Ethics of making a music video. | INFJ Forum

Ethics of making a music video.

QuickTwist

Regular Poster
Jan 18, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
So tons of bands out there, all making music videos. More often than not, its them representing that they are actually playing.

But a lot of the time, its overproductionized. What/how they would normally play is not representative to reality.

Is this ethical? I ask because it seems like they are in a way cheating the watcher of the real experience.

This is not to say that there should be no artistic licence in the making of a music video. My point is simply in the specific occurrence that they are being filmed playing a song, which is usually cut up so much to say it even remotely resembles a real playthrough of a song.

What I am getting at is that the artists are trying to represent a live playthrough of a song, but it is so far removed from that it feels a bit dishonest.

Thoughts?

Recorded music is usually recorded in studio and often not even all at the same time. It looks kinda like this. It would be hard to make a good recording and a good music video at the same time. If the band was REALLY playing in a desert, parking garage, featureless white room or whatever it wouldn't sound as good.