Fed instructs teachers to Facebook creep students | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Fed instructs teachers to Facebook creep students

I was teased a lot in school.

I think that kids don't ask themselves what they are doing and why. It doesn't occur to them.

I'm curious as to how they would respond if they actually felt challenged to respond to some questions.

Sometimes children suffer in silence, because they are afraid that talking is either weak (more of a reason to get teased) or that the bully will find out (they will get a beating). They need to be given the assurance that:

1. There is someone with whom they can talk.
2. Talking to someone will not result in either of the above consequences.

The conditions that would make this capable would be:

1. The existence of someone they can look up to, whom they can see as an ally. (kids normally achieve this goal by reaching out towards other kids, making groups of friends or befriending "stronger" kids) Perhaps older kids can be taught to mentor younger kids?
2. Understanding that they are not the only ones who experience/have experienced this.

etc.

And there is quite a bit more than I could say, because this issue involves so many people (e.g. students, parents, teachers) and within these categories, there are subgroups and interpersonal interactions... not my forte, so I'll leave the ball to someone else.

Agapooka

We do this at my school. It doesn't change anything, because they aren't effectively able to block sites [too many techies who are able to get past the various filters], and many people are able to hide the use of their phones etc, or have lenient teachers.

i'm sure the technology exists to block these sites, and i'm sure it would be cheaper than hiring people to monitor these kids. how much free time do these kids have that they can spend their whole lunch period trying to get on facebook?

there's where you can crack down on teachers. take the phone or lose your job. texting in class is detrimental to a learning environment. a couple kids get phones confiscated for breaking the rules, and the rest will quiet down.

i'm sure the technology exists to block these sites, and i'm sure it would be cheaper than hiring people to monitor these kids. how much free time do these kids have that they can spend their whole lunch period trying to get on facebook?

there's where you can crack down on teachers. take the phone or lose your job. texting in class is detrimental to a learning environment. a couple kids get phones confiscated for breaking the rules, and the rest will quiet down.

Okay, well on the first section, they don't really have the funds to create a block that works well. At least that's the excuse I've been giving. I'm only somewhat computer literate and I know three ways to get past the filters. And they only take a few seconds.

The part about phones, though, I can understand, and I blame the teachers for that.