Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Wild boar droves refuse to let Cologne dead rest in peace
Published: 18 Mar 2016 15:24 GMT+01:00
A drove of wild boar have horrified cemetery workers in Cologne by overturning the earth in a grisly search for essential protein.

The hogs rooted through almost the entire Ostfriedhof cemetery in the cathedral city's Dellbrück district in a bid to unearth delicious worms.
"They've been plaguing us for weeks. They haven't spared a single plot," one cemetery worker told Cologne's Express newspaper.
"The animals can't find good sources of protein in the woods at the moment," Manfred Kaune, head of the city's parks department, told the Kölner Wochenspiegel.
Although the workers have tried everything from burning incense to reinforcing fences to keep the wild swine away, nothing has so far proven effective at holding back their hunt for grubs.

The last resort was to form a human chain through the cemetery, using loud noises including gunshots, banging pots and pans and shouting through a megaphone to scare the hogs back into the forest.
Even that didn't work, leaving the puzzled humans to regroup and reflect on new tactics.
Cologne's town hall website offers advice on dealing with wild boar, which "have multiplied strongly and spread into outlying areas of the city" in recent years thanks to "favourable living conditions."

"Keep calm. Boars usually run away. Stand still, make yourself visible, don't run away but walk slowly backwards," the advice reads. "Leave the animals an avenue of escape."
Citizens are encouraged to call the police if a boar presents an immediate danger to the public.
Meanwhile, for securing outdoor areas against their intrusions, the city recommends an electric fence — perhaps the next upgrade for the cemetery.
http://www.thelocal.de/20160318/wild-boar-cause-havoc-in-cologne-graveyard

I'd be worried about them crashing into funerals to get at the body.

Well this has been a delightful read.
There was a disturbing Australian film from the 70's, or 80's I watched a couple of years ago called "Razorback" about an oversized boar, which would attack humans. *Shiver*

I hate pigs.

I feel like Hannibal is somehow involved here.

Only a matter of time before they get a taste of the living

Over population of an animal, kill them.
Boar meat is prized.

You are what you eat. Some meat is wonderfully good and some can be nasty.

Situations like these are best kept under wraps.

Why can't they find good sources of protein in the woods?

If they're concerned with them invading cemeteries for food... then why don't they try feeding them?

I'm sure the boars are plentiful, but they're wasting all this time, all these resources, banding together to fend off hungry pigs. Perhaps they could try making the pigs not hungry, if they are sufficiently worried.

Reactions: Wyote and PintoBean
Why can't they find good sources of protein in the woods?

If they're concerned with them invading cemeteries for food... then why don't they try feeding them?

I'm sure the boars are plentiful, but they're wasting all this time, all these resources, banding together to fend off hungry pigs. Perhaps they could try making the pigs not hungry, if they are sufficiently worried.

Fed pigs breed.

Fed pigs breed.

True. They're feeding anyway, though. They're just not eating what they want them to be eating. I suppose the electric fence might be a decent course of action.

Still, I've raised pigs on a farm before, they'll eat pretty much anything. Considering how much food is thrown out and wasted, might as well make use of it. Minimize wasted resources, rather than wasting more resources. :p Although, time is of course a valuable resource, and this would be a more time-confusing venture than building a fence.

Oh well. *shrugs* More important matters in the world than pigs and worms, although strangely I found the article and the responses to it mildly amusing.

True. They're feeding anyway, though. They're just not eating what they want them to be eating. I suppose the electric fence might be a decent course of action.

Still, I've raised pigs on a farm before, they'll eat pretty much anything. Considering how much food is thrown out and wasted, might as well make use of it. Minimize wasted resources, rather than wasting more resources. :p Although, time is of course a valuable resource, and this would be a more time-confusing venture than building a fence.

Oh well. *shrugs* More important matters in the world than pigs and worms, although strangely I found the article and the responses to it mildly amusing.

The issue is land encroachment and landscaping which is a haven for worms and grubs, combined with the fact that pigs like grass.

A cemetery is like a tempting buffet and salad bar to wild pigs. They also like golf courses.

The issue is land encroachment and landscaping which is a haven for worms and grubs, combined with the fact that pigs like grass.

A cemetery is like a tempting buffet and salad bar to wild pigs. They also like golf courses.

Can't say I blame them, honestly. If I were a pig I'd probably be feasting on the grass and cadaver-worms (especially given the land encroachment, as you mentioned).

Can't say I blame them, honestly. If I were a pig I'd probably be feasting on the grass and cadaver-worms (especially given the land encroachment, as you mentioned).

Yeah to them it's just a place to get a nutritious meal. They don't care that somebody "owns" it. lol the nerve of them right?

Can’t they get a pack of big ass dogs or an electric wire around the place?
Seems like it wouldn’t be too difficult to solve .

Just saying…my brother has a dog in Hawaii that kills wild boar all the time…some big ones too…he drags them back home to my brother hahaha.

Just saying…my brother has a dog in Hawaii that kills wild boar all the time…some big ones too…he drags them back home to my brother hahaha.

As long as they made use of any boars killed. Otherwise it'd be a shame and wasteful. :[

Boar bacon and all that.

As long as they made use of any boars killed. Otherwise it'd be a shame and wasteful. :[

Boar bacon and all that.
I’m sure they could make some rather good sausages.

Yeah, but then their dignified cemetery would look like Auschwitz.

Last edited:
I was just checking and pigs' hearing range goes up to about 40,000Hz; whereas humans only go to 23,000Hz.

Loud ultrasonics could help, but would drive dogs insane, whose hearing extends to 45,000Hz. Perhaps speakers could be targeted into the woods, so that the vegetation limits some of the distance the sound travels at volume.

Speaking of dogs, we see where people walking their dogs at one of the cemeteries we go to let their dogs poop on gravestones and where people walk. I own a large dog, but can have him defecate elsewhere. Some of these folk live nearby and walk their dogs there all the time.

Pigs are a nuisance, but are somewhat natural. Humans that allow their dogs to deface gravestones should let me allow my large dog to deface them. They should not be allowed. The pigs could be professionally and systematically thinned and they would leave if they lived.
Time and a place for everything.