Five songs: What do they say about you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Five songs: What do they say about you?

Great idea for a thread @Elder - it will take me some time to work through all the music that's been posted though!

I love music that takes me into a magic other world. This group have made gorgeous masterpieces out of their sephardic songs and instrumental numbers.

This is drop dead gorgeous and I've posted it before. I went to a convert by Julian Bream when I was at university and he played this as an encore - you could have heard a pin drop the atmosphere was so powerful. It brings back memories of those days to me.

This is the last track on The Cream album Disraeli Gears. It's funny of course, but this is one of the small number of LP albums we had on South Georgia island when I worked there for the British Antarctic Survey. Memories.

My dad's favourite jazz singer - do I need to say any more?

Don't know! ...... Ni says it's just right ...... :D

Love this look into some of the rooms in your life. The Breams performance touches me especially. That one in the one before feel like journeys into the unconcious. A picture to me of NI at work, perhaps. Since that Cream album was the only one you had during that period in your life, it’s symbolically loaded, of course. Then the inclusion of a song representing an aspect of your father enjoying life seems significant in someway, as well. The last song you shared when paired with all the others, adds great depth in what it could say about you.Thanks for sharing, John!

Last edited:
Love this look into some of the rooms in your life. The Breams performance touches me especially. That one in the one before feel like journeys into the unconcious. A picture to me of NI at work, perhaps. Since that Cream album was the only one you had during that period in your life, it’s symbolically loaded, of course. Then the inclusion of a song representing an aspect of your father enjoying life seems significant in someway, as well. The last song you shared when paired with all the others, adds great depth in what it could say about you.Thanks for sharing, John!
Thank you for your kind comments Erik :)
Do share some of your own journey here in music if you would like to.

Ok so here's my Green Day life story

edIted

In general, I’d say these songs say something about my relationship to music.

Although I’ve matured a lot in this area, understanding my emotions and fully experiencing them has been a generalized struggle in my life. I might feel powerful emotions much of the time, but tuning into them has taken a lot of work. I’ve found music to be naturally helpful in this area for me. I find music extremely emotive. I am drawn to music in a minor key. I am drawn to music with a lot of improvisation (guitar solos!)

For me, lyrics have usually been secondary to the music itself, but a couple ambiguous or relatable lines are often a powerful stimulus for my imagination to take off into my internal world — provided there aren’t other lyrics that are too specific or contrary to the place the key lyric takes me. The truth is a lot of the time I’m sort of disappointed in lyrics. Two of the songs I included here, though, are lyrically important to me.

1. Achilles Last Stand, by Led Zeppelin.

I came across this when I was about 13. The sound and feel of it blew me away. I know I’ve had many a welcome tear drawn out of me by this number — not knowing even what they were about. The lyrical fragments that I could make out in Robert Plant’s singing evoked images and sentiments in the undercurrents of my inner world.

2. Dark Decks, by Radiohead.

Another tune in that vein. The sound is mysterious and ethereal and the lyrical fragments that I’ve picked up on without having to read the lyrics have acted as image symbols for my unconscious to stir onto the surface, as well.

3. Bright as Yellow, The Innocence Mission.

This song speaks to the tension I have felt between introversion and extroversion in my life. Vulnerability vs protecting myself. Maintaining Privacy vs wanting to be an open book. The lyrics speak to extroverted openness and a sort of unguardedness. They inspire me, but that’s not really who I am. It’s taken a long time for me to come to terms with it being ok for me to be an introvert. Also, I love the atmosphere of this song. The guitars shimmer. It’s vibe speaks to the beauty of life. It’s wonderfully in a major key.

4. Mezzo, by the 77’s.

An instrumental tune by a band that has been very significant in my life. Mike Roe’s guitar playing has been one of the big influences on my own guitar style. Also, I identified strongly with Christianity in my younger days and the 77’s are a relatively underground alt-Christian band that I discovered while working at a Christian bookstore as a teenager. So this song speaks to that era of my life and the hugely important place Christianity has played in my journey — even though my path took me in a different direction. Much of Mike Roe’s music still resonates with me.

5. Ripple, by The Grateful Dead.

“Ripple in still water / Where there is no pebble tossed / No wind that blows…Let it be known there is a fountain / That was not built by the hands of men.” This song speaks to the spirituality that I have grown into over time — the kind of spirituality that feels right for me. It also speaks to my love of traditional bluegrass and country western music — not to mention my love for Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead :)

Last edited:
Ok so here's my Green Day life story

I finally got some time to listen! @ErikAlberto you're next, but be patient with me as I really want to listen and reflect.

Wyote, I was feeling you from beginning to end. I think you have arrived somewhere still aspirational for me, but it felt good to be there in song with you.

Thank you for sharing it here.

:<3:

Wyote, I was feeling you from beginning to end. I think you have arrived somewhere still aspirational for me, but it felt good to be there in song with you.

Thank you for sharing it here.

:3:

I hear similar comments with some level of regularity.
That's what I get for being raised by hippie yogi whackadoodles.
Come along, as we travel the cosmos!

That's what I get for being raised by hippie yogi whackadoodles.

Let's hear it for hippie yogi whackadoodles!

My kids call me a hippie, but I think I must bow to the prowess of the Wyote parents, if judged entirely by offspring. :grinning:

Space Coyote vibin
3c7e6ffea5c9400612aea5c5c79d1620.jpg
6fc652c51af6df9421417e08003dc4a8.jpg
c81e8156bda2cf1cac46df1242c1f10b.jpg

Reactions: Elder and aeon
@ErikAlberto

It took me long enough to get here, and I'm just going to trust the timing was exactly what it needed to be.

I had not read your post previous to today, because I wanted to experience the music without commentary.

What follows is my reflection of experience of each song as I allowed myself to sit in presence with you in song.

It was a journey, and one I am deeply grateful to have been allowed to take with you. Thank you.

. Achilles Last Stand, by Led Zeppelin.

There were places of wailing guitar and pounding beat that made me think of/feel deep sorrow protected at times by a raging energy.

Then in wordless singing a feel of unrestrained experimentation/exploration of sound in relationship to ear and air.

The end, sort of a melancholy rhythmic treading.

I felt it in my sinew

2. Dark Decks, by Radiohead.

The sparkling vibration. Spacecraft. Face in the glass. His voice and that rhythmic beat.

Mmmmhmmm...

3. Bright as Yellow, The Innocence Mission.

Bright as Yellow. Warm as Yellow. I just found myself, eyes closed, feet tapping out the rhythm and finger joining in on my arm, as my head swayed and a peaceful smile spread.

I imagined being at an outdoor summer concert knowing you were somewhere nearby on your own blanket. It felt good to share, even from a distance, a good song.

4. Mezzo, by the 77’s.

Heart sing. I could feel the tension in my chest, the smile on my lips, the easy peaceful sway. It feels like all is right in the world.

. Ripple, by The Grateful Dead.

The bits of lyrics I picked out had me going to look up the rest. Interesting this is a place you chose to highlight lyrics as part of your own experience.

Though I have seen your words here and observed your kindness, which I'm sure must have influenced my experience of the music you chose, hearing this song at the end of the previous selections had me thinking what a calm, and positive, and kind presence you must be for those fortunate enough to call you friend.

I found myself almost greedily wanting to go back to the beginning of the song journey to feel the easiness of it all again. It all felt like a country meadow with a warm gentle sun and cool breeze.

Thank you so much for sharing the gift of you in song. I feel honored to experience it.

:<3:

@Elder
I’m one of those lucky people who not only has siblings, but has a good relationship with them. It’s truly a gift. In answer to your post, I’d like to tell you about one of my sisters — I’ll call her June.

June is a lovey ENFJ and one of my best friends. She has a sensitive, warm, and exuberant presence. She has strong personal values and is very ethically minded. She feels deeply and has a way of really seeing things from other peoples perspective, easily. I’ve always felt uncommonly ‘seen’ by her. I was lucky to grow up with another NF-type in my family.

One aspect of our synergy that still surprises me is that I find myself being able to articulate things that feel beyond grasp when speaking to most others — and doing so well.

June is a gifted and writer of prose. She studied English in college and did some post-graduate work in linguistics. She’s rather poetic in her phrasing and in her choice of words. She utilizes punctuation in an intuitive and original way that brings to mind Emily Dickinson. One way she communicates her warmth and uniqueness to those that she loves, is by by referring to them as Dear One or Kindred. When I share something very vulnerable via text, she will sometimes begin her response to me with, beautiful brother. I mean no one does that, but it’s authentic and disarming coming from her.

June’s health is fragile — she has suffered from several autoimmune conditions since her early 20’s. We grew up with a narcissistic parent and part of me believes that her Illnesses have been related to her emotional sensitivity — as if she absorbed the cruelty into her digestive system. She is very much an empath.

Unfortunately, June and her husband live abroad and I don’t get to see her much. When June and I talk on the phone, which is usually only once every couple months, we both like to make it a long conversation. 2+ hours feels natural with her. I never few a sense of obligation with her — her graciousness with me is sincere. I never feel pressure to answer a text of hers quicker than what is natural for me, even though she usually answers mine in a couple hours.

I have a wonderful memory of June and I listening to the “Glow” album by the Innocence Mission back when the two of us were still living at our parents house. I had just bought the album and we listened to it for the first time together, mesmerized — pouring over Karen Peris’ lyrics and drinking tea.

You remind me a lot of my sister @Elder.

Thank you for listening to my playlist the way you did! That was a very special. Thank you for the sentiments that you shared and for your kindness. I really loved reading the reactions that you had to each of these songs — all of them thoughtful and poetic. I was very moved!

You are a remarkable person. Sending brotherly energy your way.

Erik

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon and Elder
@ErikAlberto, I could feel the beauty of your sister as you described her. I am honored to know her through you. I feel some "chosen family" building. :)

I am glad to know you, beautiful "chosen" brother. :hug: