Siamese cat

Madame Cat strikes again
Jan 29, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
What do you think about this?

I did biochemical testing for 349 foods, and got that I'm at the moment intolerant at approximately 250 completely, and about 50 are in the not ideal but allowed to eat group. I expected to get similar results, though not so restrictive, and am expected to stay on this programme for 3 months.

The reason I went for this testing is that I have severe migraines, feel fatigued and have hand and feet swelling, and I'd also like to lose some weight which has become increasingly hard in the last years. I did a blood-work, and some hormones tests, but all is good and within boundaries, and yet I feel crappy.

Does anybody have some experience with this testing? Do you think it has any merit at all?

Reactions: Kgal
I'm not properly tested, but I know I have real problems with grains. I feel most healthy when I cut them out of my diet altogether.

I did biochemical testing for 349 foods, and got that I'm at the moment intolerant at approximately 250 completely, and about 50 are in the not ideal but allowed to eat group. I expected to get similar results, though not so restrictive, and am expected to stay on this programme for 3 months.

The reason I went for this testing is that I have severe migraines, feel fatigued and have hand and feet swelling, and I'd also like to lose some weight which has become increasingly hard in the last years. I did a blood-work, and some hormones tests, but all is good and within boundaries, and yet I feel crappy.

Does anybody have some experience with this testing? Do you think it has any merit at all?

Wow, that is a high number of foods. I am as surprised as you are at the high number of food intolerances. I had something similar done, except with allergies. I turned out to be allergic to nuts. Later on, I also found out that I was lactose intolerant. When I cut nuts out of my diet, I felt less "puffy" and my sinuses went down. When I cut milk out of my diet, I also felt better and less sick (a malaise feeling and bad indigestion). I hope that you find the solution you are looking for that will help your migraines. Has staying on the programme helped any so far?

I've never been officially tested either, but I know I have a strong intolerance for seafood (both shellfish and fish, fun...).

As for the merit of the testing, I can't speak on behalf of it. I guess the best way to find out if it means anything is to try removing some of the foods from your diet to see if you feel better, but even that doesn't mean the tests are any more or less accurate...

One of the biggest food allergies that can act as a catalyst for other issues is dairy. Even if the lactose doesn't directly affect you, the nature of the milk itself (along with the hormones and antibiotics added) causes indirect side effects.

Wheat is another which I'm partially affects by - more of an intolerance than an allergy.

My wife went for the testing you're talking about and found those two along with some others as well.

yeah, grains and i do not agree, at all. they make me feel terribly, actually.

I did. Because of pains in stomach. It worked as longed as I stay strict tot the list of food. And yes, I lost some weight pretty quickly.

Thats strange. I am allergic to several things as well: I am allergic to wheat, wheat gluten, dairy [not lactose, but casein, the protein in milk.], artificial sweeteners, and I am sensitive to sugar.
If you need any tips or anything Siamese, let me know. I've had these allergies since I was three years old.

-Anna

Some vitamin deficiencies like B12 cause you to not lose weight. I have a definite issue with gluten. It is gone from my life forever more. And while it's kind of a hassle, your health is worth it.

Reactions: Siamese cat
I'm not properly tested, but I know I have real problems with grains. I feel most healthy when I cut them out of my diet altogether.

@Puck

I'm aware that I don't pay too much attention to signals my body sends me, and I rarely come to the conclusion that something is not good for me (unless it's painfully obvious) until someone else tells me.

Grains seem to be a problem for me, too.

Wow, that is a high number of foods. I am as surprised as you are at the high number of food intolerances. I had something similar done, except with allergies. I turned out to be allergic to nuts. Later on, I also found out that I was lactose intolerant. When I cut nuts out of my diet, I felt less "puffy" and my sinuses went down. When I cut milk out of my diet, I also felt better and less sick (a malaise feeling and bad indigestion). I hope that you find the solution you are looking for that will help your migraines. Has staying on the programme helped any so far?

@mochi

Thanks.

I guess it's like that because I lead mostly sedentary life style and tend to eat same types of food for a long time. I guess my body is tired of that kind of treatment.

This is my fourth day on the programme. I don't feel the need for food I used to eat, which is good. Great actually. I was in pain for the first three days (my legs hurt like hell), but I've been told that I need to push through that, and that my body is realising many toxins and will for a period of time. I've had a problem with gastritis and coughing because my throat got too sensitive, and this is so far the only thing where I see big improvement. I cough less and less, and though I occasionally need to take one Tums tablet, this is also getting better.

One of the biggest food allergies that can act as a catalyst for other issues is dairy. Even if the lactose doesn't directly affect you, the nature of the milk itself (along with the hormones and antibiotics added) causes indirect side effects.

Wheat is another which I'm partially affects by - more of an intolerance than an allergy.

My wife went for the testing you're talking about and found those two along with some others as well.

[MENTION=2890]Lerxst[/MENTION]

Yeah, well I've been told not to eat grains at all in any way, and except yoghurt (which is not the same food in the rest of Europe and USA and here) I shouldn't eat dairy in any kind too. I might be allowed after first three months, but we'll see.

Did it help your wife? Did she stick to the list they gave her?

Thats strange. I am allergic to several things as well: I am allergic to wheat, wheat gluten, dairy [not lactose, but casein, the protein in milk.], artificial sweeteners, and I am sensitive to sugar.
If you need any tips or anything Siamese, let me know. I've had these allergies since I was three years old.

-Anna

@Annabreher

I got a really strange combination. I'm not allowed to eat almost any meat, any grains, almost anything dairy, most of the vegetables and fruits. Also I got banned to eat sugar in any way except fructose a bit for tea, not even honey. What I'm left with are some algae, a number of fish, all oils and salt in any form, some very restricted vegetables and fruits. So it's somewhat similar to your situation. Any suggestions are welcome, of course, I'd like to know how you cope with it, do you ever break the rules and eat something from the banned list?

Some vitamin deficiencies like B12 cause you to not lose weight. I have a definite issue with gluten. It is gone from my life forever more. And while it's kind of a hassle, your health is worth it.

@lantern

I think I've read something about that link between B12 vitamin and weight. Finding the food is a huge hassle at the moment. Any suggestion? Do you cook for yourself? What do you do when you go to a restaurant?

I don't remember doing those food tests but after 3 months of not eating ice cream and drinking starbucks, I discovered that when I do eat something I haven't been eating my stomach hurts A LOT.

I just drank starbucks and ate ice cream a while ago :)) :)):m192:

@Siamese_cat

Do you mean the hard thing is currently finding foods without gluten? I mostly cook for myself and I now somewhat dread going out to eat, because it usually means just a salad at most restaurants. A lot of Asian places have rice-based foods which are fine, so those are pretty safe.

And yea being gluten free pretty much means cooking for yourself most of the time. I'm just kind of forced to be healthy now, which is ultimately better for my health...but takes more time. There is a whole isle at my local Bulk Barn for gluten free products though, and I'm ordering a cookbook ahha. It's all really for the better. There are ways around it, you just have to be prepared a lot of the time.

There are a lot of gluten free foods, but they are more expensive. And gluten free bread here in Ontario costs $6 so I bake my own. In a breadmaker.

You can use rice flours, chick pea flour...there are a lot of choices. You just need to devote the time to it. There's lots of stuff online. I'm not sure if I have Celiac Disease, but there's something going on. So maybe look into gluten sensitivities, allergies or Celiac....but if you know you don't feel right then that's the best proof you can get.

@Siamese_cat

Do you mean the hard thing is currently finding foods without gluten? I mostly cook for myself and I now somewhat dread going out to eat, because it usually means just a salad at most restaurants. A lot of Asian places have rice-based foods which are fine, so those are pretty safe.

And yea being gluten free pretty much means cooking for yourself most of the time. I'm just kind of forced to be healthy now, which is ultimately better for my health...but takes more time. There is a whole isle at my local Bulk Barn for gluten free products though, and I'm ordering a cookbook ahha. It's all really for the better. There are ways around it, you just have to be prepared a lot of the time.

There are a lot of gluten free foods, but they are more expensive. And gluten free bread here in Ontario costs $6 so I bake my own. In a breadmaker.

You can use rice flours, chick pea flour...there are a lot of choices. You just need to devote the time to it. There's lots of stuff online. I'm not sure if I have Celiac Disease, but there's something going on. So maybe look into gluten sensitivities, allergies or Celiac....but if you know you don't feel right then that's the best proof you can get.

Yeah, well I've been told not to eat grains at all in any way, and except yoghurt (which is not the same food in the rest of Europe and USA and here) I shouldn't eat dairy in any kind too. I might be allowed after first three months, but we'll see.

Did it help your wife? Did she stick to the list they gave her?

My wife and I have been vegan for a number of years to start with (No meat, no dairy, etc.) so that allergy was expected since you lose the enzymes needed to digest those things when you've stopped eating them for a while. There were no problem cutting them out since they weren't there to begin with.

My wife is also an ESTJ so once she had a set of rules to follow, she follows them to perfection... and then we end up arguing about them along the way :)

Once she cut out gluten, after about a month she started feeling the benefit in her digestion and overall mood.

@ Siamese cat, I rarely ever break rules. Once you realize how much those particular foods mess you up it seems sort of silly to ignore your body. I feel so much better now that all of these food groups are eliminated. I used to cheat a LOT more, and once I cut all of the junk out of my regular diet, I dropped 35 lbs in 5 months. I wanted to be like everyone else and ignored what the doctors told me.

-Anna

Last edited:
My wife and I have been vegan for a number of years to start with (No meat, no dairy, etc.) so that allergy was expected since you lose the enzymes needed to digest those things when you've stopped eating them for a while. There were no problem cutting them out since they weren't there to begin with.

My wife is also an ESTJ so once she had a set of rules to follow, she follows them to perfection... and then we end up arguing about them along the way :)

Once she cut out gluten, after about a month she started feeling the benefit in her digestion and overall mood.

No dairy?? How do you guys get calcium for strong bones/teeth .....

Perhaps there is some merit to this kind of food intollerance testing - but I would want to study the principles behind it, to know if there is at least some grounds to the claims being made.

I get the impression that there is an element of modern-day shaman-ry, or witch-doctor-y about it. Nevertheless, even in the old days, it is possible that at least some significant proportion of the herbs shamen or witch doctors would dole out were actually active and beneficial.

I would personally give it a go - but I would be dogged about trying to objectively observe whether there is any real or significant positive results.