French Cinema | INFJ Forum

French Cinema

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
In undergrad, i took a few film classes, and we're exposed to the more classic french cinema. It was interesting but never something very personally interesting.

But for some reason, french dramatic cinema is intriguing. The use of silence, fewer close ups, more long shots and less pov shots. The emphasis on the entire mise-en-scene rather than the pov of one character or the ability to convey pov by focus on character looks. The use of eye line matches between characters in a relationship to convey intimacy. The ability to convey emotion through the use of dark or realist cinematography.

So, what do you like or dislike about French cinema?

The attitude in french dramatic or romantic cinema seems to be "whatever, i don't care, do what you want, doesn't bother me . . . c'est la vie, non?"

Last edited:
They always find a reason to put naked women in it.
Even in kid movies.

"Hi Jojo the squirrel, let's play soccer! Friends forever!"
"Okay, I'm going to find a naked human and we'll start"

They always find a reason to put naked women in it.
Even in kid movies.

"Hi Jojo the squirrel, let's play soccer! Friends forever!"
"Okay, I'm going to find a naked human and we'll start"

Yeah, i guess it's their way of trying to make the audience more desensitized to nudity or to not romanticize it. Not that i agree with the use of so many nude scenes, but US cinema for example, tends to romanticize every thing, even a look (which i don't mind), while french cinema wants the audience to see the human body in all it's glory or beauty, or as normal, without all the glamor. I like the fact that the bodies they use in film have human imperfections, not the smoothest skin, some with wrinkles, and that they are not the most attractive figures. I also appreciate that the sex scenes are not necessarily masterful or perfect.

In American films, most sex scenes involve actors/actresses made to look like models or supermodels since apparently only "beautiful" people have sex or sex between beautiful people must always be amazing or good. :p

So, I like the realism of French cinema.

Last edited: