Explain Se? | INFJ Forum

Explain Se?

justeccentricnotinsane

Community Member
Oct 7, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Hi
Can anyone shed any light on Se for me? I've come to realise that Ni,Fe and Ti all work together pretty much symbiotically, although there is a weighting toward the start of the chain.

The theory I have is as such.

On meeting a new person:

Ni - references almost imperceptible giveaways/clues about the person to an index of previous experiences and correlates/sees a pattern - this is the "immediate" part of intuition (Just knowing)
Fe - has already marked these references as "good" and "bad" based on the moral standing of the characters met previously who shared similar reference points (body language, for instance)
Ti - Prioritises these reference points - i.e. no person is actually good/bad but to an INFJ we might look to the root (intentions/motives) and see this as the most important part of character (rather than actions/words) and use this to come to a decision - we profile the person on first meeting them - good or bad.

So Ni is an unconscious and very complex catalogue or index or related experiences. It is a storeroom for every piece of information taken in throughout life and this allows the INFJ to put new information into context - see related information. Through this, Ni creates a profile that predicts what is likely to transpire from the situation based on unconscious knowledge of where they have seen each clue picked up from the external world before. It sounds a bit like Si when I put it this way, but it's quite different. It's basically just a massve and unconscious database of knowledge and observations that provides context to every piece of new info. From this context, it is possible to predict the likelihood of future events.

Fe is where the INFJ anchors herself in the real world. Any psychoanalyst, sociologist or linguist of a poststructural bent will tell that we create our identities by comparing ourselves to external things (because our thoughts are stuck in the metaphyiscal world, where meaning is created out of difference - i.e. If there were no black people, I would not know I was white, because if we all had the same skin colour we would not consider the concept of skin colour). Thus, the external world must be made rigid to make our identity feel stable. That is why the INFJ has a relatively rigid moral structure, it is a measure that helps them understand the world and as a result themselves. Everyone needs a judging function to feel that they know their place in society and to grasp an imaginary concept of who they are (in reality, we're really not that authentic).

However, all Ni has done is see where info fits in a context and what events are likely to transpire, it works with Fe to judge this info and prediction morally, but without Ti there is simply too much information. Despite our rigid morals we are well aware that no one is truly good and no one is truly evil and that everything is simply a shade of grey. Ti helps us categorise things into "good" and "bad" (according to Fe's moral standards) by getting rid of information that is deemed less important. Thus we take away parts that are inconsistent with what we see to be of importance and end up with a decision.

It is only once all functions are in use (and this, to me, is instantaneously anyway) that we get that gut reaction - you know when you see someone across a room and think "I don't like that person" - that's the process I'm talking about.

But what of Se? Does Se bring us back down to Earth? We have catalogued, judged and made a decision, does Se help us take action?

Who can explain it to me? How do INFJs use Se?

Se = holding your head up and observing the world around you. absorbing sensory information like a sponge; no thought.