sense.

I tap into worlds deep within me. It's very much a channeling, during the writing process. The tendencies I had on piano as a toddler have fully manifested into what moves me internally. It's funny how at such a young age, that need to hear what I instinctively wanted to create has always been there. And over the years, I've been misguided and misdirected - but that has always led me back to square one, and I finally caught on several years ago and decided to fully pursue the itch that I should have been scratching all along. It's more fulfilling than you could ever imagine.

There is some truth to the title of this thread, though. Some of the strongest influences of mine have been a particular snare sound, a reverb effect, a bass tone. Particular sounds in recordings more so than the composition or idea itself have played a massive effect on my preferences in tone, and effectively, the final outcome.

I guess being an artist is a "career", despite not ever being able to make a substantial living from what I earn. Just a thought after noticing that this is in the "Education and Careers" subforum.

Last edited:
i find people who use that quote lazy. i´ve seen a few use it and their work is a rehash and a raiding cultures.

Reactions: Free
@koizora, I don't know, either, but some types are known for adhering to morals and ethics more than others, while other type will bend with those they are surrounded by. That said, what someone considers moral or immoral is still personal to some extent.

I agree with you. It is dishonorable to steal another's work. I would not be proud of it. I would hate myself.
But it seems like some people want success so badly that they don't care how they get it. Some people believe ideas are like water or air. Some people don't know the difference between an homage, inspiration and stealing. :(
(^^^^^Edit: I realize this seems trite, but I was once in a legal argument over stolen intellectual property and the accused claimed a friend who was defending the original artist had also "stolen". This friend had done a comedic homage to a very famous band. It was obvious satire. Still, the thief either pretending to be dumb, or was actually dumb and continued to accuse my friend of stealing intellectual property too, under the blanket, "We all do it, even you!")

@James, agree! ! !

i´m studying an artist who has grazed through many people´s work, i believe they use this as a means to get attention, everything points towards getting attention being the number 1 reason, and to feel ´´special´´. this person is very famous and making millions on grazing people´s work and watering it down for their own vain benefit. they also imitate without adding anything new, they dumb it down because, imo, they have no creativity. and this person was heralded as the new ´´avantgarde´´. one of the people who worked for her, who is also a grazer, imo, posted that quote on their instagram after some appropriation accusations were being made, to me it was as if they knew they aren´t original and doing things not quite kosher.

this topic actually makes me livid.

Reactions: Free and Asa