Freedom of Expression vs Decency

not sure

On Holiday
Feb 10, 2011
MBTI
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I am a supporter of Freedom of Expression particularly political expression. I do believe in limited censorship of the airwaves but that is not the issue here.

I've noticed a trend in society away from decency. When indecency is challenged Freedom of Expression is hauled out in its defence. I think there is a general increase in society's crudeness because decency is not as well defended as Freedom of Expression. This is a topic I haven't thought about much so I am more interested in hearing your ideas than expressing my poorly formed ones. Here are my questions:

• In your society, what is decency?
  • Is an indecent society a more stressful society?
  • Should decency be protected by law?
  • Should it be protected by other means and how?
  • Is decency an antiquated concept that we need to let go?

You should check out the thread on Hyper-Individualism. I think that there could be a connection between what you wrote here and what I posted on that thread. I also think that decency is an idea that is paired with social morals and ethics.

Not everyone will communicate the same way. Intentions are not necessarily ill even if one comes off a certain way. Sure, I think there are some morals we can all agree to with some universal clarity such as murder. Even the Geneva convention outlines war crimes