Gender and protective instincts | INFJ Forum

Gender and protective instincts

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Are there still clear distinctions based on gender in how we show or demonstrate natural protective instincts towards people, culture, and society? If so, how and why?

Reactions: aeon
The woman protects the family and the man protects the family. What are your questions?

Reactions: jyrffw54 and acd
I'm unclear as to what exactly you are asking.

I also give very little credit to instincts since humans have evolved beyond them. I am not at all maternal, that instinct is just not in me...but I'm still a damn good mother.

I'm unclear as to what exactly you are asking.

I also give very little credit to instincts since humans have evolved beyond them. I am not at all maternal, that instinct is just not in me...but I'm still a damn good mother.

mother me

I think there is, yes. For the longest time the Canadian military (and maybe other militaries) have not allowed woman to be in combat situations (whatever the technical term is) because it's apparently a lot harder for males to see females hurt/dying/injured, as apposed to seeing other males hurt/dying/injured (note: it's still obviously incredibly hard to see ANYONE like that, but apparently it's harder for them to see women like that- and obviously this wouldn't necessarily apply to everyone).

And as for maternal instinct... Yeah, I'll mother just about anything that I deem helpless/adorable/young/whatever. But that could be because I've spent a lot of time around baby critters and such. I'm not a mother, but I've "midwived" a lot of animals into this world!

It really depends on the person, but I definitely do not think our instincts have just disappeared; we still use them in this society, some of them, anyway.

Reactions: Gaze
I think there is, yes. For the longest time the Canadian military (and maybe other militaries) have not allowed woman to be in combat situations (whatever the technical term is) because it's apparently a lot harder for males to see females hurt/dying/injured, as apposed to seeing other males hurt/dying/injured (note: it's still obviously incredibly hard to see ANYONE like that, but apparently it's harder for them to see women like that- and obviously this wouldn't necessarily apply to everyone).

And as for maternal instinct... Yeah, I'll mother just about anything that I deem helpless/adorable/young/whatever. But that could be because I've spent a lot of time around baby critters and such. I'm not a mother, but I've "midwived" a lot of animals into this world!

It really depends on the person, but I definitely do not think our instincts have just disappeared; we still use them in this society, some of them, anyway.

Relevant examples. My theory is that we're often asked to suppress or ignore those natural instincts because they go against modern perceptions of gender. For example, I do believe men's protective instincts are different from women's protective instincts. This doesn't mean one gender is less or more protective or weaker. Don't think these differences in instincts mean one gender has to dominate or be submissive to the other, or feel less capable so the other can feel strong. I think it means we were each given different instincts, and those differences do play out in how we relate to each other.

I more easily feel effective compassion for women and children, than I do for other adult males... perhaps very elderly males get my compassion automatically as well.

(Effective compassion = compassion + the desire to help).

* As a side-note, on reflection, perhaps in the past, I have been biased to prefer male candidates for highly stressful jobs, because I don't care as much about how it might affect them. Ultimately, I'm more task oriented, so the job mattered more, so the most competent person would have gotten the job, but I can't say there were different background thoughts. (Compassion can perhaps have a downside).

I more easily feel effective compassion for women and children, than I do for other adult males... perhaps very elderly males get my compassion automatically as well.

(Effective compassion = compassion + the desire to help).

* As a side-note, on reflection, perhaps in the past, I have been biased to prefer male candidates for highly stressful jobs, because I don't care as much about how it might affect them. Ultimately, I'm more task oriented, so the job mattered more, so the most competent person would have gotten the job, but I can't say there were different background thoughts. (Compassion can perhaps have a downside).

Is this because you didn't feel comfortable putting a woman in a high stress position because you felt guilty with the thought of putting them in a high stress situation i.e. similar to a more threatening situation? Would it bother you more and were you more protective or concerned for a woman's welfare when she was in high stress position? Did it feel like you were putting her in a less safe situation and that didn't feel right to you?

Is this because you didn't feel comfortable putting a woman in a high stress position because you felt guilty with the thought of putting them in a high stress situation i.e. similar to a more threatening situation? Would it bother you more and were you more protective or concerned for a woman's welfare when she was in high stress position? Did it feel like you were putting her in a less safe situation and that didn't feel right to you?
Taking your questions as speculative, I'd say that they're a fair approximation of my feelings.

Practically, I'd be more aware of, and thus more likely to be solicitous of stress preventative, or remediative factors with women, than with men. (I hate admitting bias).

Are there still clear distinctions based on gender in how we show or demonstrate natural protective instincts towards people, culture, and society? If so, how and why?
per gender, it's decreasing more and more. And I think it's a very good thing.

per individual, yes. Some women are best kicking ass and taking names. Some men are best at home, caring for people. Roles are there and it's OKAY-- but it's not something that should be forced per gender.