Glo, the Polyphonic Whale | INFJ Forum

Glo, the Polyphonic Whale

It's so cool that you can change the sounds it makes with environmental influence.

I used to be way into white noise machine type stuff until I moved to my giant white noise machine home.

It's so cool that you can change the sounds it makes with environmental influence.

I used to be way into white noise machine type stuff until I moved to my giant white noise machine home.
So I got this for 2 days now, it's a very very fascinating piece of equipment. Because it combines meditations sounds with environmental sounds. It's fun to experiment with.

So I got this for 2 days now, it's a very very fascinating piece of equipment. Because it combines meditations sounds with environmental sounds. It's fun to experiment with.

That sounds really interesting and fun.

Reactions: David54
That sounds really interesting and fun.
Ooh yes it is, was experimenting with it at work, nothing like hearing the harmonics of the sneeze of a colleague in the background. :grin:

In all seriousness though, this thing is fun to experiment with random sounds, high pitched sounds especially (like tapping / clicking a pen) gets interesting results.
And I think with how it works that this would be the ultimate relaxation buddy when hiking alone in the woods. Sit / Lie somewhere near a stream, put this thing on and relax.
It's a Meditative + ASMR (4 high end microphones spread in different directions) + sonic experience.

@dragulagu – You're almost persuading me to get one. (I need to think about it.)
We have a stream, the wind actually whistles when going through trees, tons of woodpeckers, crows and ravens, howling coyotes, etc, so I'm getting curious to hear how they would be interpreted.

Reactions: Daustus and David54
@dragulagu – You're almost persuading me to get one. (I need to think about it.)
We have a stream, the wind actually whistles when going through trees, tons of woodpeckers, crows and ravens, howling coyotes, etc, so I'm getting curious to hear how they would be interpreted.

I got some time available tomorrow, so I'll make a video or Soundcloud for you with some sounds so you can hear how it works.

Reactions: Asa and Daustus
Video / Soundcloud (have to check what works best) will be up tomorrow, Asa.

@Asa , here's a Soundcloud of the Glo, I've gone through the different basic sound settings, so that can give a bit of a first impression on how it works.
A Tibetan singing bowl and a kalimba are working as environmental sounds (and a bit of tapping with the finger), so that's what you hear through all of it.

The video is on its way (it's new for me so it's a bit of experimenting with video editing),
but it will give a better impression on how it works as a ASMR / Meditation box (got an idea on how to simulate the outside woods / rivers).
The cool thing is that it also does have Nature sounds already playing inside the box so that's what you are hearing as well.

@dragulagu - I finally got time to listen to this. How interesting. The water, birds, etc, are in the instrument? And it has some kind of reverb mechanism.

The first part, I expected. The second part sounds freaky! It's like Sci Fi fantasy music. I like the third part best. It reminds me of an installation artist I saw in 1991 or 1992 but I can't find that artist anywhere online. :( If I do I'll post.

@dragulagu - I finally got time to listen to this. How interesting. The water, birds, etc, are in the instrument? And it has some kind of reverb mechanism.

The first part, I expected. The second part sounds freaky! It's like Sci Fi fantasy music. I like the third part best. It reminds me of an installation artist I saw in 1991 or 1992 but I can't find that artist anywhere online. :( If I do I'll post.

Yep, all the sounds come from it (with the exception of what I've put in the mic) and you can turn it over and around as well to alter the sound, so there's some dynamic in it. Some reverb, some echo, some granular stuff. It's interesting to work with. For the artist, you do you mean one of those demo scene artists ? Perhaps I can help on that (depends on what installation).

Reactions: Asa
It's a really cool instrument!

This artist had a solo installation at a major museum in 91 or 92. I thought his name was Wilson (maybe Williams), but can't find anything that fits. It was a big, dark room filled with modern sculptures that moved and lit up. The mechanisms made sounds that were similar to the whale. As students we got into the museum for free, so we went to this exhibit often.

Reactions: dragulagu