GMO Food | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

GMO Food

I am anti-GMO food. I buy organic when I can. I buy local when I can. I grow what I can but gardening isn't my forte. I do not buy processed foods. I cook my meals from scratch. If they want to sell GMO food I think it should be required to be labeled as such, and also grown in such a way as to not cross contaminate non-GMO crops. (It was in one of the documentaries that somone's already posted I think, about the canola farmers ending up sued because the GMO crop cross-polinated with theirs, and they were sued over it.) That's not right on so many levels. One we should be able to choose, two he shouldn't have been sued for something he had no way of preventing. I'm ready to stop eating ANY corn just to avoid it. I would be sad because I really like corn, but I have enough health issues that I don't want to risk it. I already don't use canola, or soy (I'm allergic to it.) If I make something with soy for someone else, like my husband, I make sure I buy organic. People think I'm crazy because I can't eat so many things and will voluntarily cut out others as well. I still manage quite well. Most Americans eat more corn and soy than they realize, and supplement that with wheat, sugar, potatoes, meat and tomato sauce or ketchup, as well as all the chemicals that go into the processed foods. It makes me sad that so many people would rather eat a "store bought" cake that has a shelf life of weeks, than a home made cake that lasts only a few days but has real ingredients. I'm getting off track here so I'll stop, but I do not think GMO should be released as "safe" when there's no proof. Remember ephedra? or aspartame? coke? I'd rather not be invited into a class action suit 20 years down the road attributing my infertility/cancer/other health ailments to GMO products, because I'd rather not have the issues.

I hear you AKM, you're not crazy. I met a student that was very interested in going into the field of GMO and was doing his thesis in it. He spent 20 minutes singing its praises and saying that gmo was safe, before he grugdingly admitted that he didnt eat it himself and would never let his nephew eat it until it was proven safe!

And I still can not believe that aspartame is everwhere, despite all the evidence against its safety. I hate Wriggleys and their posionous gum- So irresponsible. I would not buy coke for health/ethical reasons, but I'm relieved that Coke has released a version with stevia in it (albeit a heavily manufactured and process stevia). The FDA certainly did a backflip on stevia once the big boys Coke and Pepsi expressed interest in this so called 'toxic' wonderful substance that has the potenial to help diabetics and curb obesity. It just shows that these people can just be bought and sold, and have no interest in public health.

Here is a potential solution to a lot of these issues.

I always thought converting sky scrapers into farming buildings was a good idea.

A 20 story building with no rooms, just open floor on top of floor each with window walls. They would get plenty of sunlight that way. And If you designed the building accordingly then you could set it up with all kinds of neat gizmos and systems to efficiently transport the dirt and harvest the crops. You would have total environmental control so you could grow whatever the hell you want. Even grow a different crop on each floor if you wanted. Plus it would pretty much eliminate exposure to pests or disease all together meaning growing everything organically would be not only easier but more cost effective since you wouldn

Reactions: AKM
Since we're all talking about GMO on here, you might want to see the effects it has beyond your dinner plates here:

Similar to how pesticides have been contributing to the bee decline, Monsanto

Since we're all talking about GMO on here, you might want to see the effects it has beyond your dinner plates here:

Thanks Lerxst

Hows this for a radical new approach to food. I borrowed this concept from Zindells sci fi books...

Imagine having public kitchens/restaurants everywhere in a city that served wholesome, nutritious food for cost price/or free in some cases. People could go into these restaurants and eat in/or pick up their meal. The food would be basic, healthy, economical and seasonal. People could go in and volunteer, learn how to prepare food, cook, about basic nutrition etc.
These restaurants would also be great community meeting centres, a place to have your community billboard and get to know your community.

The problem Im seeing more and more is that people are unwilling/unable to prepare their own food because of ignorance, time constraints, disinterest and laziness. Fast food and prepackaged meals are a huge and dangerous industry that is creating more health problems that the public health care system can cope with. Children are no longer learning to cook because their parents dont cook. People are largely ignorant about food and nutrition and heavily influenced by marketing in their food choices.

Any thoughts?

The problem Im seeing more and more is that people are unwilling/unable to prepare their own food because of ignorance, time constraints, disinterest and laziness. Fast food and prepackaged meals are a huge and dangerous industry that is creating more health problems that the public health care system can cope with. Children are no longer learning to cook because their parents dont cook. People are largely ignorant about food and nutrition and heavily influenced by marketing in their food choices.

Yes, I agree with the general idea that people do not learn to cook/set up a kitchen/curate a pantry (yes, curate)... except perhaps without the "laziness" part. People are busy, especially people with jobs and families.

Back in the day, which was actually before my time, Home Economics was routinely taught to children, mostly girls, and they actually learned how to run a home. I know older women who quite proudly received awards in Home Economics. Good Housekeeping was something other than a magazine.

Stuff like this matters because it is directly related to nutrition, health and even finances. I've been surprised to find younger people I know who seem to think they need a kitchen full of electric gadgets in order to cook well, but they don't have, for example a good set of knives, which is probably the most basic need for cooking vegetables. They don't learn skills like canning or drying food or making bread.

I also personally find it extremely bothersome that the same exact people who bemoan these "societal problems" are usually some of the first to belittle housewives or stay at home dads, as well as farmers and the like. They'll kick those types straight under the bus in a heartbeat. (That is just my personal pet peeve and I probably need to get a cup of coffee and get over it.)

But yeah, the learning to cook thing is a big issue.

Yes, I agree with the general idea that people do not learn to cook/set up a kitchen/curate a pantry (yes, curate)... except perhaps without the "laziness" part. People are busy, especially people with jobs and families.

Back in the day, which was actually before my time, Home Economics was routinely taught to children, mostly girls, and they actually learned how to run a home. I know older women who quite proudly received awards in Home Economics. Good Housekeeping was something other than a magazine.

Stuff like this matters because it is directly related to nutrition, health and even finances. I've been surprised to find younger people I know who seem to think they need a kitchen full of electric gadgets in order to cook well, but they don't have, for example a good set of knives, which is probably the most basic need for cooking vegetables. They don't learn skills like canning or drying food or making bread.

I also personally find it extremely bothersome that the same exact people who bemoan these "societal problems" are usually some of the first to belittle housewives or stay at home dads, as well as farmers and the like. They'll kick those types straight under the bus in a heartbeat. (That is just my personal pet peeve and I probably need to get a cup of coffee and get over it.)

But yeah, the learning to cook thing is a big issue.

Busyness and time constaints is a big issue for most of my friends and their families. Working fulltime, having a family and doing all the general household and life maintenace things to get by doesnt leave many families time to cook proper meals most nights.

Ive noticed laziness as an issue for some of my single friends, and unfortunately many lower socioeconomic families as well.
Sometimes its more that food/nutrition isnt a priority, more an afterthought. People can be very preoccupied with everything else that is going on in their lives.

I think that teaching basic nutrition and cooking at schools would be fantastic. I guess its not valued as an important life skill anymore because prepackaged meals and fast food is so prevalent.
Personally, I love food and cooking, I cant imagine not being able to cook- it would be so sad. Food is such an important part of my life

I agree that the biggest problem with GMO food is patentability (Not a necessary part of a GMO food industry, but something which GMO enables) and lack of biodiversity. These are problems which could probably be overcome, but I don't believe that it is necessary. Techniques like Bio dynamic farming (kind of like Organic+, google it) involve doing some crazy stuff (personally I think that some of the stuff like planting on specific says probably helps, and other bits like burying cow poo in a horn for 6 months probably do not), but have been shown in scientific tests to dramatically increase food production.

I make GMO's for a living. A very large portion of you are terribly misinformed like the general population) about what current research has to say. As has already been stated, its the intellectual property that is the problem. You get your information from people pushing this agenda. Its too bad intellectual property exists. Otherwise the world would have much to benefit from GMO's without unfounded hysteria.

I make GMO's for a living. A very large portion of you are terribly misinformed like the general population) about what current research has to say. As has already been stated, its the intellectual property that is the problem. You get your information from people pushing this agenda. Its too bad intellectual property exists. Otherwise the world would have much to benefit from GMO's without unfounded hysteria.

In what ways are we being misinformed? it would be very helpful if you, as someone from the industry, could shed some light on this. All information is inevitably biased and limited, so the more information we have the better.

Do you think its possible for GMO to exist without intellectual property? How could this be implemented?

You are right, I should have been more specific. I was drinking. I work for a pharmaceutical company so I make GMOs to improve antibiotics and probiotics, not GMO food. I am a biochemist, not an ecologist, so admittedly, my knowledge of ecology is limited to the course I took as an undergrad and the one semester of research I did in microbial ecology. The bio diversity issue that was addressed several times on this forum is a real problem. But its a problem because companies (like Monsanto and the one I work for) are evil. Using soy beans as an example, they intentionally make them genetically similar so that if they are wiped out by some mutated bacteria, they have to buy seeds with a new resistance, which monsanto will conveniently develop faster than anyone else bc of their enormous resources. As far as air pollution. A great example for this is once again, the soy bean. The fungus that grows on the roots of legumes attract an unusually large number of nitrogen fixing bacteria (and some methanogens). It is said to be severely disrupting the nitrogen cycle. Once again it is not the fact that they are GMO's it is the fact that GMO strains have become more accessible because they grow in places and in quantities they otherwise could not. We use them irresponsibly? Why? Because all the world cares about is money.

It may sound as though I have made a case against GMO's, but know that I support the research very much. There is much to benefit from GMO's As far as the people saying it has caused birth defects, I would like to know the source of the information. Not because I'm quizzing you, but because I would like to know. Please be aware, that the only credible source of information for science research is peer-reviewed academic journals. Out of the 100's of journals, I subscribe to 3, so I'm not saying there are no nay-saying scientists, I'm just saying I've never read about it in a peer reviewed forum. There simply is no research AT THIS TIME to suggest they cause harm to you when you consume them.

Ok back to the actual problem. Capitalism/ Intellectual property/Money. I'm going to answer your question very simply. No. No I do not think that GMO's can exist without intellectual property. I do not think Medicine can exist without intellectual property. I do not think anything can get done without intellectual property. Its not a problem with the science. Its a problem with society. Someday, definitely not in my lifetime, people will care more about STEM than money. Once money is not the focus of people's lives and society, once we stop teaching our offspring, through the media, through school, through your own words and actions, that money is the most important thing, science will have so much more to offer. In the mean time, I support the pursuit of knowledge and avoid politics at all cost as it makes me homicidal.

Reactions: Quiet
You are right, I should have been more specific. I was drinking. I work for a pharmaceutical company so I make GMOs to improve antibiotics and probiotics, not GMO food. I am a biochemist, not an ecologist, so admittedly, my knowledge of ecology is limited to the course I took as an undergrad and the one semester of research I did in microbial ecology. The bio diversity issue that was addressed several times on this forum is a real problem. But its a problem because companies (like Monsanto and the one I work for) are evil. Using soy beans as an example, they intentionally make them genetically similar so that if they are wiped out by some mutated bacteria, they have to buy seeds with a new resistance, which monsanto will conveniently develop faster than anyone else bc of their enormous resources. As far as air pollution. A great example for this is once again, the soy bean. The fungus that grows on the roots of legumes attract an unusually large number of nitrogen fixing bacteria (and some methanogens). It is said to be severely disrupting the nitrogen cycle. Once again it is not the fact that they are GMO's it is the fact that GMO strains have become more accessible because they grow in places and in quantities they otherwise could not. We use them irresponsibly? Why? Because all the world cares about is money.

It may sound as though I have made a case against GMO's, but know that I support the research very much. There is much to benefit from GMO's As far as the people saying it has caused birth defects, I would like to know the source of the information. Not because I'm quizzing you, but because I would like to know. Please be aware, that the only credible source of information for science research is peer-reviewed academic journals. Out of the 100's of journals, I subscribe to 3, so I'm not saying there are no nay-saying scientists, I'm just saying I've never read about it in a peer reviewed forum. There simply is no research AT THIS TIME to suggest they cause harm to you when you consume them.

Antibiotics and probiotics exist in nature without the need for GMOs. The diseases those medications cure/prevent/treat can be prevented though proper nutrition and dietary control, without the need for GMOs. The argument for GMO products is self-perpetuating; had it not been for them, the processes that create them, the mass-produced, processed food and the demand for all of this, GMOs would have little need to exist.

Meanwhile, thanks to the demand for GMO's we get....

[video=youtube_share;TKPcuwOOGqY]http://youtu.be/TKPcuwOOGqY[/video]

Ok back to the actual problem. Capitalism/ Intellectual property/Money. I'm going to answer your question very simply. No. No I do not think that GMO's can exist without intellectual property. I do not think Medicine can exist without intellectual property. I do not think anything can get done without intellectual property. Its not a problem with the science. Its a problem with society. Someday, definitely not in my lifetime, people will care more about STEM than money. Once money is not the focus of people's lives and society, once we stop teaching our offspring, through the media, through school, through your own words and actions, that money is the most important thing, science will have so much more to offer. In the mean time, I support the pursuit of knowledge and avoid politics at all cost as it makes me homicidal.

The problem with this argument is that Capitalism DOES exist, just as it has for thousands of years. In the future, who knows what's going to happen, but as for now, it's a reality. Just because something may change/improve in the future, doesn't negate the side-effects it currently has.

Idealistic scientists are actually a danger to society, in the current state of our society. Look at Einstein and nuclear weapons for the classic example. A society of billions of people won't change with the snap of a finger. The logical solution is for the relatively small handful of scientists among them to change their thinking by asking their questions starting with "Should" rather than "Could".

Last edited:
Antibiotics and probiotics exist in nature without the need for GMOs. The diseases those medications cure/prevent/treat can be prevented though proper nutrition and dietary control, without the need for GMOs. The argument for GMO products is self-perpetuating; had it not been for them, the processes that create them, the mass-produced, processed food and the demand for all of this, GMOs would have little need to exist.

This statement tells me your only source of information is a documentary made by a human. A human who wants to make a point. What you don't realize is its a very small percent of GMO's that are causing problems. And that is because people use them irresponsibly, immorally, and imperialistically. Obviously antibiotics and probiotics exist in nature. We, however, have increased the effectiveness of many of them by more than 1000% (not a typo). These GMO's are never released into nature and therefore cannot possibly have ecological effects. Making antibiotics and probiotics is just what I do. So many other drugs use them as well. To say you could avoid all this sickness by proper diet and exercise is absurd.

Idealistic scientists are actually a danger to society, in the current state of our society.

You are correct. We are a danger to society in the same sense that a father who allows his child to use his guns without supervision is to his neighbors. Sure the father tells the son how to use it properly and what to do with it, but the 5-year old simply does not have the mental capacity to make the right decision.

Look at Einstein and nuclear weapons for the classic example

I for one am thankful Oppenheimer (not sure why everyone seems to credit Einstein, but I suppose thats irrelevant) uncovered the secrets of nuclear fission. That is progress. Its an effective form of electricity, and gets us even closer to uncovering nuclear fusion, which when this happens, will solve any energy problem on this planet. Unfortunately, Truman murdered people with science. Just as science saves lives, and unfortunately all science needs to build on previous experiments and work. If we limit ourselves, we will be stagnant and stay where we are forever. If you use any type of technology, visit cities, you are a hypocrite, and I don't mean you personally, I'm talking in general. Cities were much more ecologically devastating than the few GMO's we are talking about. The imperialistic use of GMO's is simply immoral.

Also, most people have no idea that just about everything is a GMO. I wish it WOULD become a law that everything that was a GMO had to be labeled. People who buy organic food for the purpose of avoiding GMO, would be like "oh. Shit." Although if they were doing it to boycott Monsanto specifically, they would be pleased.

Im new to forums. I responded to 'Lerxst' with a long paragraph but it is not there. My response to 'This is only temporary is.' why is this?

Also I'd like to add that I don't think that everyone needs to think STEM is the greatest thing ever and dedicate their lives to it. But I most certainly think people should place it far above accumulating numbers in a bank account. A system that thrives on tricking other people (capitalism) vs. a system that thrives on collaboration (STEM)?? I mean really.

This statement tells me your only source of information is a documentary made by a human. A human who wants to make a point. What you don't realize is its a very small percent of GMO's that are causing problems. And that is because people use them irresponsibly, immorally, and imperialistically. Obviously antibiotics and probiotics exist in nature. We, however, have increased the effectiveness of many of them by more than 1000% (not a typo). These GMO's are never released into nature and therefore cannot possibly have ecological effects. Making antibiotics and probiotics is just what I do. So many other drugs use them as well. To say you could avoid all this sickness by proper diet and exercise is absurd.
Thanks for your response

We are are humans, even scientists and genius'. I have great respect for the scientific method, but I have come to terms that 'science' and scientists are fallible and human. Our perception is always subjective, never completely objective or holistic, and as you already stated, the game today is all about the money. Unfortunately science is not immune or insulated from this effect, afterall someone needs to fund research, most often for a profitable cause. Unfortuantely many people can be bought, although there are a few that will never compromise their integrity and care simply about truth and knowlege.

I do think that it is possible to avoid all sickness through lifestyle, diet and exercise, but I am well and truly biased. i am studying naturopathy. I dont subscribe to the othordox conception and understanding of illness and medicine. I find it deeply flawed and unhelpful. I do think that orthodox medicine has its place, Im still working on integrating my understanding of these two different models and approaches.

I do think there is some potential for GMO, albeit not in the current framework. Do you think its possible for GMO to be grown in a completely isolated way so it would not interrupt biodiversity? (Just assuming that people can stop being greedy)

It is a shame that our current society is so reliant on intellectual property. I believe that science would flourish in a society without intellectual property. I want open source science. I dont think that things will stay this way forever, inevitably, eventually we will evolve, and creater better, efficient and more functional societies.

Anytime (and I do mean ANYTIME) you take something that doesn't naturally occur or exist in a certain from, and create a situation where we have to live with it, life suffers. Fossil fuels buried in the earth for millions of years get dug up and burned = greenhouse gasses and carcinogens being pumped into the atmosphere. Strip mines, uranium mining, oil shale mining, etc remove thousands of tons of "waste" from safely underground and then let it sit, exposed to our atmosphere and seep into the water table (which it was safely hidden beneath before being disturbed).

So, now what happens when we play these same games with our food supply?

Like it or not, you are a pawn. All of this science you dedicate yourself to is run 100% for political reasons. You might hate politics, but unless you fix that issue first, you'll get nowhere. In terms of your analogy, the government is the father and you're the 5 year old with the loaded weapon. You can either sit here and argue back and forth about how that little kid should handle the weapon, or you can go to the father and fix the problem from the source. The fact that you see this, yet you willingly commit yourself to continuing to be part of that problem is quite sad...

PS - Einstein pioneered the research into the field and created the theory that allowed Oppenheimer to create the weapon.

Im new to forums. I responded to 'Lerxst' with a long paragraph but it is not there. My response to 'This is only temporary is.' why is this?

Because for some reason the bulletin board program this forum is using - tagged it as a Moderated Post and one of the Staff had to approve it. Is it still missing? I do not have a notification telling me it is still waiting for approval.

I hope you didn't get "tripped up" by it. After a new poster makes a few posts - that function of the program stops and you are free to post anywhere in the forum.

Because for some reason the bulletin board program this forum is using - tagged it as a Moderated Post and one of the Staff had to approve it. Is it still missing? I do not have a notification telling me it is still waiting for approval.

Its there, thank you. Sorry, I'm new at this.

We are are humans, even scientists and genius'. I have great respect for the scientific method, but I have come to terms that 'science' and scientists are fallible and human. Our perception is always subjective, never completely objective or holistic, and as you already stated, the game today is all about the money. Unfortunately science is not immune or insulated from this effect, afterall someone needs to fund research, most often for a profitable cause. Unfortuantely many people can be bought, although there are a few that will never compromise their integrity and care simply about truth and knowlege.

I basically agree with all you've said here. Science is definitely not infallible. The good thing about science however, is that if you follow the scientific method, your results are entirely unbiased. If they are biased, it will most certainly turn up in peer review. As far as science being corrupted by money, I cannot deny this, but I do not think ceasing progress is the answer. The problem is what people don't understand, scares them. Thus we get art (i.e. documentaries), religion, etc in an attempt to better understand the world. We know why certain GMO's are causing ecological problems. Its not a mystery to people in the industry and it could be fixed with science. But that would not be financially beneficial, at least not MORE beneficial than what they are currently doing.

Although I disagree with many tenants in naturopathy, including that you can avoid all sickness (much sickness, yes!) with proper diet, I certainly respect your view, and would certainly give any experiment you've done credibility. Thats the great thing about science, is that with the introduction of new evidence, my opinions can change, unlike when people have a "feeling" or a "belief"

Do you think its possible for GMO to be grown in a completely isolated way so it would not interrupt biodiversity? (Just assuming that people can stop being greedy)

Yes. There are however, always unknowns. There will always be something that was missed. However, there is always corrective action that can be taken. Just look at the history of chirality in the pharmaceutical industry. Science caused death because of something that was overlooked. That problem now NEVER arises through that mechanism. But then again, it was financially beneficial to correct THAT problem. Chiral drugs have saved millions and killed a few hundred (in the beginning. They kill 0 today, but are still saving millions). Its an unfortunate learning curve for the greater good.

It is a shame that our current society is so reliant on intellectual property. I believe that science would flourish in a society without intellectual property. I want open source science. I dont think that things will stay this way forever, inevitably, eventually we will evolve, and creater better, efficient and more functional societies.

We're on the same page in this respect

Anytime (and I do mean ANYTIME) you take something that doesn't naturally occur or exist in a certain from, and create a situation where we have to live with it, life suffers. Fossil fuels buried in the earth for millions of years get dug up and burned = greenhouse gasses and carcinogens being pumped into the atmosphere. Strip mines, uranium mining, oil shale mining, etc remove thousands of tons of "waste" from safely underground and then let it sit, exposed to our atmosphere and seep into the water table (which it was safely hidden beneath before being disturbed).

Yes. Animals have done this throughout history. They thrive, as a result, their food supply shortens, or possibly goes extinct, and if they are not able to overcome this they too go extinct. Humans are FAR from the first species to significantly alter the ecology in which they live. For example, the reason that we have an atmosphere or ozone in the first place. If we don't change the way science is being implemented, things will turn out bad for us. But with science comes good as well.

Like it or not, you are a pawn. All of this science you dedicate yourself to is run 100% for political reasons. You might hate politics, but unless you fix that issue first, you'll get nowhere. In terms of your analogy, the government is the father and you're the 5 year old with the loaded weapon. You can either sit here and argue back and forth about how that little kid should handle the weapon, or you can go to the father and fix the problem from the source. The fact that you see this, yet you willingly commit yourself to continuing to be part of that problem is quite sad...

Given that your ideology is much more powerful than your practical knowledge on this topic (which as an INFJ is something I can understand) I will explain MY philosophies to you, since you are arguing philosophically rather than scientifically. However this will be my last response in this thread unless it is directly related to GMO.

Yes. I can be called a pawn. In fact ANYONE who has a job is a pawn. Even people who are self employed are pawns, they just may not have the depth to realize it. Your comment about fixing the politics literally made me LOL. You are clearly such an idealist that you don't understand the magnitude of what it would take to fix this system. Imperialism is imbedded so deep within the leadership of the world, that the ONLY thing that can stop it is a VIOLENT revolution. It CANNOT be changed within the law. They are the law. They are the judge, jury, executioner. So, your question boils down to why don't I start a violent revolution? The answer is I am too comfortable in life. My house sits on 20 acres (I have not mortgage), I have more than one car, more than one motorcycle, farming equipment, I have a greenhouse and a garden where I grow most of my own produce (Some of them with GM seeds! Gasp!), I raise my own poultry, I built a pond just last year where I raise and stock fish that I eat, I have a room full of firearms and ammunition (I'm an avid hunter. In fact thats the only meat that I eat with the exception of previously mentioned fish/poultry because of the fact that they put known carcinogens in our meat to maintain freshness). My house is rigged with solar panels and a large diesel generator. I can't remember the last time my electric bill was more than $15. I have well water, but a river runs through my property, so if I ever needed to, I could purify my own water. The point is, I rely on society much less than most people, and thats how I like it.

So I won't start a violent revolution, but I do however try to improve humanity. My neighbor is a mechanical/electrical engineer and has been my friend for about 20 years. Together we have built a home laboratory and do research that is completely self-funded. We are trying to develop more efficient water purification systems. We will probably never succeed on our budget, but given our resources have had great success. In the unlikely event we make an efficient, cost effective water purifier (for large scale systems) you can bet your ass we will be getting a patent lawyer. We do not have the resources to mass produce something like this, so it would need to be done by a company. However our patent stipulation would be that not a single person can profit from its sales. If it ever happens, you will most certainly hear about it. Any company that would do this means they justified the great expense as a great opportunity for positive PR. But then again, we are SO far from success. Its more of a hobby than a business.

Being such an idealist like your self is good, as long as you know where to draw the line between ideals and practicality. You evidently, do not. What do you do to fix the system other than talk about it? This is rhetorical of course.

Although I understand your analogy where I am a pawn, I disagree with it. I have more than a decade of research experience AFTER writing my PhD thesis. I have come a long way in the company I work at and in my general knowledge of biochemical processes. I supervise several laboratories. A pawn would imply I could be easily replaced by somebody else. Although I could most certainly be replaced, it would not be easy, like say, if I were the general manager of a retail store, a firefighter/policeman, a mailman, etc. That may not be a politically correct thing to say, but its the truth. During my time in the military, I acknowledged I was a mere pawn. I was ok with that. In my analogy, I would be more like a bishop, and jobs which were just mentioned would be pawns. If we are going to use your analogy however, than we need to invent a new concept in chess where there are prisoners. That is where the majority of the world would be, most likely including yourself.

You clearly misunderstood my analogy with the father and the gun. Scientists were the father because they know how to use the tool. The child, does not know how to use the tool.

I'm disappointed you feel scientists are part of the problem, because its fear like that that will ultimately hold society back.

PS - Einstein pioneered the research into the field and created the theory that allowed Oppenheimer to create the weapon.

Oh yea, I also meant to say that I'm glad you can make the connection that ALL science builds upon previous knowledge. Thats a VERY important connection to make, but you should still credit the right people. Granted Einstein did directly work on the Manhattan Project, but it would have likely gotten done without him. If you're going to credit Einstein rather than Oppenheimer, you might as well credit Maxwell too, since Einstein's entire career including his famous E=mc2 equation were based on the Maxwell experiments.