Gender and protective instincts | INFJ Forum

Gender and protective instincts

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Gaze, Dec 5, 2016.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by Gaze
  1. Gaze

Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Are there still clear distinctions based on gender in how we show or demonstrate natural protective instincts towards people, culture, and society? If so, how and why?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    The woman protects the family and the man protects the family. What are your questions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jyrffw54 and acd like this.
  3. Jet

Jet The Token Extravert

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w2
    I'm unclear as to what exactly you are asking.

I also give very little credit to instincts since humans have evolved beyond them. I am not at all maternal, that instinct is just not in me...but I'm still a damn good mother.

jyrffw54 and CindyLou like this.
  4. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1

mother me

jyrffw54, Littlelissa and Jet like this.
  5. Jet

Jet The Token Extravert

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w2
    If you are sick I will! I love doting on sickly people. The rest of the time people can make their own damn sandwiches ;)

jyrffw54 and Littlelissa like this.
  6. Hoodie

Hoodie Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Err
    I think there is, yes. For the longest time the Canadian military (and maybe other militaries) have not allowed woman to be in combat situations (whatever the technical term is) because it's apparently a lot harder for males to see females hurt/dying/injured, as apposed to seeing other males hurt/dying/injured (note: it's still obviously incredibly hard to see ANYONE like that, but apparently it's harder for them to see women like that- and obviously this wouldn't necessarily apply to everyone).

And as for maternal instinct... Yeah, I'll mother just about anything that I deem helpless/adorable/young/whatever. But that could be because I've spent a lot of time around baby critters and such. I'm not a mother, but I've "midwived" a lot of animals into this world!

It really depends on the person, but I definitely do not think our instincts have just disappeared; we still use them in this society, some of them, anyway.

Gaze likes this.
  7. OP
    Gaze

Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Relevant examples. My theory is that we're often asked to suppress or ignore those natural instincts because they go against modern perceptions of gender. For example, I do believe men's protective instincts are different from women's protective instincts. This doesn't mean one gender is less or more protective or weaker. Don't think these differences in instincts mean one gender has to dominate or be submissive to the other, or feel less capable so the other can feel strong. I think it means we were each given different instincts, and those differences do play out in how we relate to each other.

Enkidu, Hoodie and Jet like this.
  8. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    I more easily feel effective compassion for women and children, than I do for other adult males... perhaps very elderly males get my compassion automatically as well.

(Effective compassion = compassion + the desire to help).

* As a side-note, on reflection, perhaps in the past, I have been biased to prefer male candidates for highly stressful jobs, because I don't care as much about how it might affect them. Ultimately, I'm more task oriented, so the job mattered more, so the most competent person would have gotten the job, but I can't say there were different background thoughts. (Compassion can perhaps have a downside).

Gaze likes this.
  9. OP
    Gaze

Gaze My word . . . hmm
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Is this because you didn't feel comfortable putting a woman in a high stress position because you felt guilty with the thought of putting them in a high stress situation i.e. similar to a more threatening situation? Would it bother you more and were you more protective or concerned for a woman's welfare when she was in high stress position? Did it feel like you were putting her in a less safe situation and that didn't feel right to you?

10. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    Taking your questions as speculative, I'd say that they're a fair approximation of my feelings.

Practically, I'd be more aware of, and thus more likely to be solicitous of stress preventative, or remediative factors with women, than with men. (I hate admitting bias).

Gaze likes this.
  11. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    per gender, it's decreasing more and more. And I think it's a very good thing.

per individual, yes. Some women are best kicking ass and taking names. Some men are best at home, caring for people. Roles are there and it's OKAY-- but it's not something that should be forced per gender.

Gaze likes this.