Gem or other stone carving or sculpting | INFJ Forum

Gem or other stone carving or sculpting

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Anyone here does stone carving or sculpting, gems or otherwise for hobby or career? What type do you do, and how did you get started?

This isn't something that I do, but I think it's really interesting. Carvings and jewellery made from avocado seeds/pits.

0be4d807cdedfb34debaa2c29634f5ff--avocado-stone-carving-avocado-pits.jpg

61f80b93e4ddc98108369bda0b230e28--avocado-seed-fruit-carvings.jpg

Many people have started up through Etsy, gathering a few pieces to sell and grow from there depending on their demand. I'm not sure exactly how that works though. Hitting up @Skarekrow here because he's actually done the whole start-up thing. Let's pick his brain! :grinning:

I'm not a sculptor, either. I have friends who are, and one of them works with marble. It's amazing.
I have one friend who is a professional engraver (who works for various jewelers) and several friends who make jewelry professionally, but none carve gems. All the jewelers buy their gems pre-shaped.

Reactions: Gaze and Free
This isn't something that I do, but I think it's really interesting. Carvings and jewellery made from avocado seeds/pits.

View attachment 37619

View attachment 37620

Many people have started up through Etsy, gathering a few pieces to sell and grow from there depending on their demand. I'm not sure exactly how that works though. Hitting up @Skarekrow here because he's actually done the whole start-up thing. Let's pick his brain! :grinning:
Ooooohhhh....I will have to try carving an avocado pit with my Dremel tool!
That’s a good idea!

View attachment 37619

View attachment 37620

That looks really cool. *in we* So creative. Not sure I could do the face designs but would be cool to try. Maybe carving leaves or geometric designs.

I'm not a sculptor, either. I have friends who are, and one of them works with marble. It's amazing.
I have one friend who is a professional engraver (who works for various jewelers) and several friends who make jewelry professionally, but none carve gems. All the jewelers buy their gems pre-shaped.

That's pretty cool. I was thinking about what kinds of tools it would take to shape a gem. Looked on youtube and it's quite process. Not sure I'm ready to go right into it, but I'm curious.

Ooooohhhh....I will have to try carving an avocado pit with my Dremel tool!
That’s a good idea!

Nice! Please share when you can. :)