Feathered Dinosaur Tail is Found Preserved in Amber | INFJ Forum

Feathered Dinosaur Tail is Found Preserved in Amber

Enkidu

Community Member
Dec 10, 2015
Eridu
MBTI
Amber specimen offers rare glimpse of feathered dinosaur tail
Researchers from China, Canada, and the University of Bristol have discovered a dinosaur tail complete with its feathers trapped in a piece of amber.
dino-amber-article.jpg
dino-amber-reconstruction-article.jpg

The study's first author Lida Xing from the China University of Geosciences in Beijing discovered the remarkable specimen at an amber market in Myitkyina, Myanmar in 2015.

The amber piece was originally seen as some kind of plant inclusion and destined to become a curiosity or piece of jewellery, but Xing recognized its potential scientific importance and suggested the Dexu Institute of Palaeontology buy the specimen.

The researchers say the specimen represents the feathered tail of a theropod preserved in mid-Cretaceous amber about 99 million years ago. While it was initially difficult to make out details of the amber inclusion, Xing and his colleagues relied on CT scanning and microscopic observations to get a closer look.

The feathers suggest the tail had a chestnut-brown upper surface and a pale or white underside. The specimen also offers insight into feather evolution. The feathers lack a well-developed central shaft or rachis. Their structure suggests that the two finest tiers of branching in modern feathers, known as barbs and barbules, arose before a rachis formed.
"We can be sure of the source because the vertebrae are not fused into a rod or pygostyle as in modern birds and their closest relatives. Instead, the tail is long and flexible, with keels of feathers running down each side. In other words, the feathers definitely are those of a dinosaur not a prehistoric bird."
http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2016/december/dinosaur-tail-amber-.html

I wonder if Jurassic Park will do anything.

Reactions: Free and Enkidu
I know the theory had been bouncing around the science world for years, but it's truly amazing to be able to see it. Who knew raptors were such cuddle worthy fluffs? I find it almost funny that what I was taught about dinos back in my day compared to what our newest generations are learning are opposite ends of the spectrum. Almost akin to those that believed the world was flat and ignored the ancients who insisted it was round, till they realized they didn't sail off the edge. Fascinating.

I have an amber pendant with some bug parts in it, but I'm pretty sure we can't clone dinosaurs with it. Pity. :p

Reactions: Enkidu and Sandie33
I know the theory had been bouncing around the science world for years, but it's truly amazing to be able to see it. Who knew raptors were such cuddle worthy fluffs? I find it almost funny that what I was taught about dinos back in my day compared to what our newest generations are learning are opposite ends of the spectrum. Almost akin to those that believed the world was flat and ignored the ancients who insisted it was round, till they realized they didn't sail off the edge. Fascinating.

I have an amber pendant with some bug parts in it, but I'm pretty sure we can't clone dinosaurs with it. Pity. :p
I wonder if these little feather-duster-sauri cluck like chickens, when they lay eggs.

I want one as a pet.

Yeah, I totally agree. The picture above is adorable, minus the talons :yum:. Exactly, great example. I think the gist of it is that people are afraid to let go of that bias. Compare the naked, roaring lizard-monsters of the Jurassic Park franchise with the feathered, cooing, possibly warm-blooded animals that dinosaurs have become to see it's really popular perception vs working definition.

You never know, hold onto it just in case haha

Reactions: Free
Yeah, I totally agree. The picture above is adorable, minus the talons :yum:. Exactly, great example. I think the gist of it is that people are afraid to let go of that bias. Compare the naked, roaring lizard-monsters of the Jurassic Park franchise with the feathered, cooing, possibly warm-blooded animals that dinosaurs have become to see it's really popular perception vs working definition.

You never know, hold onto it just in case haha
Ha! Yeah... I don't think the Jurassic Park franchise would have been as successful if the raptors looked like:

68517eaaf6376bb9d4725d95219fc3fe.jpg

Or maybe it would have been even better! Hollywood should have given us the chance, dammit!

Ha! Yeah... I don't think the Jurassic Park franchise would have been as successful if the raptors looked like:

View attachment 31192

Or maybe it would have been even better! Hollywood should have given us the chance, dammit!
Simply amazing. :flushed: I couldn't give Hollywood my money fast enough if they re-released a 'Feathered Edition.' I can picture a horde of fifty fluff-chicks squeaking for blood.
Real science.

giphy.gif

Reactions: AUM and Wyote
Apparently T-Rex was not feathered. I am disappoint.

Reactions: JennyDaniella
Reactions: Wyote