Gendered traits, qualities, or emotions | INFJ Forum

Gendered traits, qualities, or emotions

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, I was thinking this morning about the types of qualities we have and how they are perceived. As well as how they affect how we see and treat each other.

For example, strength, firmness, toughness, and persistence are often seen as masculine traits while compassion, pity, sensitivity, acceptance, and openness are considered feminine traits.

Now, it's not really that we are being intentionally sexist in our understanding of human emotions or traits but because of our social history, we are socialized to think of particular traits or emotions in these terms without consciously realizing that we are understanding them in this way.

I'm curious about the effects this gendered understanding has on our attitudes or behavior.

Discuss :)

I would think that this would have the biggest effect on F males and T females. It must be especially difficult for any F males who live in a macho society or T females who are situated in an area with strong conventional beliefs.

I'm not sure if it has effected my personality. I don't see sensitivity or caring as being sissy in a man but at the same time I'm reluctant to show them. It's interesting how certain women who have masculine traits are viewed, such as Jodie Foster who is considered a lesbian by many even without the slightest bit of evidence.

Women's bodies are different to men's bodies. They literally have to feed their infant offspring from themselves. I don't think it's sexist to say that women are more sensitive (perceptive to the needs of others), or that they are more selfish (in terms of expecting to receive from others). These things are biologically necessary for a woman to successfully pass her genes on, by raising her own infants. A mother has to be sensitive to the needs of an infant, if it is not to starve, and to look after an infant properly she must look after herself.

These things aren't so necessary in men and so the prevalence of sensitivity and selfishness (in the form of taking for oneself) is less than in women. However, for men to successfully pass their genes on, by ensuring the survival of their offspring, are very easily moved by the expressed, or perceived needs of their mate. (Men being wrapped around their wife's little finger/p**** whipped, etc.).

Reactions: Nixie
Compassion, pity, sensitivity, acceptance, and openness can be tough and useful traits too. But I don't see these as feminine traits. A man wouldn't be considered less of a man in my book for having any of these traits. I get that "this person is a bitch" feeling when I notice the person is hiding their true selves from me. I'm generally more forgiving with younger people who may still be trying to figure themselves out. But if you're over the age of 25 and you still can't be yourself then you're wack sauce homie. And I'm not talking about people who are genuinely shy, I'm talking about lies and deliberate misrepresentation of your true self. That's the only bitch trait IMO.

Also it's a total misconception that the F trait is fem and the T trait is masculine. The "warrior gene" and the F function go together (my hypothesis).

Do you think it works the other way as well? Like if someone sees themselves as different, then could they consciously or subconsciously take on more traits associated with the opposite gender so that they seem more different to others as an expression of themselves wanting to be seen as unique? I can kind of see how people use that as a way to "rebel" against social norms in any way that they can, like how some girls act tomboyish or some guys express their more sensitive/bitchlike sides.

I also can see how some people would try to use these "accepted traits" associated with their gender, and play them up when they are insecure about themselves or want to overshadow another part of themselves that they deem inadequate. People do it to the point of over-exaggeration sometimes. It is interesting how much some people define themselves and their worth by gender roles.

I personally do not think a lot of traits are actually gendered in any meaningful way and originate from cultural associations. I would agree some are definitely tied to our biology, as @Flavus Aquila outlined. I see the strongest trait associated with "maleness" in this way as physical competition, and with "femaleness" as selfishness.

Reactions: endersgone