Free little libraries...

udremeei

Community Member
Sep 8, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9 ; inst. 6w5
http://www.utne.com/blogs/blog.aspx?control=update&blogid=2147483710&id=2147491096

I love the idea of these little libraries, and wish that there were some near me. They seem like a relatively recent idea, though, so I might just have to wait...

Being that I read a lot, I would totally 'lend' a few books to the libraries, just out of curiosity to see which ones come back, and which ones stay gone.

How about you? What do you think of the idea of free little libraries? Would you 'lend' books?

The problem with something that runs on the honor system like such, is that it only takes a very small minority of people to fuck it all up.

Also, it seems that regular libraries can do a far superior job.

The problem with something that runs on the honor system like such, is that it only takes a very small minority of people to fuck it all up.

Also, it seems that regular libraries can do a far superior job.

come on princess. looking at things like that never helped anyone get out of bed.

I very much like the idea of this. I doubt it would ever make it to where I live but I would definitely participate if it did. It would be interesting to see what books appeared and if there was a trend in the community of the type of books.

I wonder if most people would leave books they no longer wished to have, books they most certainly enjoyed or something in between.

I also wonder if there would be graphic novels, paperbacks and magazines or just books. Very interesting...

They have a website where you can actually 'buy' a little library. They're expensive (~$300), but anyone can get one and set it up.

If I had the money, I would absolutely consider it.

And as to what books there are inside of them, well... That's up to the person who creates and maintains the little library, right?

About the 'small minority of people' who could fuck things up- what's the worst that could happen? They take all the books, do something stupid with them.. Maybe they break the library itself? Books are replaceable. Little libraries can be re-made.

What matters, I think, is the enjoyment the people outside of that 'small minority' get out of it. The benefit that a little thing like this can cause to society. :)

They have a website where you can actually 'buy' a little library. They're expensive (~$300), but anyone can get one and set it up.
[MENTION=3255]Last[/MENTION] can make you one for $299.

About the 'small minority of people' who could fuck things up- what's the worst that could happen? They take all the books, do something stupid with them.. Maybe they break the library itself? Books are replaceable. Little libraries can be re-made.

What matters, I think, is the enjoyment the people outside of that 'small minority' get out of it. The benefit that a little thing like this can cause to society. :)
Yeah it depends. If you have assholes fucking up your shit every week, then it's not going to work. If it's a once a year thing, maybe it's worth it to you. It's your money.

Omg that's so cute!

Ofc I'd only put my less valuable books in there lol

honestly who gives a shit if some assholes steal all the books every time. what's the worst they're going to do? use them as toilet paper? sell them for a shitty price? even if they sell them, someone's going to read them, and the library's purpose will be fulfilled.

Reactions: udremeei
[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]: I totally agree. :D I can't think of a place to put one, though! Putting one on the edge of my yard just seems like a bad idea (Kids + road = bad), and I'm not terribly down with the idea of going to a park's.. office? area? To ask if it's okay to put one there.

Still, the idea of these is just awesome. It makes me happy to think about. :)

If I had the money, I would absolutely consider it.

And as to what books there are inside of them, well... That's up to the person who creates and maintains the little library, right?

O_O I just sold a full size dresser for 350, they want 300 for that?

*rubs hands together*

Ooh, that's neat! I take it that you work with your hands very well?

I've always wanted to learn. :)

If you can do very well, maybe you should try contacting them and see if they'd put you on one of their lists (if there is such a thing) of approved vendors? :D

http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/order-a-little-library.html

I'd be the person who would place my copy of Fanny Hill in one...

Omg that's so cute!

Ofc I'd only put my less valuable books in there lol

honestly who gives a shit if some assholes steal all the books every time. what's the worst they're going to do? use them as toilet paper? sell them for a shitty price? even if they sell them, someone's going to read them, and the library's purpose will be fulfilled.

:D